!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - Fowler 2-6-4T  (Read 59285 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - Something Stanier
« Reply #210 on: May 06, 2017, 07:55:44 AM »
Awesome work Alan! I'm glad the bits I found were useful to you.

I'm really impressed with that Stanier mogul as well, that's really captured the look and character of the prototype.

I can't wait to see them finished but I'm really looking forward to seeing how you go about applying the mixed traffic lining transfers (I've got three locos to do in that livery!).

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: May 06, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
Truly brilliant, I think my version may go off to the scrap yard.

Does it have to be painted in BR black, lined LMS red is good,

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: May 06, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
I can't wait to see them finished but I'm really looking forward to seeing how you go about applying the mixed traffic lining transfers (I've got three locos to do in that livery!).

The current new formulation of Fox's BR Lining decals are very good - make the lining very easy (no separate black central band to apply now, and they are in better register).

I did this basic refurbishment (no superdetailing/handrails etc) of a Langley E5 recently, and the decalling is all Fox, done in about an hour.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2017, 12:25:27 PM »
Thanks Alan, that E5 looks great! I was busy admiring the surviving E4 at Bluebell last monday!

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: May 07, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »
After stripping the L3 (again!) the paint and primer went on correctly this time. Getting very close now to completion, just need to paint the driving wheel rims, gloss varnish and decal out.

I'm pretty pleased with this, after starting out with a £25 secondhand model on an original Poole chassis.

And a quick project - PD Marsh sentinel, total build time 1 hour, plus painting at same time as L3. This one will be finished for sale in due course.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »
 :goggleeyes: Marvellous.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »
Uber cool.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »
Another step progression.

Sentinel getting very close. I also swapped the chimneys around - the instruction sheet indicated the tall one should be on the roof, which is not right! Lesson reinforced - always check the prototype!

L3 is painted and decalled, just needing to dry completely and then get dullcoted

Stanier Mogul is complete, and first coat of primer applied. This has shown up *a lot* of blemishes, and this is perhaps not surprising given how rough the original Black 5 body was. This'll need a couple of rounds of tidying up before paint can really progress.

And lastly an A3 for an identity change. Oddly, Dapol's "Gladiateur" has a double chimney, but a round dome - I don't know that this is correct, and certainly wasn't for the intended identity - 60111 Enterprise. So a new dome had to be fitted, and given that the A3 banjo dome sat further back than the round dome, the boiler needed repaired and boiler band and lining reinstated where this dome once was. Precision Brunswick green doesn't match Dapol's version (it does Bachfars...) so the dome looks a bit different. However, this is to be weathered, so it will all be tied together in time.

All the usual details for A3s have been fitted - bufferbeam cutout removed, new coupling hook, cylinder drains, wheel painting. Still needs a speedo drive fitted from an A4.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2017, 09:17:31 AM »
The Mogul looks brilliant, totally brilliant

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2017, 11:48:06 AM »

Far from it for me to agree with anything Mr Price says but in this case he is 100% spot on with his comment!  Great work Alan! 8)

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: May 11, 2017, 07:51:01 PM »
Another step progression.

Sentinel getting very close. I also swapped the chimneys around - the instruction sheet indicated the tall one should be on the roof, which is not right! Lesson reinforced - always check the prototype!

L3 is painted and decalled, just needing to dry completely and then get dullcoted

Stanier Mogul is complete, and first coat of primer applied. This has shown up *a lot* of blemishes, and this is perhaps not surprising given how rough the original Black 5 body was. This'll need a couple of rounds of tidying up before paint can really progress.

And lastly an A3 for an identity change. Oddly, Dapol's "Gladiateur" has a double chimney, but a round dome - I don't know that this is correct, and certainly wasn't for the intended identity - 60111 Enterprise. So a new dome had to be fitted, and given that the A3 banjo dome sat further back than the round dome, the boiler needed repaired and boiler band and lining reinstated where this dome once was. Precision Brunswick green doesn't match Dapol's version (it does Bachfars...) so the dome looks a bit different. However, this is to be weathered, so it will all be tied together in time.

All the usual details for A3s have been fitted - bufferbeam cutout removed, new coupling hook, cylinder drains, wheel painting. Still needs a speedo drive fitted from an A4.

Cheers,
Alan

I love that L3.

As for 60070 Gladiateur, RCTS Part 2A shows it with double chimney and round dome in 1959 (Fig 76).

Regards,

Roy

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2017, 09:28:50 PM »

Far from it for me to agree with anything Mr Price says but in this case he is 100% spot on with his comment!  Great work Alan! 8)

Gee thanks Steve

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #222 on: May 12, 2017, 12:37:56 AM »
As for 60070 Gladiateur, RCTS Part 2A shows it with double chimney and round dome in 1959 (Fig 76).

Interesting - thanks. I guess that must have been pretty rare as A3s go.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #223 on: May 12, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »
Enterprise looks lovely Alan. That's one that is on my to do list, although she'd look very different in the thirties, apple green, single chimney and right hand drive!  :worried:

Just out of question, who's name plates did you use? I've still got to source some for Humorist, Modelmaster's look like a good choice.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: May 12, 2017, 02:53:25 PM »
Just out of question, who's name plates did you use? I've still got to source some for Humorist, Modelmaster's look like a good choice.

No idea - they were bought secondhand (unused) from someone on list.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations