!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - Lockdown projects  (Read 95550 times)

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - 47xx
« Reply #555 on: July 22, 2019, 02:16:09 PM »
Hi Al

Im really wanting a K1, so would the easiest option (with minimal conversion) be to use a N class chassis, V2 tender then a B1 boiler? i presume the B1 boiler would need cutting down silightly?

Hi Paul,

As Alan says, the B1 body was not designed for the N class chassis and will need some material removing from the inside of the boiler in order to fit over the motor. I've built two K3s (with a third planned) using the N class. My personal opinion is that it is probably the easiest way to produce an acceptable locomotive (although Alan's methods are more accurate). However, you will probably need to remove a little plastic from the valve gear hanger as well as to file the rear of the chassis block to conform with the round top firebox shape of the K1 to get a good fit. The biggest issue is that the supply of spare V2 tenders seems to have dried up now. I have three remaining which I'm zealously guarding as they are earmarked for future projects. A Dapol B1 tender might be an alternative, but rigging up a draw bar and power feed won't be quite as simple as the V2 option.

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #556 on: July 22, 2019, 04:32:45 PM »
Hi Al

Im really wanting a K1, so would the easiest option (with minimal conversion) be to use a N class chassis, V2 tender then a B1 boiler? i presume the B1 boiler would need cutting down silightly?

Hi Paul,

As Alan says, the B1 body was not designed for the N class chassis and will need some material removing from the inside of the boiler in order to fit over the motor. I've built two K3s (with a third planned) using the N class. My personal opinion is that it is probably the easiest way to produce an acceptable locomotive (although Alan's methods are more accurate). However, you will probably need to remove a little plastic from the valve gear hanger as well as to file the rear of the chassis block to conform with the round top firebox shape of the K1 to get a good fit. The biggest issue is that the supply of spare V2 tenders seems to have dried up now. I have three remaining which I'm zealously guarding as they are earmarked for future projects. A Dapol B1 tender might be an alternative, but rigging up a draw bar and power feed won't be quite as simple as the V2 option.

thanks stevie, im so wanting a k1 but im nowhere near good enough for any major butchery etc. trimming down a boiler in size may be just about my limit haha! im not good with stuff like that!

the cylinder block would need replacing on a N class wouldnt it?

cheers

Paul
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #557 on: July 22, 2019, 05:20:26 PM »
thanks stevie, im so wanting a k1 but im nowhere near good enough for any major butchery etc. trimming down a boiler in size may be just about my limit haha! im not good with stuff like that!

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately, there is only one way to become good at any modelling skill. Have a good, you might surprise yourself.  :)

I've not replaced the cylinder block on any of my own conversions. With apologies to Alan for posting my own efforts on his thread, here are my own K3s and V1, all of which were built around the N class chassis.

Personally, I don't think that the N class block looks awful as is. Being picky, I might revisit them at some point to sand off the joint on the cylinder covers and knock up some kind of representation of the front valve guides for the three cylinder Grelsey conjugated valve gear, but I wouldn't replace them. For a two cylinder K1, you wouldn't need to represent the front valve guides at all.

Alan's B1 donor approach on the other hand results in a totally accurate wheelbase and gives you the correct tender, which are both major plus points. However, you'll need to move the cylinders back and do some surgery to the valve gear.

It's totally a personal preference thing if you're happy with the cylinders and other compromises (i.e. slightly short coupled wheelbase and wrong bracket for the expansion link) that come with using the N class chassis or not.

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #558 on: July 22, 2019, 05:24:00 PM »

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately, there is only one way to become good at any modelling skill. Have a good, you might surprise yourself.  :)

I've not replaced the cylinder block on any of my own conversions. With apologies to Alan for posting my own efforts on his thread, here are my own K3s and V1, all of which were built around the N class chassis.

Personally, I don't think that the N class block looks awful as is. Being picky, I might revisit them at some point to sand off the joint on the cylinder covers and knock up some kind of representation of the front valve guides for the three cylinder Grelsey conjugated valve gear, but I wouldn't replace them. For a two cylinder K1, you wouldn't need to represent the front valve guides at all.

Alan's B1 donor approach on the other hand results in a totally accurate wheelbase and gives you the correct tender, which are both major plus points. However, you'll need to move the cylinders back and do some surgery to the valve gear.

It's totally a personal preference thing if you're happy with the cylinders and other compromises (i.e. slightly short coupled wheelbase and wrong bracket for the expansion link) that come with using the N class chassis or not.

got to admit im fancying a V1 more and more i see it, nice sized tank engine!

i may give the k1  go at some point using the n class chassis. shame there isnt a K1 3D printed body to fit on the N class chassis, would make things easier lol

cheers

Paul

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #559 on: July 22, 2019, 05:29:39 PM »
i may give the k1  go at some point using the n class chassis. shame there isnt a K1 3D printed body to fit on the N class chassis, would make things easier lol

I did get as far as a test print (needing serious corrections) before the V2 tender spares dried up which put pay to the project. I could've knocked up something to take the N class tender wheels but that would have required etches to provide pickup off the pinpoints, which is currently beyond my purse to do when you consider how few would likely be sold.

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #560 on: July 22, 2019, 05:31:50 PM »

I did get as far as a test print (needing serious corrections) before the V2 tender spares dried up which put pay to the project. I could've knocked up something to take the N class tender wheels but that would have required etches to provide pickup off the pinpoints, which is currently beyond my purse to do when you consider how few would likely be sold.

i was thinking about taking the motor out of the farish b1 tender, as that should couple up to the n class i think? least then it makes an empty tender to put a sound decoder in lol

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #561 on: July 22, 2019, 05:35:53 PM »
i was thinking about taking the motor out of the farish b1 tender, as that should couple up to the n class i think? least then it makes an empty tender to put a sound decoder in lol

That would work, but it would be an expensive way of doing things.

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #562 on: July 22, 2019, 05:41:55 PM »

That would work, but it would be an expensive way of doing things.

i was only thinking cos i had a B1 sitting here,its weathered but its got no use to me!

all i would need is a N class chassis and the K1 body lol

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+54)
    • Awards
« Reply #563 on: July 22, 2019, 05:50:33 PM »

You don't need either if you have a B1....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Stevie DC

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #564 on: July 22, 2019, 06:03:58 PM »

Indeed.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #565 on: July 23, 2019, 04:45:25 PM »
47xx, now available in green....

Given how rough this was when first primered, I'm pretty happy with the current result. Still some small blemishes, but nothing that will draw the eye once lining applied and black areas done.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #566 on: July 23, 2019, 04:52:39 PM »
That is pretty damn awesome. I want one!

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #567 on: July 23, 2019, 05:05:56 PM »
I think this one's going to be a stunner !

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #568 on: July 23, 2019, 11:20:00 PM »
Next stage of paint, done by brush.

Some touching up required, but is starting to come together. Hopefully when glossed the two BR greens will match enough to not be noticable.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline portland-docks

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #569 on: July 24, 2019, 03:34:52 PM »

Cheers,
Alan

that is probably true, but im not brave enough to alter chassis etc, i like nice simple ways of doing things haha

cheers

Paul

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100%