!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My first model railway build.  (Read 97218 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: My first model railway build.
« Reply #690 on: September 11, 2016, 10:07:20 PM »
Yes Kato track is very good from what I have seen but would require more work to make it look presentable. I have some code 80 insulfrogs points  in my fiddle yard and they are causing problems, I might replace some of them before long.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #691 on: September 11, 2016, 11:29:38 PM »
Yes Kato track is very good from what I have seen but would require more work to make it look presentable. I have some code 80 insulfrogs points  in my fiddle yard and they are causing problems, I might replace some of them before long.
what problems are you having?

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #692 on: September 12, 2016, 10:52:40 AM »
Hi Marcus, a couple of my loco'so short and trip my system when they go over the insulfrog  points. It is a pain but not the end of the world, one of the loco's a 4F does it and I have checked the back to back which is within the limits.
Lil Chris

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #693 on: September 12, 2016, 07:30:51 PM »
Hi Marcus, a couple of my loco'so short and trip my system when they go over the insulfrog  points. It is a pain but not the end of the world, one of the loco's a 4F does it and I have checked the back to back which is within the limits.
I had exactly the same problem with my 4f and Dapol class 66. The reason I found it shorts out is that certain loco's wheels touch both the neg and pos sides of rail on the frog where the rails are very close. All I did was apply about 2mm of enamel paint on the closest point on either the + or - rail, it doesn't matter which, problem solved, no more shorting out. Just remember to replace paint if you rub it off whilst cleaning though. Give it a go and let me know how you get on :thumbsup:

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #694 on: September 12, 2016, 08:07:11 PM »
Thanks Marcus, would you believe I have already done the same thing on a curved live frog point where my track aproaches the station round a curve. I will probably try it in the insulfrog point when I get round to it. I need a box with a label on it "when I get round to it"...he...he
Lil Chris

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #695 on: September 12, 2016, 08:25:51 PM »
Thanks Marcus, would you believe I have already done the same thing on a curved live frog point where my track aproaches the station round a curve. I will probably try it in the insulfrog point when I get round to it. I need a box with a label on it "when I get round to it"...he...he

Many years ago, a friend at work was given a "Roundtuit" mug!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:34:14 PM by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #696 on: September 12, 2016, 09:12:07 PM »
@lil chris - here you go -

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #697 on: September 13, 2016, 07:10:07 AM »
Fantastic work from the man supposedly having a crisis of confidence having seen Kato track!

The standard you have achieved would have probably been possible with Kato, but would have taken more work to achieve scenically and I am sure others will agree.

Please keep pictures and videos coming

Skyline2uk
Thx. My thoughts on Not using Kato track, looking back were probably based on ease of use. Had I used Kato, I would not have been able to achieve the design I have now. Without Peco flexitrack it wouldn't have been possible. I like Kato but for the wrong reasons so my posting was a bit of a knee jerk reaction at seeing something different other than Peco, offering an easier solution, especially when it comes to points. So basically I have no regrets. Just
 didn't think about it properly before making comment.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:12:19 AM by Marcus Amison »

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #698 on: September 13, 2016, 08:22:11 AM »
 :hellosign: Morning all. I have been busy with the scenery which I'm happy with. What I would like to have a go with is weathering a small section of ballested track. Looking at YouTube videos, this is something that should have been carried out before ballesting. Can anyone suggest a way of weathering ballested track? I was thinking about just simply spraying the track with rusty brown paint and cleaning the top rail, but then how do I avoid spaying the actual ballest. This is still a huge learning curve for me so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thx guys. :hmmm:

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #699 on: September 13, 2016, 08:31:26 AM »
I would also be interested in responses, however I am sure I have seen layouts / members on here who have done just as you suggest.

After all, in real life the grime from the track in real life does seem to spread on to the ballast:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=weathered+track+uk&client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&prmd=simvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih36OJ6YvPAhXD3iwKHcq3BcUQ_AUICSgC&biw=320&bih=460#channel=iphone_bm&tbm=isch&q=british+rail+track&imgrc=6eAmDQTTlHpeRM%3A

Skyline2uk

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #700 on: September 13, 2016, 08:48:09 AM »
I would also be interested in responses, however I am sure I have seen layouts / members on here who have done just as you suggest.

After all, in real life the grime from the track in real life does seem to spread on to the ballast:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=weathered+track+uk&client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&prmd=simvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih36OJ6YvPAhXD3iwKHcq3BcUQ_AUICSgC&biw=320&bih=460#channel=iphone_bm&tbm=isch&q=british+rail+track&imgrc=6eAmDQTTlHpeRM%3A

Skyline2uk
Hi. Looking at your rather impressive layout your ballest looks also a little too clean. If I have ago, and it looks ok, give it a try. I'll be the Guinea pig...Lol.

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #701 on: September 13, 2016, 08:56:07 AM »
Lol, perhaps a couple of lengths of track on a small test section before committing to your layout?

Re my layout; you are of course correct, but I tend to pretend the track is newly laid as the Avonmouth loop is upgraded for passenger traffic (plus it lets me run my Dogfish / Seacow and JJA rakes  ;)). That said, I could look at how to carefully tone down the "fresh" look, some of my traction is no doubt leaking oil and giving of clouds of break dust!

Shall watch your experiments with interest  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #702 on: September 13, 2016, 09:14:08 AM »
Lol, perhaps a couple of lengths of track on a small test section before committing to your layout?

Re my layout; you are of course correct, but I tend to pretend the track is newly laid as the Avonmouth loop is upgraded for passenger traffic (plus it lets me run my Dogfish / Seacow and JJA rakes  ;)). That said, I could look at how to carefully tone down the "fresh" look, some of my traction is no doubt leaking oil and giving of clouds of break dust!

Shall watch your experiments with interest  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk
once I'm ready to dive in,  I'll experiment on the track under the removable sections so if it looks "pants" you won't see it. :D

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations