!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Graham Farish Southern Region EMU Class 411 4 CEP 4 car EMU in BR green  (Read 3397 times)

Offline grahame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • British exPat in Houston, Texas
    • Awards
I recently purchased one of these sets from Hattons, not my favourite train but for this price I could not say no. I spent many hours on these as a lad in and around Eastbourne. Will post a review here when it arrives over here in "very flooded" Houston.

http://www.ehattons.com/38749/Graham_Farish_372_676_Class_411_4_CEP_4_car_EMU_in_BR_green_Southern_Region_with_yellow_warning_panels/StockDetail.aspx

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
79!  Wow, that is cheap. :o  I already have two sets of the blue and grey which are lovely smooth runners, at low speeds as well.

Online class37025

• Trade Count: (+34)
    • Awards
I received two of these for my birthday, one from SWMBO and one from my younger daughter.

as I said in

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=27824.msg304571#msg304571

hope that works  :worried:

the only fault I could find with them was that the blinds didn't change colour depending on direction of travel, but I guess that as one is two red blinds and the other a headcode I think that that would not be possible, unless you had a rotating piece with the blinds on.

both ran beautifully and the only other faults I could find were that ...

they weren't diesels .....

and they weren't in large logo blue  :smiley-laughing:

alan
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline grahame

• Awards
79!  Wow, that is cheap. :o  I already have two sets of the blue and grey which are lovely smooth runners, at low speeds as well.

Yes it is..and being an export to the USA they also take off the VAT so I actually paid 65.83....I cannot say "no" to that!! :claphappy:

Offline grahame

• Awards
I actually took delivery of this beautifully smooth running EMU set a few days ago. I had also purchased a while back some Green SR coaches which added on to this making a 9 coach train. here she is running.

https://youtu.be/Awa4hK5rbBA

I still can't believe how cheap it was and still is at Hattons:

http://www.ehattons.com/38749/Graham_Farish_372_676_Class_411_4_CEP_4_car_EMU_in_BR_green_Southern_Region_with_yellow_warning_panels/StockDetail.aspx

..when a similar set is a lot more:

http://www.ehattons.com/38748/Graham_Farish_372_675_Class_411_4_CEP_4_car_EMU_in_BR_green_/StockDetail.aspx
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 03:33:48 AM by grahame »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Sadly, as others have said, it may lead the manufacturers to believe that electric motive power doesn't sell very well (witness the class 86's that have also been available).
Maybe they just haven't got the liveries folks would prefer, though :hmmm:

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
I suppose they could offer Jaffa cake livery (not my cup of espresso but no accounting for taste ;)). To do NSE livery would require retooling the bodyside for the refurbished versions and Sectorisation era is apparently not a particularly good seller.

Maybe if they shrunk the 2-EPB and MLV as well there would be enough stock to start to represent a bit of a scene. I don't think that there is a problem with the liveries offered, I just don't think a 4-CEP on its own is enough to represent the kentish mainline.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Online Roy L S

• Awards
Sadly for those who model 3rd rail electrics I just cannot see any manufacturer going near another EMU based on the way the 4CEP (and indeed Desiro) has performed sales wise. It is not about there being no other supporting models, it is more about a far too "niche" product range for a market we are told 20-30% the size of 00.

In my view the debate will go on and on until those (or representatives of them) who say there is a market for 3rd rail electrics do what Ben and Mike did with the Pendolino and put their own time and effort into formulating a "Kickstarter" or other crowd-funding proposal to prove it. This would establish if such support and market genuinely is out there (or not) for those willing to share the risk rather than wait for a manufacturer to do so (unlikely) and would also see how many "rule 1" buyers might jump on board too...

I would be really happy to be proved wrong but on the basis nobody has done so to date I just can't see it happening...

Roy

Offline tim-pelican

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22330
    • Awards
I've got mixed feelings about my 4-CEP.  It's a fantastic-looking model, and it was very easy for my fat fingers to add sound to.  It runs lovely on the flat, but it's not happy at all with my inclines.  I know it's partly my fault for building a "train set", but it's noticeably worse than any of my other models.  I've had to swap the bodies around so the motor is pushing rather than pulling, and then as long as I only run it in the direction that goes up the R2 curves and down the R1s, and take a bit of a run up, it can make it to the top most of the time.

I can't imagine putting more coaches behind it!

Offline mickster04

• N Gauge Society Number: 26540
  • The sing of the rails, music to my ears
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Links to mikes online presense
    • Awards
I don't model southern, but if it became that cheap in BG I just couldn't refuse!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £40.00
Site Currency: GBP
33% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal