Windows 10 A breath of fresh air.

Started by Geoff, July 30, 2015, 12:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

started getting a popup on the side of explorer, some  :censored: about deals. managed to opt out forever, which was confirmed, then it came back so went to programs, great find, and used its uninstaller.

hopefully that's it gone now.

used to get the skype window in the task bar with win 8, just used to click it and select exit skype, and it would disappear.

in win 10 it appeared again, but would not 'close window' or 'exit skype'

again into the files, and deleted it.

still got the logo on the task bar but hopefully that will go on the next restart.

alan

GrahamB

Having sorted out my laptop I started updating my daughters much newer desktop. That was over seven hours ago. It has failed three times so far. The screen just goes blank but the monitor says it's not in screen saver mode.

No amount of key pressing does anything. Left it blank for over an hour (1 hours since I decided to time it) so I don't think I'm rushing it.

Any ideas?
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Jon898

I've been hesitant to post this in fear of unleashing a firestorm, but here goes.  My laptop was running Vista and was beginning to exhibit signs of the impending abandonment of that OS by Microsoft such as no more updates to IE and an increasing number of sites that tell me my browser is out of date.  OK, I can use Firefox, but wait, Win10 was soon to come out...should I change to that  :hmmm:?  Then the Norton A/V subscription needed renewing, again  :hmmm:.  And the laptop hardware was getting a little long in the tooth (I'd already had one HDD die on me).  And twice a week an average of 15 "Security Updates" were being downloaded and installed from MS, tying up the machine for at least half an hour at a time.

SWMBO said "why don't you just get a Mac, I love mine?  That way you can be my tech support and not hide behind the claim that my iMac is too different  from the PC."

Yikes, they're expensive!  But wait, I have a keyboard, mouse, printer, monitor (actually a 24" TV)...why not a Mac Mini at under US$700 with all the software I need built in and bulletproof?  It could have been under US$500, but I wanted to future-proof it with a healthy RAM and HDD.

So two weeks ago I bit the bullet and sprang for one.  Reading this thread, I'm SOOO glad I did.  Yes I know Win10 is a free update (although officially Vista users have to buy a new Win 7, Win 8 or Win 10 license), but did I really want to stay on the MS jalopy?  So far, the only issues I have are that the "End" key takes me to the end of a page and not the end of the text when editing, and for some reason the "Insert Hyperlink" button on this forum no longer seems to be needed.

Sorry, I'll get the hat and coat and I know where the door is.

Jon

NTrain

My laptop finally allowed me to do the upgrade.

I nearly panicked when my Rhino 3 CAD software would not let me save files in .stl format. However, all I had to do was re-load some add-ons. Problem solved.

My e-mails worked, Waterfox, Corel Draw 9, Nettfab Studio, Paint Shop Pro 7, all seem to be working.....................

So I have agreed to update the wife's laptop as well...................

austinbob

I'm afraid that, for me, the breath of fresh air has turned rather stale.
Quite a few annoying little bugs had developed like...

Windows DVD player didn't work

Kept getting annoying pop up messages about virus programs and defender being switched off (Bitdefender always indicated it was on)

Internet connection kept dropping although my other computer worked fine.

BSOD with error message - eventually fixed

etc. etc. etc.

So I've now reloaded my Windows 7 system image to get back where I was before.

>:(
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

MikeDunn

???  You reloaded Win7 or you used the regression option in Win10 ?

austinbob

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 09, 2015, 10:09:24 AM
???  You reloaded Win7 or you used the regression option in Win10 ?
Neither Mike.
Before I 'upgraded' to Windows 10 I made a system image of my Windows 7 installation using Windows Backup and also made a Windows repair disk to boot from.
So all I did was to reload my Windows 7 system image by booting from the repair disk. So now everything is exactly as it was before I installed Windows 7 including all applications, settings etc.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

guest311

anyone know how to remove something from favourites in Win10 ?

I've tried right click on item, then click on remove, but nothing happens, and even after a restart the item is still there.

re going back to Win7, I too made an image of my hard drive, but forgot to make a repair disk. :dunce:

is there another way of 'going back' if I decide that Win10 is not for me ?

alan

MikeDunn

Win10 has built-in regression, but only for 30 days I think

guest311

thank you Mike, guess I need to make my mind up then
alan

Oldman

Have decided not to update and am going to do a restore to factory  on 8.1
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Bealman

This is all putting me off... I can drive this forum with Vista!!!!

Or Anderpants, depending on which device I'm on  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Lankyman

Got a message last week to say that Win10 was ready on my PC but decided to leave it until I had some time this week. Tried the link from the icon twice but both times the 10 sec prep time extended to over an hour so I gave up. Then I looked at Windows Update and it told me the download was ready so I clicked on that and off we went. Two hours later we had completed 75% of the upgrade when the screen went blank. As it had said it would be restarting several times I left it for an hour but then lost my patience. As I couldn't get it to wake I switched it off which it refused to do and then restarted by attempting to configure Win10. After 2 attempts the machine gave up and automatically went back to Win7. The following day I tried again but this time I left it to do its own thing and went out. When I came back after a couple of hours the screen was black and the machine would not wake. Eventually it sprung to life and revealed that is was once again at the 75% point of the upgrade and then it proceeded to configure Win10.

That was two days ago. Currently I have a working PC but if it doesn't start behaving itself by this time next week it is definitely going back to Win7. I do not like Edge and I hate it being plastered with adverts for rubbish I have no interest in. I cannot get Mozilla Firefox to work at all. I cannot get the new Mail app to work although I still have Outlook 2010, albeit constantly pestered with error message. I cannot open pdf documents with Adobe Reader, I have just about managed to open some Word and Excel documents but with error messages. AVG Antivirus appears to be working but AVG Tune Up won't open. None of the other programmes will work at all so the whole thing is a mess. As I am typing this I keep getting Application Error messages but I don't know which app it is talking about. Somebody please tell me that it will all sort itself out in a couple of days.

Frustrated of Leyland (aka Ron)  :veryangry: :veryangry: :help:
Ron

NTrain

I am using Waterfox on mine with no problems (so far)

Oldman

Another question,do any of the free antivirus programs work properly?
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations