!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - Lockdown projects  (Read 78299 times)

BramptonBranch, Eggmarine and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - 4MT
« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2018, 10:20:33 AM »
For a brief time in the early 60s 75013 was allocated to shed 1E Bletchley and so, of course, would have made it over to Oxfordshire via the 'Varsity Line', John ;)
http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=746001&type=S&page=alloc

It was probably a few years, as the reference photos shows it at Oxford in 4/65.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/camperdown/8214305741/in/photolist-dvSsV4

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: March 30, 2018, 10:51:04 AM »
Proof positive. Thanks, Alan :)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: March 30, 2018, 02:02:04 PM »
For a brief time in the early 60s 75013 was allocated to shed 1E Bletchley and so, of course, would have made it over to Oxfordshire via the 'Varsity Line', John ;)
http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=746001&type=S&page=alloc

It was probably a few years, as the reference photos shows it at Oxford in 4/65.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/camperdown/8214305741/in/photolist-dvSsV4

Cheers,
Alan

That's a very interesting database - I'll enjoy some time looking through it.  Thank you.

I tend to associate the 4MT 4-6-0s in this condition with the North-West, but 75013 wasn't one of these ones according to the listings.  Still, it'll look fabulous, wherever it goes!

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #318 on: March 30, 2018, 04:27:51 PM »
The final major work has been completed on the 4MT.

Only needs a chassis clean and run, and coaling now, and a portrait with its two classmates before heading for its new home.

I also weathered an 08 and a renumbered new class 40 at the same time, as I try to do multiple models at the same time when the paint is out, otherwise wastage gets large!

I'm inclined to sell these two, as I'll need funds to afford to populate my upcoming NGS carflats - Oxford cars are reasonably cheap, but not when you're likely to need 50+ of them. Anyone interested in these, give me a shout.

Cheers,
Alan

Truly stunning work

Online Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #319 on: March 30, 2018, 05:35:53 PM »
Lovely models Alan, great work!

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #320 on: March 30, 2018, 05:39:38 PM »
Looks really good weathered.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #321 on: March 30, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »
Superb stuff Al, NPN should be well pleased.   :thumbsup:

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #322 on: March 30, 2018, 09:37:29 PM »
The 4MT commission is now complete - reassembled, cleaned, tested, coaled.

A final few pictures with her classmates, before she leaves for a depot change, Oxford way.

It's always potentially cringeworthy to compare models you made some time ago, but I think the oldest, 75021, still stands well against the more recently made ones.

Now she's gathering steam, ready for a journey south.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #323 on: March 30, 2018, 09:44:56 PM »
A stunning trio :heart2:

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #324 on: April 01, 2018, 12:02:48 PM »
I’ve deliberately refrained from ‘oohing and aahing’ over each stage of the development of the locomotive as, after all, this is Alan’s personal thread but now feel it’s the time to break silence and express my gratitude to Alan for what he has created.

Imagine the pride/thrill of owning a hand-made, painted and weathered model locomotive nobody else in the universe has, and which no one else (possibly even the esteemed Alan himself) could ever exactly replicate. I am just a very, very lucky man.

Even if a mass produced ready to run version of this class were to be released it would not and could not ever match the quality of Alan’s work.

There are a handful of wonderfully skilled people on this forum who are capable of bringing into life locos and rolling stock not catered for by the main manufacturers. Not only are we lucky to have them on our forum but must surely tip our hats to them for their expertise.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #325 on: April 01, 2018, 12:09:56 PM »
Awesome. Triple multiple  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #326 on: April 01, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
There are a handful of wonderfully skilled people on this forum who are capable of bringing into life locos and rolling stock not catered for by the main manufacturers. Not only are we lucky to have them on our forum but must surely tip our hats to them for their expertise.

As well as congratulating Alan, I'll second that and thank them also for taking the time to share their skills, achievements and the odd disappointment. I learn something every day from the contributors to this site, which is what makes it worthwhile to subscribe.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #327 on: April 01, 2018, 05:43:21 PM »

As well as congratulating Alan, I'll second that and thank them also for taking the time to share their skills, achievements and the odd disappointment. I learn something every day from the contributors to this site, which is what makes it worthwhile to subscribe.

Mike

Agree with all of that. I could never, ever, match that skill and workmanship. Just amazing.

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #328 on: April 01, 2018, 07:41:05 PM »
I’ve deliberately refrained from ‘oohing and aahing’ over each stage of the development of the locomotive as, after all, this is Alan’s personal thread but now feel it’s the time to break silence and express my gratitude to Alan for what he has created.

Imagine the pride/thrill of owning a hand-made, painted and weathered model locomotive nobody else in the universe has, and which no one else (possibly even the esteemed Alan himself) could ever exactly replicate. I am just a very, very lucky man.

Thank you indeed - I hope that you will be happy with it.

Even if a mass produced ready to run version of this class were to be released it would not and could not ever match the quality of Alan’s work.

It's absolutely guaranteed that now this one has been done for you that Bachmann will announce an RTR one.

It's not just that - a lot can be done with RTR - even just weathering and simple renumbering (like the 40 and 08 done at the same time - 08 sold by the way, 40 still available to anyone who's interested), can take a lot away from a standard model, remove the plastic feeling and make it something more unique and all together more life-like.

As I've gone on in modelling, I really feel that there's less and less point in just dropping something out of a box and running it - whilst I understand that it can be difficult, even just fitting the detail bits to a loco will help raise it above everyone elses. Amazing how many magazine pictures of featured layouts have locos that haven't had coupling hooks and vac pipes fitted. Beyond that, trying is the only way to start getting into this type of modelling - grab a scrappy loco from the secondhand stand or ebay and have a go. If it doesn't go right, you've only gained in experience at the expense of very little.

75021 is a case in point - that was one of my first (might actually have been the first) detailed loco I ever did. It was an old pre-built Langley 4MT bought off ebay for a song and stripped, rebuilt, detailed and put on a replacement modern chassis. These models make an attractive starter as they are a useful loco, and a reasonable quality casting, but are still easy to build, even with no superdetailing. There's often old examples about secondhand (both 75021 and 75017 were sourced as such) that are perfect fodder.

So have a go - what's the worst that can happen?

Cheers,
Alan

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #329 on: April 01, 2018, 07:46:37 PM »
Thanks again, Alan.
And the next project is likely to be......................??

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal