Windows 10 A breath of fresh air.

Started by Geoff, July 30, 2015, 12:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

I have been running Windows 8 on 2 of my machines and I know a lot of you out there did not like Windows 8 but I got on with it fine, anyway today I loaded Windows 10 onto my oldest Laptop and I was humming and R ing whether to do it or not but with a Windows 10 coming out yesterday and watching the feed back about Windows 10 I decided to go forth and install Windows 10 this morning.

The process takes about 2 hours to install and everything ran smoothly which I was very surprised there is always an hiccup along the line, but Windows 10 has done a great job of sorting all my drivers out and after careful investigation everything is working as it should be.

So what is new in Windows 10 that I have found, well the main one is Microsoft Edge and it is fast and has a useful tool where you can make notes about the web pages you are visiting, and there are more features on Edge more than I can list. Next is Cortana at first I thought its just a gimmick but it is not, I have filled my diary using Cortana and I find it a useful tool but it did have a nag at me when setting it up but that was mainly down to Language set up, now then we have the Start Button Back Yippee and yes and it is brilliant I can get to places in my computer where I could not with Windows 8 without installing a third party Button.

Windows 10 is fresh looking and it is more user friendly than any of the other operating systems they have pushed out at us and it is fast and responsive which we all like.

So why should you upgrade well if you have Windows 7 or Windows 8 then it is free for 12 months from yesterday and that was a big yes to me.

So if you decide to go with Windows 10 then back up all your files before taking on this operating system you just never know.

If you have signed up for Windows 10 and Microsoft has put you in a queue then do not worry go this site it tells you how to by pass the waiting list like I did.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/jump-the-line-and-get-windows-10-right-now/
Geoff

Sprintex

I'll stick with W7 thanks, every time they change it it takes ages to get used to where everything is again! :D

As for that Cortana thing after seeing the adverts it's just another step in the direction of the Zager & Evans song "In The Year 2525" :no:

Paul

Jack

I've been using Windows 10 as part of the Microsoft Insider program from the start of January this year. Yes when you play with Beta software I had problems in the beginning. I've done clean installs and upgrade installs on on all the various pre-releases, using both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. (I used two different hard drives).

I found in all cases the problems only came with clean installs (driver issues), where as when I upgraded over Win7 or Win8.1 then problems were few if any. Yes there is a bit of relearning the odd thing to what you maybe used to, but all in all, my opinion on Windows 10 is the same as Geoff.

It is possible to download from Microsoft a copy that you can burn to DVD for installation if needed after the free period is over, you will need your genuine product key from your Win7/Win8 installation to use it.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Jools

I've considered it by am holding off for the time being.

I understand why they've provided the free upgrade route - one of the reasons applications have been so buggy in the past is because developers have had to concentrate on making each iteration of the software products compatible with multiple versions at the same time, which pushes up development and testing costs, and results in it not being possible to test every possible scenario.

By getting as many users as possible onto the same version of windows in a relatively short time, it means that developers can concentrate on compatibility with a single OS - don't be surprised it windows 7 is declared "end of life" much sooner than XP was!

However, I'm not convinced all of the answers surrounding the free upgrade route have been addressed :

Firstly, it has to be an upgrade, - so if my hard drive fails or I have to reinstall for any other reason, I'm going to have to go through the messy situation of

• installing the full copy of windows 7
  • waiting a week for it to install all the updates (because Microsoft refuse to offer an up to date service pack for 7 and it has to be up to date before upgrading to ten
  • and then upgrade to 10 again..

Secondly, the free upgrade path is only available for a year.

• I've not yet seen the question be answered on if that means you can only qualify for a free upgrade for the first year
  • or if once qualifed, you can use that upgrade as many times as you need to long into the future
my worry is that if I have to reinstall in 18 months, along with the longwinded process above, I'd be forced to pay -  Microsoft are being cagey on if the qualification of the free upgrade is linked to the PC's GUID (genuine unique id) which could change if a reinstall was required - if it is then come reinstall after 12 months, your  :censored:

with any luck, within a couple of weeks someone will figure out an answer to the above and i'll be able to upgrade , as a reasonably tecchy person feels a bit strange not being on the newest one  :)

keithfre

Quote from: Jools on July 30, 2015, 07:49:18 PM
so if my hard drive fails or I have to reinstall for any other reason, I'm going to have to go through the messy situation of

• waiting a week for it to install all the updates (because Microsoft refuse to offer an up to date service pack for 7 and it has to be up to date before upgrading to ten

Couldn't you get round that by just making a system backup onto an external drive before installing 10 for the first time?

Jools

Quote from: keithfre on July 30, 2015, 08:25:53 PM
Quote from: Jools on July 30, 2015, 07:49:18 PM
so if my hard drive fails or I have to reinstall for any other reason, I'm going to have to go through the messy situation of

Couldn't you get round that by just making a system backup onto an external drive before installing 10 for the first time?

If / When I  goto 10 I'm planning on doing a clean install of 7 first, and doing as you say.
My current OS has been installed for around 2 years so its starting to show the odd bit of tardiness due to the accumulated junk that builds up in the registry and elsewhere over time.

While I'm fastidious about backing up personal data, for my personal machines i've never seen the point in backing up the system state - I've always treated hardware failures as an opportunity for a fresh OS install to clear out the accumulated junk - not to mention that if motherboard/CPU/ are changed the likelyhood is a system state restore isn't likely to work unless I could find the same motherboard/CPU combination, and that's never easy given the pace of change in PC's.

At work in a server environment its different, the same hardware is, if not produced, held in stock for at least 4 -6 years - we managed to get parts for a 8 year old server that runs a lot of our legacy applications , so a system state -> bare metal restore is usually viable.

i'm sure my reservations will be put to bed in the next few weeks anyway but for now i'm holding back!

Adam1701D

Just put it on my main PC and it seem fine. The new Start Menu is most welcome and the Edge browser is nice and fast. The Electra website displays OK, so it gets my seal of approval!

Upgrading from Windows 8.1 was no hassle at all with all my files and programs transferring over properly.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Jack

Jools;

Apologises if I'm teaching "Granny" to suck eggs on this one.

As I said in my previous post, it is possible to download so as to do a clean install a copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10?OCID=WIP_r_Win10_Body_AddPC

You will need, as the instructions say, your Product Key from your Win7 or Win8.1 Installation. You will need to download any necessary drivers from the manufacturer.

If your installation was preinstalled on the computer you purchased then when that machine dies then so does your licence for the OS. That's the nature of OEM licences.

The only way a Full System Backup from another source will work in the event of a motherboard failure is if you can get a like for like replacement. Any slight difference and the backup will fail as the MB drivers are likely to be different. In the case of a machine being two years of age or older the probability of getting a like for like replacement will not be good unless you are able to return it to original manufacturer or their agents, under some form of extended warranty. Replacing a dead Hard Drive shouldn't be a problem, you could even use an SSD if one can fit your system.

Once again, I apologise if I'm teaching "Granny" to suck eggs.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Jools

Quote from: Jack on July 30, 2015, 09:14:05 PM
Jools;

Apologises if I'm teaching "Granny" to suck eggs on this one.

As I said in my previous post, it is possible to download so as to do a clean install a copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10?OCID=WIP_r_Win10_Body_AddPC

You will need, as the instructions say, your Product Key from your Win7 or Win8.1 Installation. You will need to download any necessary drivers from the manufacturer.

If your installation was preinstalled on the computer you purchased then when that machine dies then so does your licence for the OS. That's the nature of OEM licences.

The only way a Full System Backup from another source will work in the event of a motherboard failure is if you can get a like for like replacement. Any slight difference and the backup will fail as the MB drivers are likely to be different. In the case of a machine being two years of age or older the probability of getting a like for like replacement will not be good unless you are able to return it to original manufacturer or their agents, under some form of extended warranty. Replacing a dead Hard Drive shouldn't be a problem, you could even use an SSD if one can fit your system.

Once again, I apologise if I'm teaching "Granny" to suck eggs.

no need to apologise,  I think you may be correct here Jack - on the Microsoft site you've linked to it clearly says that if you need to reinstall after upgrading you can do so as a fresh install.

however - two hours ago I read exactly the opposite on another Microsoft site  :doh: so i think i'll wait untill someone's tried it and suffered through microsoft's support untill i try it myself  :D

Railwaygun

Quote from: Sprintex on July 30, 2015, 12:41:16 PM
I'll stick with W7 thanks, every time they change it it takes ages to get used to where everything is again! :D

As for that Cortana thing after seeing the adverts it's just another step in the direction of the Zager & Evans song "In The Year 2525" :no:

Paul

or the Sirius Cybernetic Corporation??
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

austinbob

Did a Windows 10 upgrade yesterday - all went very smoothly.
Bitdefender did an automatic upgrade to Windows 10 version - no problems
Iolo System Mechanic asked me to spend a small amount of cash to upgrade to the Windows 10 version - no problems.
Microsoft Money 2001 (yes 2001!!) wouldn't run because it couldn't find the right version of Internet Explorer. Quick web search found a registry tweak which fixed the problem.
Everything else seems ok.
I have to say this is the easiest Windows upgrade I have ever done!!

I'll probably regret saying that when I try to run a program I'd forgotten all about!!
Quite impressed so far - not sure about 'Edge' the new browser. Haven't figured this one yet. Still using Chrome which works just fine.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

MikeDunn

Can't say I agree with being impressed ...

Pulled it down from MS, & stuck it in a VM as a clean install.  Went OK (well, it should, shouldn't it  ::)) and had a play ...

Hmmm.  The Edge browser is better than IE I guess ... but seems extremely cluttered with crap (why the  :censored: do I care about the X Factor  ???) ...  Having a better default page will sort that out though, not to mention replacing with a non-MS browser !  Having to register for the Windows App Store for stuff is a pain ... as is the default settings of "I allow M$ to look all through this install & everything I ever do on it" !  That all got turned off on the actual install (I tend to select 'custom' rather than default because of this type of privacy invasion).

Will I allow this PC, or SWMBO's to go to Win 10 ?  Only if I really have to ...  Win7 is still around another 5 years (support ceases 14 Jan 2020) so I see no real hurry  :P

Of course - YMMV ...  but companies are avoiding Win 8.2 (oops sorry, I meant Win 10) & staying with Win 7 just like they avoided Win 8 & 8.1 ...

Caz

Quote from: Only Me on August 01, 2015, 08:34:09 PM
Ok. So as a test i upped the spare slaptop to 10.... It wont load the pr3 digitrax drivers now

SO BE WARNED DIGITRAX BRETHREN.....

Think I saw something on the Digitrax Yahoo group about following the Digitrax Win8 driver install to overcome the problem.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Geoff

Just another note in windows update go to Advanced settings and un check the box or windows will update all your windows 10 computers when your not expecting it.

My Loco's are all running fine via Train Controller.
Geoff

austinbob

Quote from: Only Me on August 01, 2015, 08:34:09 PM
Ok. So as a test i upped the spare slaptop to 10.... It wont load the pr3 digitrax drivers now

SO BE WARNED DIGITRAX BRETHREN.....
I suppose we're going to get these variations in experience of Windows 10 upgrade with various programs for a while. Depends what you're running, what version etc.
I have found a lot of the problems people encounter already have solutions if you search the web and the microsoft forums.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations