!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Suggestion for Revolution Trains or any other company  (Read 3360 times)

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion for Revolution Trains or any other company
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »
That said, wouldn't a (modern) Class 90 be more useful?

We *might* see an updated 90 from Farish as they produce their 4mm version, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  I can't see the point in any manufacturer investing in tooling for something that is going to be a marginal seller at best.  If the existing 90 offends people so much then there are some simple wins in terms of improving them.

Ideally I'd have bought two 86s at normal retail price - one in BR blue and one in InterCity, but the BR blue ones are as rare as hen's teeth (IIRC there was a run of 250 for a model shop?) and the InterCity ones are hard to find too, and not available new.

So from my point of view the demand is there, the supply is not.

I think that what you are describing is just the nature of batch production - you buy it when you can and if you don't then you risk missing out.

I'm not so pessimistic about AC electrics - I'm sure we will get the chance for a 92 in the next few years. I still think the big area that the manufacturers have yet to really work out how to exploit easily is multiple units (diesel and electric).

Cheers, Mike

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 06:37:55 PM »
That said, wouldn't a (modern) Class 90 be more useful?
We *might* see an updated 90 from Farish as they produce their 4mm version, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  I can't see the point in any manufacturer investing in tooling for something that is going to be a marginal seller at best.  If the existing 90 offends people so much then there are some simple wins in terms of improving them.
I've seen a RMWeb thread on this, but despite the ingenuity of the modelling done there, it still doesn't look as good as contemporary models. Putting the bufferbeam on the bogie looks odd and the detailing on the bodywork and roof is a bit basic by modern standards. This model doesn't have lights, a generic pantograph, and so far as I know, isn't DCC ready.

So honestly, I'm not sure there are any simple ways to make a top-notch model from the current Class 90, and plenty of scope for a revised, modernised version in my opinion.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 09:27:31 PM »
Bachmann have gone on record as saying that what they do in OO they will use the CADs and stuff for N and vice versa, making the most of their research investments which makes sense. By that reasoning we should eventually see the class 85 and 90 from Farish... The only problem is when.

Dapol announced the class 92 and later said it was on "the back burner" due to poor sales of the class 86. When Dave Jones was at Dapol he did say the 86 "wiped its face" which means Dapol are now making a profit from the sales of the class 86, albeit possibly small. Maybe it is time for a rerelease of the 86 in blue, executive and swallow, possibly electric blue too. That way Dapol would be making the most of their investment in this model.

Personally I have 6 class 86's (2 x blue/swallow/NSE/RES/RFD) and would love more 86's and other WCML stock to go with them, specially the APT. I'm just not convinced about my kit building ability having failed at a TPM class 60. But I have put a compressor and airbrush kit on watch on ebay, so watch this space!

Cheers
Mark

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 10:34:40 PM »
I'm not so pessimistic about AC electrics - I'm sure we will get the chance for a 92 in the next few years. I still think the big area that the manufacturers have yet to really work out how to exploit easily is multiple units (diesel and electric).

May make that my signature, so you're reminded of that Mike  ;)

Offline alibuchan

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My page on shapeways
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 03:22:48 PM »
The biggest issue with the 92s was that until very recently there hadn't been a huge amount of liveries to put on it triple grey with a couple of one offs. But now with stobart, EWS, DB Schenker, GBRf, Cali Sleeper applications, there are a few more that can be done.

However I don't see either of the big 2 doing it as they have been stung with electrics being poor sellers. So it would be down to a crowd funding entity to run with it. Unlike the Pendo, the 92 doesn't have that same wow factor and wouldn't be available as a complete train.

That said I would buy one if it were done, but having just paid the second part of my bill to CJM for his 92, I hope that it isn't too near as I want to get my enjoyment out of what is a large chunk of my money!

Alistair

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »
There's been a couple in EWS since 2003! Likewise triple grey with beasties, plus the various triple grey variants, and the GBRF ones were around before Dapol 'shelved it'. I think the reticence is more about having their fingers burned as you say. I'd question if Dapol were ever really going to achieve that anyway, it's been discussed ad nauseum how woeful their production schedules can be.

But we digress... I'd love a 92. I've flirted with a CJM one a few times, but just can't justify it. I have a 3D printed one I must finish ruining! I'd love a Revolution one, or 3...

Online acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 09:36:43 PM »
As much as I would love a RTR 92 I think the pros and cons are currently too finely balanced for a major company to take the plunge.

The advantage I can see of the 92s over the 86s currently is they can be used for 3rd rail layouts as well as Overhead layouts, and with Dapol saying they have had Poor 86 sales generally it's a big ask to rely of a single advantage.

Although as I have previously pondered on the forum with the introduction of the Pendolino thanks to Mike and Ben will more AC electric models appear, and after looking on Hattons website it appears Dapol will be producing OHL gantries in the future.
If Dapol do then we could see a RTR 92 but until then I think we are going to have a limited class 92 choice either CJM or the 3D prints like RusselH does. 

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal