!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog, and adding some Zs  (Read 75591 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog, and adding some Zs
« Reply #735 on: January 02, 2020, 11:13:20 PM »
Back to the backlog, and something that's been lying on my bench gathering dust for several years, was this. I've now stripped it (It was glue built and thickly painted), and surprised to find what it is:

A PECO 0-4-0 tank - but what is surprising is the quality of the castings - and the reason - it clearly emanates from South Eastern Finecast, well known now for producing decent OO loco kits. It's also not the prototype I thought it was.....

As such this suddenly seems all the more worth saving! I originally was simply going to clean it up to a respectable level.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #736 on: January 02, 2020, 11:51:43 PM »
In other news, the Caly tank has finally been completed in terms of build and has now had primer coats applied. This is the second, but one further clean up/filler is needed before the top coat goes on. Also, in the background a Chivers CCT that's been knocking about has had its chassis painted.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #737 on: January 06, 2020, 01:51:05 AM »
On the Peco 0-4-0 I've progressed the rebuild, all solder construction, and separate handrails - boiler handrail fitted and rear handrail. Still to add will be lamp irons and vertical tank handrails.

The chassis runs well, but gets beached on code 55 slips - meaning the wheels will need reprofiled in due course. I've done this before on a Fleischmann 0-4-0, so hopefully can be done on this.

Cheers,
Alan

Online thebrighton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #738 on: January 06, 2020, 10:08:55 AM »
I've one of these kicking about and sitting on the Fleischmann chassis but never finished it as put off by the extension to the cab rear to accommodate the motor. One day I'll sort a chassis that means I can remove the 'lump'.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #739 on: January 06, 2020, 11:09:07 AM »
I've one of these kicking about and sitting on the Fleischmann chassis but never finished it as put off by the extension to the cab rear to accommodate the motor. One day I'll sort a chassis that means I can remove the 'lump'.

A modern small can motor may well be the answer with this chassis (Arnold), but I'm willing to accept it given how few options there are on 0-4-0 chassis, as I'm sure you're aware, and it fits nice under this body, given the body's designed for it.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #740 on: January 06, 2020, 03:59:14 PM »
Final details fitted on this one - a quick build due to its size. Now with front lamp irons and front vertical grab rails on the tank fronts.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #741 on: January 07, 2020, 02:02:21 PM »
Both Caly 0-4-4 and Peco 0-4-0 are now in black. This does really pick out the detail on the 0-4-0.

I also spent quite a bit of time turning down the wheels of this chassis on a minidrill, and replaced two of its gears.

Caly:

Both now need to head to final varnish and decalling, with some fine lining needed on the Caly in particular.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #742 on: January 07, 2020, 11:11:54 PM »
After what seems like a mammoth task, I've finally all but completed the Caly 419 0-4-4T. This has been one heck of an exercise, emphasised by the starting point which I reproduce here. It reminds me how much needed added when I look at the bits I didn't add (there are a few)!

that started as this: (!!)

Looking back, I think almost everyone would simply have junked that body (it never even came with a chassis, the M7 being my own addition). However, hopefully the intention of the original unknown builder has been captured with my finishing of it. It's not perfect - there are a few bits and pieces that aren't on it (probably most obvious being the rear cab spectacle window bars), and it's probably a little tall, but given the starting point, the fact it's now a loco is enough for me!

Next to the test track to see if it needs any more boiler weight, before coaling up.

Pleased to add this to the collection and tick off another in the backlog! This one has been around for more that 3 or 4 years, and 3 months of intense building after and initial year of thinking along the lines of "...how the :censored: am I going to complete this....."

Cheers,
Alan

Online DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
« Reply #743 on: January 08, 2020, 07:53:47 AM »
Pleased to add this to the collection and tick off another in the backlog! This one has been around for more that 3 or 4 years, and 3 months of intense building after and initial year of thinking along the lines of "...how the :censored: am I going to complete this....."

Looks fantastic Alan, I judge well worth the effort. Looks like the time spend pondering how was well worth it

Cheers
Dave

Online w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #744 on: January 08, 2020, 08:51:36 AM »
Looks like a RTR, hells teeth man, how are the rest of us  supposed to keep up ? might as well take Morris dancing,(Wheres me hankie gone).

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #745 on: January 08, 2020, 09:35:43 AM »
Another stunner emerges from 'The Works' :drool:

Offline BramptonBranch

• Awards
« Reply #746 on: January 08, 2020, 05:01:56 PM »
I look at models like these and think fantastic I want them.(ALL) Then Dr Al says its missing a handrail, or suchlike. I don't care I'm just jealous to death. N gauge modelling of this calibre? is just not fair!

Grrrrr  :censored: :censored:

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #747 on: January 08, 2020, 05:05:29 PM »
N gauge modelling of this calibre? is just not fair!

I know what you mean - what with Alan on locos and RogerDB on buildings, the rest of us don't stand a chance of keeping up.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #748 on: January 08, 2020, 08:25:38 PM »
After what seems like a mammoth task, I've finally all but completed the Caly 419 0-4-4T. This has been one heck of an exercise, emphasised by the starting point which I reproduce here. It reminds me how much needed added when I look at the bits I didn't add (there are a few)!

Next to the test track to see if it needs any more boiler weight, before coaling up.

Cheers,
Alan

That Caley Tank is a little beauty Alan, absolutely incredible work!

Roy

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog
« Reply #749 on: January 08, 2020, 10:50:37 PM »
Just like buses, projects tend to bumble on and then all appear at the same time.

The next is the Peco 0-4-0. I'm surprised nobody ( @exmouthcraig 's been asleep here!!) has picked up what this is, or then again maybe it's just blindingly obvious - but it wasn't to me.

It's not actually an industrial, but a very nice casting to make a variant of the Adams LSWR, later Southern Railway B4 tank loco.

Unlike the Caly, this only needed relatively lightly breathed on (handrails, lamp irons, and turning down the Arnold chassis wheel flanges on a minidrill) to get something quite lovely indeed. If you stumble on one of these kits, unbuilt, or built (to whatever standard), it really is worth grabbing - hopefully on this one you can see the good quality of the casting - from a 40 year old kit! Everything is original apart from the minor tweaks above.

Just for the added sillyness, and again because @exmouthcraig will be thinking "too small to DCC".....I'm not so sure - there's actually even enough space for a decoder!

More seriously, this now wants a vacuum pipe to mirror 30089 accurately, and coupling hooks, and coal to complete. It seems like the latter was often piled up all around the safety valves in front of the cab....will need to decide if I want to do that. I could also re-shape the cylinder tops to more closely match the B4.

Oh, and running? Surprisingly good - it will even traverse that killer - the electrofrog double slip.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal