!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

What do you think of this model?

Superb
28 (63.6%)
Good
13 (29.5%)
OK
2 (4.5%)
Poor
0 (0%)
Terrible
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Dapol - Class 86  (Read 23408 times)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - Class 86
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 01:24:03 PM »
Picked up a Freightliner Green Dummy the other day to go with my Powerhaul liveried one. I can report that they are DCC ready and have directional lighting. Personally i'm not too fussed about the lights as i won't be using them but it's a nice touch none the less.

Ollie

The dummy locos with pickups are really useful for other stuff - like sound fitting ! Or given its a freightliner 86 how about a smoke generator
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Peak 45077

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22868
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2012, 07:53:18 AM »
you could try ringing on 01773 718648.

are you using www.shawplan.com ? thats got details of the 2012 exhibitions they are attending. I know they changed their website address a while back.

class 86 names are here http://shawplan.com/class86.htm says it was last updated july 2012.

HTH

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply, will give them a call.
Regards
Daryl

Offline Peak 45077

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22868
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 01:59:11 PM »
Anyone bought the Network Rail Class 86s yet? Any chance of a review before my wallet gets hit again?
Regards
Daryl

Offline mickster04

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26540
  • The sing of the rails, music to my ears
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Links to mikes online presense
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 05:03:18 AM »
sorry to resurrect a thread and all, but can I just confirm with others that the part of the arm below the 'elbow' of the pantograph doesn't come up? it's just the forearm so to speak?

Got myself a RES liveried model today and I'm not sure if i'm missing something or the pantograph head is supposed to be angled like that...

thanks.

[EDIT] just found this thread http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=10526.msg108573#msg108573 will follow up there [/EDIT]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:07:16 AM by mickster04 »

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »
sorry to resurrect a thread and all, but can I just confirm with others that the part of the arm below the 'elbow' of the pantograph doesn't come up? it's just the forearm so to speak?

Got myself a RES liveried model today and I'm not sure if i'm missing something or the pantograph head is supposed to be angled like that...

thanks.

[EDIT] just found this thread http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=10526.msg108573#msg108573 will follow up there [/EDIT]

In theory, the whole panto should raise, but, on the original first batch of Dapol 'Cans' The Pantographs were in my opinion a make do and wrong. You can buy replacements if you wish in a pack of 2 from Hattons etc. 1 Stone Faiveley and 1 high speed Bracknell Willis type. For 86245 you would need to fit the high speed pan which is the Bracknell Willis single arm pantograph.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Anthony.
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Ainsley CMD - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=46246.msg584542#msg584542

Next exhibition for SSA - Macclesfield - Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th March 2020

Ainsley CMD will be at N Gauge SouthEast - Saturday 4th April 2020

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 12:09:07 PM »
You can get the bottom arm of the original Dapol pantographs to move by slightly loosening the securing screw inside the body. I replaced mine with the new type because they look so much better though.
Cheers
Mark

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:19:06 PM by scruff »

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »
For the record, I acquired the NSE-liveried version as it was on offer recently. Not a fan of that livery, but at that price it would be a crime to pass it over, assuming it's otherwise OK. Which it is - of the 10 or so British (BachFar and Dapol) locomotives I have, it's in the top group of mechanically excellent performers (the others being the Dapol 58 and the BachFar Deltic). It hauls a rake of Mk I coaches up my slightly nasty curved incline without protest or wheelslip, and comes back down the slightly less-nasty curved incline without accellerating too much. Lights are steady and it runs fine even over an electrically slighly dodgy section of track. Runs steady at slow speed. It does seem to emit some sort of wheel squeek occasionally but nothing too annoying.

Visually - well I'm not exactly a rivet counter, but it looks like a Class 86 should look (apart from the toothpaste livery).

Verdict: happy, would buy again (esp. if in BR blue or at worst InterCity).
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »
I've just sent my NSE 86 back to Dapol due to the PCB failing.  I must say, I am a huge fan of the 86 in that livery.  ;)  They should be sending me a replacement in the new year - I've only used it a handful of times, but it was very good of them to offer a swap.

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »
If anyone has unwanted original sprung pans from an early 86 I am on the lookout for them.  We might be able to do a swap or I would be happy to reimburse the cost of the new improved ones from Dapol i.e. 7 quid-ish for a pair or £3.50 each.  I have an ad on the NPorium - or just PM me.

Cheers  Jon  :)

“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
I've just sent my NSE 86 back to Dapol due to the PCB failing.  I must say, I am a huge fan of the 86 in that livery.  ;)  They should be sending me a replacement in the new year - I've only used it a handful of times, but it was very good of them to offer a swap.
Hmm, I'll have to give this one a few more laps then to be on the safe side.

Well, at least it's a "proper" livery with the Arrows of Indecision, anything post-privatisation looks too weird to me.

Offline Dylan Cole

• Google+
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2015, 09:35:17 AM »
Does anyone know where I might be able to a Class 86 in intercity livery? I have a rake of loco hauled Mk-3 coaches and a DVT, but no locomotive to haul them.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2015, 09:57:27 AM »
Ebay, or a second hand dealer. I found mine in Hatton's pre-owned section (as an apparent non-runner, which a little bit of poking at the DCC blanking socket fixed).

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2015, 10:04:39 AM »
Hi Dylan,

I think Ebay will be your best bet, I saw one go about a week ago for £74 + postage but they don't come up very often.
I am thinking of buying the Network rail twin pack and respraying them into Executive livery. Just got to buy a new airbrush... and everything else to go with it! Boy! How I wish I never sold all my stuff years ago!

Cheers
Mark

Offline Dylan Cole

• Google+
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2015, 10:10:52 AM »
Ebay, or a second hand dealer. I found mine in Hatton's pre-owned section (as an apparent non-runner, which a little bit of poking at the DCC blanking socket fixed).

Thank you for the advice, I am already trawling through eBay, I have already spent an hour, and still searching. I think my next best bet would be to purchase a class 86 and get a kit or kits to change the livery.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2015, 10:22:24 AM »

Thank you for the advice, I am already trawling through eBay, I have already spent an hour, and still searching. I think my next best bet would be to purchase a class 86 and get a kit or kits to change the livery.
With Ebay you have to be patient... Dapol do regular 50-quid bargains, there's usually an 86 in some freaky post-BR livery available.

Now I really want a BR blue one, which means I'm going to have to learn about painting at some point (I have the candidates already...)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal