!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

What do you think of this model?

Superb
28 (63.6%)
Good
13 (29.5%)
OK
2 (4.5%)
Poor
0 (0%)
Terrible
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Dapol - Class 86  (Read 23413 times)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - Class 86
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2015, 10:39:24 AM »
Now I really want a BR blue one, which means I'm going to have to learn about painting at some point (I have the candidates already...)

I've repainted two AC locos into BR blue, one Dapol 86 and one Farish 87.

In most regards it's pretty easy. Solid blue was easy to airbrush across the body, and then brush-painting some sort of grey for the 'well' part of the roof where the pantograph goes. Picking out the wires and insulators in red and brown respectively is surprisingly easy if you use a really fine paint brush.

The only real challenge for me has been the yellow front ends. Getting the windows out is really difficult because they're glued in; I found it impossible without breaking them, though someone may know of the right solvent to use without damaging the transparent plastic. Once out, I brush-painted the yellow around the window frames and the front end, using Tamiya masking tape to try and keep things neat. But I'm still not 100% happy with the results. Likely airbrushing would be better.

One problem is that yellow doesn't cover BR blue particularly well, and works a lot better on primer. I suppose ideally you'd mask off the bits you want to paint yellow while applying the blue, then mask the other way around when applying the yellow. I painted the yellow over the blue though, which meant I had to put several coats of yellow on, and that of course obscures the detail a bit if you're not careful.

Do bear in mind that Dapol mostly sell the 86/4 variant, which doesn't have exactly the same front-end jumpers as most (any?) of the BR blue 86s. A bit of sanding away may be needed to remove one or two bits if you want to match a specific loco. The Farish 87 on the other hand merely has front-end details applied as decals, so it's more forgiving in that regard.

Cheers, NeMo

NGS Journal Editor

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2015, 12:12:48 PM »
I need to read up on my Class 86 subclasses, it's been a while (about 25 years) since I knew that kind of thing off by heart.

FWIW I did notice a difference in roof detail on the Network Yellow versions compared to the 86/2. Extra box or something.

Anyway it will be a while before I get that far, small baby and nascent layout taking all my time. But the day will come (via some practice locos, junk Japanese ones good for experimenting with are available but the bucketload  :D )
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »
Hi Nemo,
I always start with the lightest colour first, allow to dry and then work through to the darkest colour last. It makes spraying the yellow much easier..

for railsquid:

The main differences between the subclasses seem to be:

Class 86/0- no flexicoil suspension springs on bogies, no jumper cables on front originally but were fitted with multiple working jumper cables later. Never fitted with TDM cables or headlight.

Class 86/1- seems to be as per Dapol model, some had a box with a window on the roof

Class 86/2- As per Dapol model, no cab front jumper cables. TDM and headlight fitted towards the mid '80s. 2 different Dapol bodyshells available, Only C&M models Ltd edition bodyshells had no headlight.

86205/212/214/220/225/228/230/234/253  had longitudinal fire bottles as per class 86/9 in Swallow livery 1998/2000.
86215/217/227/235/238/246 had longitudinal fire bottles as per class 86/9 in Anglia livery. 1999
86244 has an extra box on roof in blue Livery. Still there in 1997 in swallow livery.
86212/222/226/229/231/236/242/244/245/251/256/258/259/260 had longitudinal fire bottles as per class 86/9 in Virgin colours 2001/2.
86238 still had a cross arm pantograph in 1984
86240/243 TDM fitted but no headlight in Executive livery 1988

Class 86/3- No flexicoil springs on bogies. Multiple working cables fitted to fronts as per 86/0

Class 86/4- As per Dapol model. Multiple working cables fitted and removed progressively from late '80s or early '90s. TDM cables and headlights fitted from mid '80's so they carried both types of cables on the front for a while.

Class 86/5- Freight loco's- Seems to be as per Dapol model with TDM cables and headlights fitted.

Class 86/6- Freight loco's- seems to be as per Dapol model with TDM cables and Headlight. Some later ones have a transverse fitted fire bottle on the roof, Dapol produce this detail on Freightliner loco's

Class 86/9- Network Rail- Seems to be as per Dapol model with headlight but all cab front jumper cables removed.  2 longitudinal Fire bottles on the roof, Dapol produce this detail on their class 86/9 loco's

These are just the basic differences I can see but hopefully give an idea of the differences. If anyone comes across Multiple working jumper cables for the 86 Could they please let me know? I can't find them anywhere.

Cheers
Mark
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:34:32 PM by scruff »

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »
FWIW I did notice a difference in roof detail on the Network Yellow versions compared to the 86/2. Extra box or something.
I do believe that the extra cylinders visible on Dapol 86s are fire extinguishers. Not sure when these were fitted, but they are absent from my C&M Models blue 86, so I'm guessing they must have been sectorisation or privatisation thing.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2015, 12:58:41 PM »
Hi Nemo,
I always start with the lightest colour first, allow to dry and then work through to the darkest colour last. It makes spraying the yellow much easier.
Makes sense. Will try that next time.

A thought: Maybe even just mask off the yellow part of the Network Rail liveried ones and cover everything else blue!  :hmmm:

Cheers and thanks,

NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2015, 01:32:48 PM »
Hi Nemo,
I always start with the lightest colour first, allow to dry and then work through to the darkest colour last. It makes spraying the yellow much easier.
Makes sense. Will try that next time.

A thought: Maybe even just mask off the yellow part of the Network Rail liveried ones and cover everything else blue!  :hmmm:
Hey, that's my cunning plan ;)

You and scruff are probably right, the extra bits would be cylindrical.

Mind you for my purposes it would be acceptable to have a contemporary loco resprayed to traditional livery (as seems to happen on the real life prototype, much to my delight, so I won't worry about that too much.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2015, 01:39:48 PM »
Mind you for my purposes it would be acceptable to have a contemporary loco resprayed to traditional livery (as seems to happen on the real life prototype, much to my delight, so I won't worry about that too much.

Check out 86101, 'Sir William A Stanier, FRS' and 87002 'Royal Sovereign'. Both run in BR blue on mainline today, hauling charters and whatnot. They may even do some "regular" work too, like moving empty coaching stock about. 86401 (the famous Network Southeast livery 86) certainly does that, moving the sleeper train stock to Stonebridge Park.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline BernardTPM

• N Gauge Society Number: 3490
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »
Hi Nemo,
I always start with the lightest colour first, allow to dry and then work through to the darkest colour last. It makes spraying the yellow much easier..

for railsquid:
The main differences between the subclasses seem to be:

Class 86/1- seems to be as per Dapol model, some had a box with a window on the roof

The principle difference with the Cl.86/1 was the Class 87 type bogies, built as test beds for the new design (also used on later Cl.90).

Offline scruff

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2017, 11:09:01 PM »
4 new class 86 loco's have been announced..

See: http://www.dapol.co.uk/Catalogue/index.html#18/z

Cheers
Mark

Offline 47475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2017, 09:38:47 AM »
Glad to see they decided to produce an InterCity Executive version rather than another Swallow. I will definitely be picking this one up. I am also considering the BR Blue version.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2017, 10:42:30 AM »
You've just copied and pasted part of the Wikipedia article...?

Executive will no doubt sell well, but surprised they've not also done another Swallow given the resale prices of 213. At least they're now doing a different running number.

Offline broadsword

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »
You've just copied and pasted part of the Wikipedia article...?

So the information could be a load of baloney?    :D

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2017, 12:14:31 PM »
I'm now tempted to go and edit it and say they were introduced in 1742 for use on the Trans-Atlantic tunnel!

Anywho... we digress. They're a great model, and the new ones definitely fill a gap. I've already got about 8 of them, so really ought to stop!

Offline broadsword

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2017, 12:24:05 PM »
Must admit the intercity version looks very nice, sorely tempted
even though I don't have suitable coaches.

8 of them !  That's about 700 in old money..... :o

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2017, 04:30:14 PM »
Wasn't having a go, just wasn't sure if you'd meant to copy verbatim from Wikipedia, or if you'd meant to add some additional context or something. Nowt wrong with Wikipedia as a resource, I frequently use it for railway stuff.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal