!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Britannia  (Read 10049 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Britannia
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2018, 06:05:17 PM »
Whilst there are many people on here who are really good at railway modelling & as such are engineers. However, there are some of us who are not & never will be. That is not to say that I don't enjoy the hobby & we are building a layoutvwe are happy with. So, you have to ask the question why are Dapol happy to issue instructions for me to get my fists of ham & eyes that don't work very well anymore into the innards of a beautiful loco? Net result is a load of bits & a very sorry looking Robert Burns! The only saving grace is that I only paid £75 off of a well known site for it. The previous owner stated that it had not been run in or oiled. So...... Anyway is there someone who could sort it? Am happy to pay for your time but woul rather someone on here do the repairs  than a shop.

PM me - happy to have a look.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Dickydcc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2019, 08:56:25 PM »
The latest on my Brittannia, we gave the wheels a clean when I turned it back over  the drive shaft fell out. We manged to get it back in but now when it goes over points you can hear the drive shaft hitting something. What do I need to do? As ever thanks for any help....

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2019, 01:32:39 AM »
Sounds like expanded traction tyres lifting the rear end and causing a clash. Seen this several times - either the tyres are unseated, or need replaced.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2019, 11:12:35 PM »
Sounds like expanded traction tyres lifting the rear end and causing a clash. Seen this several times - either the tyres are unseated, or need replaced.

Cheers,
Alan

It seems that Dapol's traction tyres last a lot better than Farish's (at least in my experience) but when they start to go you get certain symptoms while the tyres still look as if they are working, at least to the naked eye.

Particularly the loco starts slogging up and down at the back end. Side to side is usually a function of back-to-back measurement on the wheels and is a bit of a pig to cure if too big to ignore.  Up and down indicates the tyre is becoming unseated from part of the wheel rim, often because of wear.  A good look through a magnifying glass will confirm.

I'm too hamfisted to be certain I won't make it worse if I change the tyre myself.  As locos with worn tyres generally have a good few miles to their credit I take this as a sign the loco could do with a service by DCC Supplies.  The tyre fitting seems to be part of the service charge.

Just a satisfied customer.  My average tyre life seems to be about 25 to 30 miles of running.

Les

Offline bigmac

• N Gauge Society Number: n/a
  • 2mm Association Number: n/a
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2019, 08:12:38 AM »
my dapol brit was running wobbly the other day--then i saw a traction tyre mangled up in the motion. snipped it off and the brit is running nicely again.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2019, 08:23:28 AM »
Removed the traction tyres on mine and now runs perfectly - Pulls eight coach train no problem. I've removed traction tyres on a couple of other models as well when they started to fail. No running problems and pull reasonable trains. However, I have no inclines or 9" curves on my layout.
 :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2019, 08:51:20 AM »
Removed the traction tyres on mine and now runs perfectly - Pulls eight coach train no problem. I've removed traction tyres on a couple of other models as well when they started to fail. No running problems and pull reasonable trains. However, I have no inclines or 9" curves on my layout.

I would not do this if you have insulfrog points in particular. The raised ridge at the groove edge will badly wear point frogs in time, and electrofrogs will wear the edges of the wheels.

If this must be done (rather than simply changing the tyres, which is relatively simple), you would be better to replace the rear wheelset with a non-grooved one.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2019, 09:26:33 AM »
Point taken Alan. I don't have any insulfrog points and each of my locos individually don't get many hours running. So I'm happy to carry on for the moment. Loco tyres, as opposed to tender tyres, are sometimes such a pain to source and to change.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2019, 03:31:05 PM »

I would not do this if you have insulfrog points in particular. The raised ridge at the groove edge will badly wear point frogs in time, and electrofrogs will wear the edges of the wheels.

If this must be done (rather than simply changing the tyres, which is relatively simple), you would be better to replace the rear wheelset with a non-grooved one.

Cheers,
Alan

Alan,

Is there likely to be a problem on fiNetrax code 40 bullhead points? 

Also, how easy is it to replace the rear wheel-set please? 

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2019, 04:38:03 PM »
I'd presume it's only going to be worse as you have less tolerance to wear etc.

Really, it's simplest just to replace the tyres - the models all came with a pair of spares in the details bag.

Cheers,
Alan

Online ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2019, 11:01:50 AM »
I'd presume it's only going to be worse as you have less tolerance to wear etc.

Really, it's simplest just to replace the tyres - the models all came with a pair of spares in the details bag.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks Alan,

Unfortunately, there was no bag of bits provided with the loco, and the only paperwork I have is the leaflet regarding oiling instructions and power types. 

I was therefore unaware there should be one as there's no mention regarding changing tyres or fitting details.  It was purchased in "pre-owned - like new" condition from Hattons over a year ago, and has only been test run on code 80 track. 

Could you please tell me what else the bag would have contained, perhaps I can find appropriate parts at DCC Supplies. 

:thankyousign:

Offline Dickydcc

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2019, 12:49:26 PM »
I think mine had the usual buffer beam bits, 2 spare traction tyres & a spare drive shaft.

My Britannia now runs fine, after having been sent away for repair twice. It looks magnificent  running round Thetford Rd, it was almost worth all the trouble! I tend not to run it for too long as it gets a bit warm. I think maybe Dapol locos are a bit like Alfa's?

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »
Could you please tell me what else the bag would have contained, perhaps I can find appropriate parts at DCC Supplies. 

All would have come with
- a pair of traction tyres
- short and long fixed knuckle couplers
- a total of 4 vacuum pipes for front and rear
- tender brake handles for fixing to the cab end of the tender
- replacement pair of loco-tender power wires and some screws

The most recent models would also have come with a set of Dapol's easi-shunt couplers in a separate bag too.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »
My newest ones also has a hexagonal head driver to do the bolts on the drivers when changing tyres.

martyn

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2019, 03:43:14 PM »
My newest ones also has a hexagonal head driver to do the bolts on the drivers when changing tyres.

martyn

Yes! I forgot that - the early ones didn't have that, as they had screws instead of hex-bolts.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations