!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - Lockdown projects  (Read 101264 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+57)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - Lockdown projects
« Reply #1050 on: September 16, 2020, 09:36:33 PM »
Busy times!

Firstly, thanks to all those who've shown interest in this thread over its time - it's just hit 100,000 views, quite something.  :o

Projects wise, after the lining madness of the LMS, we move to the GW with Truro. Lots has been done, still more to complete, but tender is getting close.

Other projects include the arrival of @RBTKraisee 's Gresley RTS set, which is already under test and has a lot of feedback to be written.

2P is still waiting to rejoin the progress after Truro and 2 other projects of quite interesting uniqueness have joined the queue.

Fun times!

Lockdown tally of projects complete: 14 (Black 5, 6202 LMS, Fowler 4P, Std 4MT, Rebuilt Patriot, Std 5MT 73099, Bulleid 34089, NGS Gresley, J27, Un-rebuilt Patriot, EM2, UM CoTruro1 upgrade, J52 resto, HR X Class black, HR X class crimson, )
New lockdown projects currently started: 6 ( UM 2P fast detail, A2/2 resto, 87006, 87015, 60502 new tender, UM CoTruro2 upgrade)
Existing projects progressing under lockdown: 3 (46202, Ivatt 4, Garratt)

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline east anglian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15731
    • Awards
« Reply #1051 on: September 16, 2020, 11:46:08 PM »
Truly   amazing   wish   I   was   halve  as   good

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #1052 on: September 17, 2020, 10:41:20 AM »
Further on the Truro lining - this is about 3 evenings worth of work over the last week - most of the decals on one side done, which rather leaves one with eyes looking like this: :confused1: .

Front bogie needs doing, as a few of the fine orange lines on the loco. Chimney and bonnet are loosely dropped on, and will be made to sit better when finally fitted.

After all these models with lining, I'll be glad to get back to the 2P - flat black!

Lockdown tally of projects complete: 14 (Black 5, 6202 LMS, Fowler 4P, Std 4MT, Rebuilt Patriot, Std 5MT 73099, Bulleid 34089, NGS Gresley, J27, Un-rebuilt Patriot, EM2, UM CoTruro1 upgrade, J52 resto, HR X Class black, HR X class crimson, )
New lockdown projects currently started: 6 ( UM 2P fast detail, A2/2 resto, 87006, 87015, 60502 new tender, UM CoTruro2 upgrade)

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online osborns

• N Gauge Society Number: 4832
  • 2mm Association Number: 2545
    • Osborns Models Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #1053 on: September 17, 2020, 10:47:34 AM »
looks fantastic. Envious or what

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1054 on: September 17, 2020, 10:51:19 AM »
I think I have said this before, but you are a master N gauge modeller, sir.  :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline KiwiAlan

• N Gauge Society Number: 28657
    • Awards
« Reply #1055 on: September 17, 2020, 10:52:42 AM »
I think this is one of the best threads on the forum. I always love seeing what beauty is being created and the steps that it takes to make such wonderful models. I can only hope that there are more people who see this thread.

Fantastic work

Offline honk843

• N Gauge Society Number: 1800
    • Awards
« Reply #1056 on: September 17, 2020, 01:27:34 PM »
I totally endorse these comments and I pick up the photos on Flickr too so I don't miss any.

The only problem is it does make us mere mortals feel so inadequate.

Offline Bluebottle

• If its a smooth runner its got a home on my layout
    • Awards
« Reply #1057 on: September 17, 2020, 10:12:33 PM »
 WOW!!!!!, Jaw Dropping, Awe inspiring and utterly beautiful!!!!

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #1058 on: September 20, 2020, 01:19:31 PM »
AWESOME!!!

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #1059 on: September 22, 2020, 12:18:03 AM »
Not been in the mood to do much more on Truro - that lining needs a breather between sessions.

Instead I've gone to an old favourite - a Black 5. This was one of the first types of models I detailed up many years ago. Is interesting to do again something you did years ago. I've started with the usual upgrades on a scrap body (China made, so better top firebox, but a lot of tooling lines around it) - Duchess chassis, N Brass locos scale bogie, and new buffers, and front end detail. With this I've gone further though - for the first time I've gone to the next level by taking off the moulded handrails and replacing with separates. This was never an option on previous models as those retained their original paintwork (albeit most renumbered).

However, there's good reason to go a little further on this one....

...the reason that this is worth going on a little is the tender - I recently managed to obtain an excellently built representation of a coal-weighing LMS tender. This will be dated into late crest (needs some additional handrails on top) and paired with this loco as 44677 to make something rather different.

No, it's not got a GWR chimney top - Farish used common components a lot! It'll be black and the join filled.

New lockdown projects currently started: 7 (Coal weighing tender Black 5, UM 2P fast detail, A2/2 resto, 87006, 87015, 60502 new tender, UM CoTruro2 upgrade)

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal