!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog, and adding some Zs  (Read 67880 times)

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - 47xx
« Reply #525 on: July 11, 2019, 05:34:18 AM »
I am as green as the engine will be, but with envy, another outstanding job Alan. by the way, what is the minimum radius that it will negotiate?

Regards,

Alex

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #526 on: July 11, 2019, 09:30:25 AM »
what is the minimum radius that it will negotiate?

I've clearance tested it on R2 10.5" radius (albeit free rolling), which is tighter than anything it'll be run on (min 12"). I suspect it would do R1 9" radius, though probably would want more loco weight. That's something I intend to do anyway, as the loco body is completely empty, and I want to add further pickups to the front wheels which will only add more drag.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #527 on: July 12, 2019, 11:19:36 PM »
The first coat of primer showed......a *lot* of surface blemishes, scratches and holes.

So there's been a fair bit of sanding, smoothing, and light filling prior to next round (I think there will be several).

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #528 on: July 14, 2019, 11:54:21 PM »
Round 2 of filler and primer and things are improving, but still a number of blemishes to improve, particularly on lower smokebox and lower firebox. This may seem overkill, but airbrushed paint is totally unforgiving because it does on so thin, so the base surface needs to be as good as possible.

Also pottering with the second V1, while cleaning the 47xxs surfaces, I felt I might as well do the same on this - it's a job I really don't enjoy! Some details already fitted, but I've now run out of handrail parts, so progress will pause on those until more ordered.

Cheers,
Alan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #529 on: July 17, 2019, 11:45:25 PM »
Yet another filler, smoothing, primer pass and still not perfect on the 47xx. There will be point where I'll have to accept it won't get much better. A lot of the worst is better though, particularly the area where the smokebox transitions into the boiler.

In parallel, I've finished re-lining the tender. It's done, just needing final varnishing, which won't happen until the loco reaches the same stage.

In parallel I've fast pushed the V1 to a point where I'm stuck until supplies arrive. Only a few handrails to do (all need set and bonded, so some are at wonky angles just now), hole to drill for whistle, and safety valves to fit.

Rear bogie, with pickups:

Rear detail. Lamp irons have been replaced to be consistent with those on loco front:

Top lamp iron and numberplate fitted:

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #530 on: July 18, 2019, 09:51:13 AM »
Great stuff Alan. I'm really loving what you're doing with that 47xx!  8)

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #531 on: July 18, 2019, 12:18:42 PM »
Making good progress Alan and giving me loads of ideas on how to upgrade some of my own! On the primer front, what are you using?

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #532 on: July 18, 2019, 05:51:06 PM »
On the primer front, what are you using?

It's a standard car body aerosol etching primer. It's ok, but nothing brilliant frankly - there's nothing good for ultimate adhesion of paint these days (well.....I certainly haven't found any, in these days of excess regulation).

It adheres ok, but IPA will strip it completely, possibly implying the etching aspect isn't actually acting that well. I'm careful with all models, but anything home painted even more so as they can get chipped easily.

Nothing like whatever Farish used back in the Poole days - yes they can be chipped, but boy does their finish adhere well, compared to modern stuff.

If anyone actually knows of something better, thinner, in aerosol or a simple airbrushable form then I'd be all ears!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #533 on: July 18, 2019, 07:07:11 PM »
It's a standard car body aerosol etching primer. It's ok, but nothing brilliant frankly - there's nothing good for ultimate adhesion of paint these days (well.....I certainly haven't found any, in these days of excess regulation).

It adheres ok, but IPA will strip it completely, possibly implying the etching aspect isn't actually acting that well. I'm careful with all models, but anything home painted even more so as they can get chipped easily.

Nothing like whatever Farish used back in the Poole days - yes they can be chipped, but boy does their finish adhere well, compared to modern stuff.

If anyone actually knows of something better, thinner, in aerosol or a simple airbrushable form then I'd be all ears!

Cheers,
Alan

Unfortunately Alan, I've found the same problem with car body aerosol etching primers. I've been told that Precision Paint's two part etching primer is excellent but I am yet to try it. It doesn't fall into the category of a simple airbrushable form unfortunately; but if it does work...

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #534 on: July 18, 2019, 07:42:50 PM »
Well some time ago I switched to using Badger's Stynylrez (sold in Europe as Ultimate Primer in the UK as well as Mig by Ammo) and found it works great on most everything. It has become my one stop primer and is great in an airbrush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9s4PPNASSs
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:44:40 PM by Doc Pye »

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #535 on: July 19, 2019, 12:19:57 AM »
Unfortunately Alan, I've found the same problem with car body aerosol etching primers. I've been told that Precision Paint's two part etching primer is excellent but I am yet to try it. It doesn't fall into the category of a simple airbrushable form unfortunately; but if it does work...

I've never tried it, but do have a tin and a tin of the thinners. I've had it for over a decade, and was immediately put off when at that time it simply wasn't clear if it would etch the ass out of the airbrush and fundamentally wreck it.

A fresh look is probably in order to research what is available now.

Cheers,
Alan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #536 on: July 19, 2019, 12:36:54 AM »
Well some time ago I switched to using Badger's Stynylrez (sold in Europe as Ultimate Primer in the UK as well as Mig by Ammo) and found it works great on most everything. It has become my one stop primer and is great in an airbrush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9s4PPNASSs

Interesting, but I fear that it's bugbear may be that it doesn't appear to be etching. My experience is that this is essential for some metals like brass, where a fingernail will immediately take off any standard primers. Of course with mixed material models like 3D print plastics with etched or turned brass detail parts, finding something that primes everything properly is a challenge.

It's acrylic, so I'd need to revisit if overcoating enamels works (I have so many of these that I'm very locked in to using them for the foreseeable future - a legacy of aircraft modelling, as below).

Mr. Surfacer was mentioned, and does seem to get decent reviews as a filler primer, but again I've never used it - there is appeal as to whether this would ease the 3D print smoothing process (which I absolutely bl***y hate!).

In terms of plastic modelling, aircraft etc....errr....I must confess....I've done all the cardinal sins - never primed - never cleaned the parts, never used acrylics.......and.......never had any problems:

....even on metallics.....

Don't tempt me with aircraft modelling videos tho, or these locos will never get finished....!!! Too much to build, too little time!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Doc Pye

• Awards
« Reply #537 on: July 19, 2019, 12:57:03 AM »
I use it for multimedia kits I build (AFVs and such) and never had any problems. I also give all my models a good couple of coats of Future floor polish before dulling them down with some Testors Dullcoat, and they are very strong and robust for handling.

Tamiya Extra Fine Primer in a rattle can also does a good job but the Stynelrez is really good, as it self-levels even if you go to heavy in an area.

PS Stynelrez is also sold by Mig Ammo paints (just under a different name). https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-colors/934-one-shot-primer-grey.html
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 01:02:02 AM by Doc Pye »

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #538 on: July 19, 2019, 01:05:42 AM »
Testors Dullcote is another can of worms - it's just nowhere near as good as it used to be 5 or 10 years ago (the EU busibody regulation friendly formula is complete trash IMHO).

It used to be my go-to, but in recent times about the last 10 or so cans I've had, I've used it at times to (try to) matt a satin or even high gloss surface, and got absolutely no change to said surface. It seems absolutely arbitrary as to whether you get a result. Even after multiple coats, and multiple arm knackering shaking mix sessions to ensure the matting agent is actually fully mixed in. And even from different cans!

Moreover, if you go in too heavy with it, it can wrinkle decals and base paint layers - I've had two models I've had perform open-paintwork-surgery on to rescue their finish and avoid having to strip to bare and start again.

I've all but given up on it now - the absolute difference of using airbrushed Phoenix Precision Matt is startling. it's almost too matt by comparison - and very like what Dullcote used to, but now fails to achieve.

Those Spits were done with the old Dullcote - and look at their deep matt.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #539 on: July 19, 2019, 07:06:22 PM »
question regarding the L1, its on an N class chassis didnt you say? so is there a facility to put the 6pin dcc socket in the cab? how much room is there under the shell?

cheers

Paul
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25%