!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog, and adding some Zs  (Read 75595 times)

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - Quickie!
« Reply #630 on: September 07, 2019, 01:12:11 PM »

I think this shows that with a little effort and a basic kit, you can make a very very useful model, and something unique to you.

I think this is great, and an encouragement to 'have a go' at DIY making and finishing.

It's probably already impossible for most humans to build and finish a model to match the latest RTR examples, but for me the satisfaction of making/adapting/owning something unique far outweighs that of paying for details I cannot see.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline LostinThreeBridges

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #631 on: September 20, 2019, 07:04:58 PM »
Very inspirational - i will have a go at  something similar - i find i get more pleasure out of building something, as opposed to buying an off the shelf model.

Offline honk843

• N Gauge Society Number: 1800
    • Awards
« Reply #632 on: September 20, 2019, 07:15:50 PM »
I would think that these days most people who still do N gauge do some sort of scratch building, modifying or kit building. Waiting for the next RtR  item is like watching the grass grow.
It is just unfortunate we are not all blessed with the skills of Dr Al and some others on here. But the satisfaction of producing something presentable at normal viewing distance even is immense.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #633 on: September 21, 2019, 12:03:41 AM »
For anyone interested, the 4MT is now for sale has sold in the N'porium section.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:04:29 PM by Dr Al, Reason: update »
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #634 on: September 24, 2019, 06:34:21 PM »
Getting back to clearing up some unfinished (and in some cases unstarted projects), I've pushed on with the build of the second D49 from Atso's 3D print. I want to get some more of these outstanding models done to clear space for thoughts of a few new interesting projects.

This has made much faster progress than the first, and it's something nice about doing a build for the second time - the problems should be worked out.

So, this is already got to this stage - as a reminder for folks who didn't read the first build, it's a Dapol Schools loco chassis, with N-Brass front bogie (modified) being driven from a Dapol B1 tender drive with a Farish J39 tender top (modified internally to fit).

It can be seen here that there was a Large Chicken :) up with the chimney - on drilling it out the drill slipped and shattered the edge of it. This is a problem with 3D prints - they are fragile (though if it was plastic there would also have been damage - though I think less bad). Various grumbling later, I realised that a N-Brass Fairburn chimney was almost a perfect match, albeit too tall, so after turning this down with mini drill, the repair was completed. Once painted it should be ok.

Showing the original build:

Next is the front end detail and the reverser for this type of D49 which is different from the original build and will need a little scratchbuilding work. Boiler handrail is dry assembled right now apart from the front knob which is soldered, the rest need doing now it looks ok.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog
« Reply #635 on: September 25, 2019, 09:56:28 PM »
Further small steps on the D49, front end detail mostly added. Still needs buffers (obviously!) though I'm out of them right now, and a few other bits.

Also painted the wheels and front bogie black.

I realised the reverser is moulded. I'm 50:50 on removing it all and replacing with wire though.

Cheers,
Alan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #636 on: October 22, 2019, 07:58:00 PM »
While I've not posted much, the effort to clear the decks of projects has continued.

I'm stuck with D49 until getting parts from N-Brass, but I'm waiting until getting a number of projects to the point of needing parts allowing order of everything at once.

The next one out of the box of to-dos is an old favourite.....yes another.....another Langley 4MT 4-6-0. I've almost vowed never to do another, but this was very much worth saving a while back - originating from @N Gauge Bob . Someone had pre-fitted separate handrails, and it was on a late chassis, so that's a lot of good points that made me grab it!

Bad points were that the chassis needed wheel re-quartering to really run well (but it does run sweet now) and a few smaller parts like the front steps were gone. I've pushed on, stripped it, cleaned up, reassembled in low melt solder and tidied the detail, transferred the tender detail to a new top (Langleys tender castings seem very varied, and I had a crisper one kicking about) and added the missing rear tender ladder in brass as well as the front steps in brass.

Still some bits to fit, and on the shopping list from N Brass is a new front bogie for this one.

Need to raise those tender buffers a little as they sit a smidge low.

Next was a really long shot project - after stumbling across this maybe 5 years ago, I've never had the heart to toss it, or the stamina to do anything with it. The model is the brass, seemingly scratchbuilt, body for a Caledonian 419 style 0-4-4 tank. The photos show it on a Dapol M7 chassis, but it did not originally have this - I'd already ground out the interior to accept this. I've no idea the original builder, but it has all the right salient features.

[/url]

[/url]

Therefore I've started again on this - to push it through to conclusion. Hopefully it will flatter the original builder's (decent) work. I'm sure it'll fill the swear box a little more too. It does have a litany of stuff needing doing:

- neither side footplate is actually straight, and the cab leans back on one side (you can see the gap)
- the rear footplate was bent over, presumably to start creating the buffer beam, but this was poor and I'd already bent it back - but it's got a lot of wrinkles and hopefully can be corrected.
- the cab and bunker are both completely empty
- no cab roof or rear spectacles
- no smokebox door
- no detail of any sort
- no means to affix the chassis.

All of the above are the tasks to be undertaken - a lot! But it will potentially be nice with the solid weight of a fully metal body on that Dapol chassis. I intend to make the attachments such that the chassis can be changed out in future should I come up with something better.

Will be challenge this one!

Still plenty more unfinished to dig out too  :confused1:

Cheers,
Alan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #637 on: October 23, 2019, 05:26:18 PM »
Last night began the concerted effort on the Caly. I straightened up the cabsides by loosening the previously soldered joints as well as some razor saw cuts. Also the base of the tank was cut through and re-soldered to allow straightening. Everything is now structurally closer to square.

I fitted the front bufferbeam (scrap etch) and the tank handrails, and cab handrails. The nice thing about brass is it's all so strong when soldered, details like this can be added reasonably early in the process.

Front end and rear end buffers, beams and detail next.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:34:26 PM by Dr Al »

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #638 on: October 23, 2019, 06:22:38 PM »
 :heart2: :heart2: Looking good on the D49...one thing, it might be the photo, but the horizontal handrail at the rear looks a bit crooked....

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #639 on: October 23, 2019, 06:28:03 PM »
:heart2: :heart2: Looking good on the D49...one thing, it might be the photo, but the horizontal handrail at the rear looks a bit crooked....

Noted - though none of the handrails are actually attached yet - just press fitted to get them built as independent assemblies.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #640 on: October 23, 2019, 07:09:18 PM »
I also found a new primer for PE that you might want to try https://www.vms-supplies.com/vms-metal-prep-primer

Available in the UK from SMS  https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/metal-prep-4k-vms-vms-ax-04

I just ordered some after hearing good things about it.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #641 on: October 23, 2019, 07:22:29 PM »
I also found a new primer for PE that you might want to try https://www.vms-supplies.com/vms-metal-prep-primer

Available in the UK from SMS  https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/metal-prep-4k-vms-vms-ax-04

I just ordered some after hearing good things about it.

Interesting - thanks.

Let me know how you get on with it.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 11:39:33 PM by Dr Al »

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #642 on: October 24, 2019, 12:06:24 AM »
Tonight's work pushed the Caly on more than I was anticipating - it's surprising how far you can go in a short time when you just....get on with it!

Both bufferbeams, buffers and coupling hooks all added, rear in particular needing quite a bit of tidy up and cut down of the rear footplate. Front lamp irons also added and hole drilled in rear bunker for one there.

A dome was added, and this needs the top shaping to make more accurate.

Pipework on left side and front handrail have been loosely added, though that boiler handrail needs some shaping refinement before fully attached.

Finally, the Westinghouse brake pump was modified from an N brass casting and added to the right hand side of the cab. This isn't quite perfect, but it's as close as it's going to get.

Lots to do, and lots still to clean up!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #643 on: October 24, 2019, 12:19:43 AM »
great work as always. looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #644 on: October 28, 2019, 11:25:24 PM »
More progress on the Caly. Front and rear, starting with the rear.

Starting tonight, the rear bunker was coming together, but still a bit to do:

After a few hours:

Rear lamp irons fitted (interesting on the bufferbeam of this prototype, they sprout from the beam itself, and are shaped around the footplate). Rear cab vertical also added.

At the front end, the front boiler handrail has been shaped a bit better. The smokebox door has been mocked in as has the sloping part below it, shaped from solid brass. The smokebox door being whitemetal will need to be the very last thing fitted in low melt solder.

Large boiler pipe also fitted, and loco is starting to get some character now!

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal