!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog, and adding some Zs  (Read 75594 times)

Offline icairns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 6662
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - V1
« Reply #600 on: August 16, 2019, 07:38:59 PM »
Not in the same class as Dr. Al, but here is my version of the ATSO-CAD 3D print for the LNER V1/V3.

By a coincidence, my locomotive is also numbered 67664, possibly because the number was relatively easy to make up from the Fox transfer sheet and it had a fully made up smokebox number.

The chassis is the Graham Farish N class 2-6-0 with the original rear driving wheel with a traction tyre replaced by a spare non-traction tyre wheel from Bachmann spares.  I have added small amounts of lead weights were possible and the loco runs very smoothly.

I decided not to attempt to line this loco as I was concerned that any irregularities (and there would have been some!) would diminish the overall look.

I think that the ATSO-CAD 3D models are well designed and thought out.  My only disappointment was that Steve decided not to pursue any further models before he had issued the mark 2 version of the Thompson L1 (which I was looking forward to).

Ian
Los Angeles

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #601 on: August 16, 2019, 11:11:25 PM »
To wrap the V1 story up, I've completed the remaining tasks - whistle fitted, cylinders matt painted.

I also went back to the original build, 67623, and fitted cylinder drains to it also.

Final portraits of both:

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #602 on: August 19, 2019, 07:20:25 PM »
After completing the V1s, I've turned back to the protracted project that is the Fowler 2-6-4T, an interesting contrast in both prototype and model construction.

This is starting to get closer - I've added the rear pipework at the bunker back, and the cab roof. The cab roof was exceptionally poorly fitting, and has had to be significantly filled with low melt solder.

The cab interior was scratchbuilt with sheets of whitemetal from various old scrap kits - necessary as the motor will not protrude into this area, unlike using the original Farish B5 chassis it was designed for.

Whilst the base of these details looks rough, they will be covered with the coal load, so are not of concern.

Next are coupling hooks, lamp irons at front end and the LMS injector on the smokebox side. Once these are done it'll be close to cleanup and primer.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #603 on: August 20, 2019, 11:15:43 PM »
Focus has gathered on the Fowler 2-6-4T and it's getting close to completion now.

I've been steadily tackling the bits of detail that I've been putting off, including the side pipework (injectors?) on the loco's smokebox left side, the lamp irons, smokebox door, and the bufferbeam coupling hooks as well as the under cab pipework and some cleanup of the cab roof.

The side pipework is based around an N-brass casting for the injector, but heavily modified, turned down in a mini-drill to reduce its diameter, and various wire parts added. Aspects here aren't quite right, but they are necessary for fit around the tank lids which are somewhat overscale (I've already cut down their height).

A lot of cleanup needed now - some right rough areas! I do want also to work on the base of the cylinders to add the drain cocks and suchlike which are prominant on Fowler outside cylinder locos.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #604 on: August 21, 2019, 08:36:22 AM »
Superb detailing, Alan. :goggleeyes:

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #605 on: August 21, 2019, 09:22:44 AM »
Seconded
Not sure I have the dexterity to manage that level of detailing.
Excellent work Alan.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #606 on: August 22, 2019, 12:11:07 AM »
Primer always shows up some rough areas, and there are quite a few, but overall it could be a lot rougher (nothing as bad as the 47xx!).

I also sorted out the cylinders with the drains and details, prominent on Fowler locos.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - Fowler 2-6-4T
« Reply #607 on: August 22, 2019, 06:30:32 PM »
Dr Al, without me backtracking some 40 pages of this post, may I ask whose whitemetal kit have you started with and which Farish chassis is it started from?
(I have the GEM Fowler on a Black 5 chassis).

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #608 on: August 22, 2019, 06:42:39 PM »
Dr Al, without me backtracking some 40 pages of this post, may I ask whose whitemetal kit have you started with and which Farish chassis is it started from?
(I have the GEM Fowler on a Black 5 chassis).

This Fowler 2-6-4T is a GEM kit, heavily modified, on modified 3MT chassis.

If you mean which was the very first loco I ever kitbuilt in whitemetal that'd be a Langley 4MT, Farish B5 chassis and heavily modified Minitrix tender - it's the topmost here as 75021:

It's not on the start of this thread as it was done years before this forum was even a thing.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #609 on: August 26, 2019, 09:38:02 PM »
Fowler now available in black.

I also added some front frames under the very front footplate as the gap was a little large.

Next will be a fairly mammoth lining session.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #610 on: August 26, 2019, 11:50:16 PM »
Great work Alan, as I have come to expect from your talented hands!

One question, on the pipe fittings by the couplers (your brass wire), how did you go about getting such a good even coil and what size wire did you use? It looks very convincing, so I am hoping to replicate your approach.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #611 on: August 27, 2019, 12:37:54 AM »
One question, on the pipe fittings by the couplers (your brass wire), how did you go about getting such a good even coil and what size wire did you use? It looks very convincing, so I am hoping to replicate your approach.

It's just from various wires, with armature coil wire wrapped around tightly to mimic the hose of the vacuum pipe. I'm afraid I don't know the actual sources as I've had that wire since 1999, and even then it was used!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #612 on: August 27, 2019, 01:42:46 AM »
So do you coil this by hand or using a tool, like a dremel?

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #613 on: August 27, 2019, 08:50:08 AM »
So do you coil this by hand or using a tool, like a dremel?

By hand.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #614 on: August 27, 2019, 02:31:49 PM »
A big wow, as that looks pretty tight and darn even!

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal