Tiny TrackZ (our new game)

Started by zwilnik, July 29, 2015, 09:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MalcolmInN

Quote from: d-a-n on August 15, 2015, 08:41:06 AM
Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on August 15, 2015, 06:48:39 AM
Without going into technicalities - just a simple "yes" or "no" please, will it run on Windows 7 or 10?

No
:laughabovepost:
Such a plethora of platforms !
Whatever happened to Java ? the great white hope for a cross-platform standard :)
I blame Linus Torvalds for not applying a "controlling mind" strategy,, else weed all be using Linux now :(

PS I have no intention of paying for any iThingie device for which I would need a Fresnel lens (or paraffin filled magnifier) to be able to see owt ! :laugh:

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Railwaygun on August 18, 2015, 11:32:55 PM
AAAARGH - I've just tried to shunt a gunpowder van with a light engine

Nick R

At the risk of being called 'pedantic' (it won't be the first time  :-*) it ceased to be a 'light engine' the moment you added the van!  :)
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

zwilnik

Quote from: MalcolmAL on August 19, 2015, 12:02:24 AM

:laughabovepost:
Such a plethora of platforms !
Whatever happened to Java ? the great white hope for a cross-platform standard :)
I blame Linus Torvalds for not applying a "controlling mind" strategy,, else weed all be using Linux now :(

Java's still going although somewhat irrelevant as there's a ton of security issues with it. We're actually using Unity to develop our current games, which can build them for most platforms. The language/development system isn't the issue though, it's simply the market on the various platforms.

Android users (generally) never pay for *anything* as the entire system is designed around everything being 'free' and the user's data being the product that's marketed to advertisers. It's possible to be successful on Android, but you need a free to play game full of ads and a big ad budget to get it going. It's also such a huge and fragmented platform it's impossible to write and test a complex game that's bug free and reasonably playable on anything other than a fraction of the devices out there.

Windows is still a potentially viable platform with dedicated gamers that pay for their games. However the large number of different configurations still makes it a big job to test for and it's a hard one to market on unless you're lucky enough to get on Steam.

Linux has some of the "why should I pay for it?" mindset and not as many people who play games, but the ones that do are actually pretty serious about it. I know a couple of developers who do Linux versions of their games just because they've got a dedicated fan base there that buys them. If there's enough Linux gamers out there prepared to pay for a version of our games (and potentially put up with being unpaid testers while we get them working on the platform) it might be worthwhile. There's still the fragmentation issue as every Linux rig is different, so you kind of have to keep your fingers crossed that it'll work on any given set of hardware, drivers etc. :)

Or in non detailed terms, they're not just "computers" or "phones", they're complex systems of semi-random components and software that we have no idea if a given piece of software will work on. The advantage to us of working on Apple systems to launch games is that we know they'll work a specific way because Apple did both the software and the hardware.

Oh and don't shunt the fragile van too many times ;)

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Zwilnik on August 19, 2015, 08:56:19 AMit's simply the market on the various platforms.
Very interesting analysis Z. thank you, no wonder M$ is so worried that they 'gave away' Win8.1+Bing in attempt to regain market.
Just Xyears ago ( X = debatable number :) ) there would have been no question, you would have been doing a Windows freeware teaser + paid-for upgrade !! How times/things change.

Quote from: Zwilnik on August 19, 2015, 08:56:19 AMevery Linux rig is different, so you kind of have to keep your fingers crossed that it'll work on any given set of hardware, drivers etc. :)

Or in non detailed terms, they're not just "computers" or "phones", they're complex systems of semi-random components and software that we have no idea if a given piece of software will work on.
Neat way of putting it ! i like it :)
Yes, hence my "controlling mind" comment. Not controlling in the M$ sense, just a core or center-of-gravity without preventing other avenues,  but I think he delighted in the anarchy :)

I'll not disturb your thread any more,
good luck.

PS I didnt know that extent of Android, wont be getting one of those neiver  :laugh3:

MikeDunn

Quote from: Zwilnik on August 19, 2015, 08:56:19 AM
Java's still going although somewhat irrelevant
Irrelevant ???  LOL  :no: :no: :no:

Thus speaks an iDeveloper ... the only Church is Apple ...

zwilnik

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 19, 2015, 01:34:49 PM

From the games point of view it's totally irrelevant.

MikeDunn

Your opinion ... plenty of other games devs disagree - but then, they work on platforms you seem to think are irrelevant as well (albeit they hold 75% of the device market - but no doubt that's irrelevant too)

MalcolmInN

That was a bit sharp !
Java was my thought,
it was not beholden to Z. to subscribe, nor need to justify his position from that which he desired !!
I look forward to Mike's DOS version , , ,
>:D:angel:

njee20

When Google and Mozilla have blocked Java by default because of the horrendous security issues I'd say it's a brave developer that champions its use!

NeMo

As a Mac user since 1990, I really like it when PC users complain that a bit of software developed for Apple platforms isn't available for their chosen platform.  >:D

Having had to put up with that situation for over twenty years, and especially during the 90s when Windows users insisted my preferred operating system was obsolete and dying, there's a delicious sense of schadenfreude when people complain about something not being on Windows (or Android for that matter).  :P

Not very nice of me I accept, but nonetheless looking forward to the OS X version!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

zwilnik

I've just submitted an update of Tiny TrackZ to the App Store. Focused on optimisation and bug fixes, but after Tank mentioned his son wanting to play more with the train sets, I've also made it so the second train set is playable without unlocking when you have the game in Kids Mode. Assuming a non-crazy review time, it'll hopefully be available in 6-7 days.

Railwaygun

wheee - time for more playing with my Toy Trainz!!

How are sales going? will we have a global Ranking list??
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

zwilnik

Quote from: Railwaygun on August 28, 2015, 07:13:12 PM
wheee - time for more playing with my Toy Trainz!!

How are sales going? will we have a global Ranking list??

Sales aren't stunning, although it did get to number 1 in puzzle games in Luxembourg and it's done pretty well in Germany (to the point where we're looking at German localisation and German rolling stock).

if you're playing on Game Center, the leaderboards show how well you're scoring against everyone else :)

Tank

I hope sales improve for you over here.  Great little game, very well put together.  The graphics are superb!

Thanks again for our requests.  Waiting patiently for the update!  :D

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: NeMo on August 21, 2015, 08:22:10 AM

Not very nice of me I accept, but nonetheless looking forward to the OS X version!

Cheers, NeMo

Hi NeMo, I didn't know that they were working on an OutSized X rated version.  ;)   :-[

OK,  :sorrysign:, , where did I leave my coat?  :wave:
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%