New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.


Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3  (Read 44106 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Newportnobby

  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
  • Posts: 29987
  • Country: england
  • Gender: Male
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3
« Reply #375 on: December 04, 2018, 11:19:16 AM »
Smashing. Just smashing, Alan

Online DCCDave

  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 854
  • Country: gb
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3
« Reply #376 on: December 04, 2018, 12:11:45 PM »
Al,

Wow! Just wow.

That V1 looks ace, and the D49 is pretty awesome too.

Cheers
Dave

Offline Dr Al

  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 4333
  • Country: gb
  • Gender: Male
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3
« Reply #377 on: December 07, 2018, 11:59:24 PM »
Well, some steps forward, and some back. After the lining had been completed on the D49, only matt varnish remained - and disaster! Some of the lining lifted on spraying with Testors dullcote  :doh: :doh: :doh:

Clearly the base paint wasn't quite gloss enough for all the decals to properly adhere.

Fortunately it was the top boiler bands and the bases of the splashers only, so a few days of work had to be undertaken to rectify and save. The lifting bands were carefully scraped off, with care only to lift them and not any surrounding (now matt and finished) paint. Also the splasher bases. Then I painted the black areas of the splashers and the boiler bands gloss black. This gave a fresh surface to take replacement decals. These were applied and then one dry, each area that was now still gloss was overcoated in Humbrol matt cote, with a fine brush to seal. This brought it all back into line, and hopefully you can't see the joins!





This now needs running shakedown, probably some added loco weight, and the cylinder draincocks added. It's short a whistle too!

For @Atso - this overall has gone very well - I'd suggest a few (very minor) changes if you open this up to Shapeways
- add blocks behind the cab steps where Dapol style screw terminals for loco-tender wires could be added
- add blocks to the front splashers that the nameplates can side against. This would also probably strengthen the splashers.
- consider adding front steps - either as part of the print (folk could hack them off if clashing) or as a separate part that folks could fit.

Whilst doing the lining repairs, I completed lining another older 4MT that I want to get cleared - it's been knocking about for a while, and I need to clear the backlog and regain some space! This will be for sale reasonably cheaply when done if anyone is interested.



Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Online thebrighton

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
  • Posts: 615
  • Country: england
  • Gender: Male
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3
« Reply #378 on: December 09, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »
I've had issues in the past with transfers lifting when sprayed with varnish. Now I always brush a quick coat of Klear over them before spraying. Never had an issue since :)

Offline Dr Al

  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 4333
  • Country: gb
  • Gender: Male
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3
« Reply #379 on: December 09, 2018, 08:08:37 PM »
I've had issues in the past with transfers lifting when sprayed with varnish. Now I always brush a quick coat of Klear over them before spraying. Never had an issue since :)

I suspect that the areas where there were problems were not as gloss in the first place - I have in the past airbrushed gloss afterwards to seal before then dullcoting, but I've quite often got away with skipping this step - not this time though!

We live and learn - fortunately it was all fixable without having to fully repaint (the worst possible outcome!). I guess I'll consider going back to gloss coating - though having always airbrushed finishes, I'm reluctant to brush paint gloss.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

 

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £200.00
Above Goal: £145.00
Site Currency: GBP
364% 
December Donations


Advertise Here
anything