!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dr Al's workbench - clearing the backlog, and adding some Zs  (Read 68607 times)

SouthernJohn, Dr Al and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Dr Al's workbench - V1, V3
« Reply #360 on: November 11, 2018, 08:01:42 PM »
I suspect some assume nothing ever goes wrong on a build - oh how untrue! Here being a perfect example of the need for a recovery.

The MN was varnished with satin, which dried gloss! on closer inspection I realised the paint was not mixed right. It took about 2 days to fully dry, on which I re-coated with satin (mixed this time!) and all looked fine. Peeling the masking back, and disaster - one cabside the varnish peeled off right back to the factory paint.

Fortunately it looks like this can be peeled clean off, re-decalled and then re-vanished. The tender is fine as is the other cab side.

The V1 has been painted (black, obviously), and lined out. The body is pretty near finished now - just needs cleaned, a couple of minor black touch ups, and varnish (with care given the above!). The chassis wants the cylinders dealt with, weight added and the cab floor installed. But this one is close now.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline thebrighton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #361 on: November 11, 2018, 08:29:34 PM »
I feel your pain, I recently varnished a build with a brand new rattle can of Railmatch matt varnish (new because, as you know, use it once and you may as well bin it) which dried to a nice high gloss!

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #362 on: November 12, 2018, 09:51:09 AM »
I feel your pain, I recently varnished a build with a brand new rattle can of Railmatch matt varnish (new because, as you know, use it once and you may as well bin it) which dried to a nice high gloss!

Varnishing is always the stage that has you slightly holding your breath, as it's the worst possible time for a problem to occur, after all the other work has already gone in.

Fortunately the entire panel has been able to be cleanly peeled off, taking the decals with it admittedly, but those have been replaced now, so back to the point of just needing varnish.

I have to say that this was my fault - the varnish (Phoenix Precision) has performed just fine now it has been fully mixed. It's been a long time since I used it, so just completely forgot that the matting agents inevitably settle out at the base of the tin. I do tend to find the first use of any paint you are much more prone to a gloss finish, even if you mix it properly - to the point where I often open a new tin, mix it up, and close it again, so that the actual first use has much less chance of problems.

Also, I can't say I've used Railmatch for a long time - the paint seemed fine, but their containers were hopeless - the lids would get jammed onto the bottles with even the slightest paint around the rim, and I found that short of actually destroying the lids (therefore rendering the container useless), they would not come off at all. At least with metal tins you can always lever the lid off.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #363 on: November 14, 2018, 05:17:22 PM »
V1 has now been varnished, so paintwork is complete, just needs the cylinders done and a few minor internal bits doing (including the chassis boiler underside on the RHS).

Has come out pretty well and leads the way for the second one I have with the revised bunker.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline RichardBattersby

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Awards
« Reply #364 on: November 14, 2018, 05:49:23 PM »
Incredible work!
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #365 on: November 14, 2018, 06:45:03 PM »
Superb.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #366 on: November 14, 2018, 08:11:35 PM »
What a beauty :drool:
(Don't worry, Alan. I'll not be after one)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #367 on: November 14, 2018, 09:02:04 PM »
What a beauty :drool:
(Don't worry, Alan. I'll not be after one)

Seconded!

A splendid-looking locomotive. 
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #368 on: November 27, 2018, 03:28:32 PM »
With Shapeways doing a 15% discount today and some of my HOCT prints selling I have just re-invested in V1, V3 and an N2 prints for my Christmas  :D

Could I ask for some specific photos to be posted of the modified chassis for these locos. 

A photo is worth a hundred words of explanation and I think would be welcomed by many. :thumbsup:

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #369 on: November 27, 2018, 05:30:52 PM »
Could I ask for some specific photos to be posted of the modified chassis for these locos. 

A photo is worth a hundred words of explanation and I think would be welcomed by many. :thumbsup:

I did post one pic a few pages back. Nominally it's unmodified other than removal of the DCC gubbins from the N class tender and fitting the rear bogie to the existing Farish drawbar peg; but on running trials I've identified one issue that will necessitate modifications, but this hasn't been done yet, so I don't have a pic!

Then also some cosmetic mods will follow to the cylinders, but only once running is sweet.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #370 on: November 27, 2018, 05:32:31 PM »

I did post one pic a few pages back. Nominally it's unmodified other than removal of the DCC gubbins from the N class tender and fitting the rear bogie to the existing Farish drawbar peg; but on running trials I've identified one issue that will necessitate modifications, but this hasn't been done yet, so I don't have a pic!

Then also some cosmetic mods will follow to the cylinders, but only once running is sweet.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks, any shots would be great.

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #371 on: December 03, 2018, 11:36:01 PM »
V1 has now completed testing, and a couple of minor issues have been resolved. One is that the ride height is rather high - something I'm not a fan of. I had already modified the print to sit the body down as much as possible, but found on track with the body on a sticking point per wheel rotation. After some puzzling I realised that the flanges of the rear drivers were rubbing on the cab floor underside - removal of some material from its underside has cured it.

Significant progress has been made on the D49, with the tender connections made, proper clearances sorted out around the bogie, and painting of the chassis and wheels. I do think this design would benefit from some blocks behind the cab steps with a hole to set in Dapol wire pickup stubs to ease connection (electrically) of loco and tender. I've bonded some in instead.

The body has been painted and a marathon lining session saw all lining done in one night, apart from one final correction that's needed.

Also, progress has been made on an Ivatt 4 - this has been kicking around for ages, but after seeing a few other folks attempts it's kicked the project forward with some inspiration. Starting point is the standard 4MT 2-6-0, with running plate removed, and cab reshaped including moving the windows forward to give the square version of the cab that the LMS loco had as compared the standard. The tender has had the bunker shortened (this necessitated cutting down the DCC blanking plug - fortunately half the PCB is functionally unnecessary so can be cut down). The loco cab roof has been cut down in length and reshaped, and an additional roof fitted to the tender as well as reshaped tender side windows.

I am hoping this can be a part repaint, retaining the boiler lining of the original loco.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #372 on: December 04, 2018, 09:00:51 AM »
I do like the Ivatt 4,something I've been considering for a while now, any chance of a pic of the other side please ?

Online Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #373 on: December 04, 2018, 09:16:29 AM »
I do like the Ivatt 4,something I've been considering for a while now, any chance of a pic of the other side please ?

At the moment it's the same as the side shown! I've still got to get down to doing the pipework detail on that side - awaiting a copy of "The Power of Ivatt 2-6-0s" to land to get some proper reference photos!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #374 on: December 04, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
 I'll look forward to see how she turns out. :thankyousign:                                                                                                               Bill

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything