!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

What do you think of this model?

Superb
1 (5%)
Good
0 (0%)
OK
5 (25%)
Poor
4 (20%)
Terrible
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Lima - BR Shunter Blue/Green [German Based] (Cat No: 212/213)  (Read 3635 times)

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
Lima - BR Shunter Blue/Green [German Based] (Cat No: 212/213)
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »
 :NGaugeForum:

Offline haeckmaen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: quit
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • My flickr photo stream - totally railways
    • Awards
Re: Lima - BR Shunter Blue/Green [German Based] (Cat No: 212/213)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:24:21 PM »
It's funny to ask for a rating of this model since regarding to prototypical appearance it's entire trash even compared with other lima stuff (maybe except the 0-4-0 shunter). I wonder it was actually meant to represent a clayton class 17 or just painted somewhat British because the range didn't have to much to offer at that time (nor at any other time).

However, for the sake of Lima they were not the only manufacturer to paint existing continental models into fictious BR liveries. Arnold did with a french shunter which doesn't resemble to any British loco at all:

http://www.spurweite-n.de/content/NDBSearch/ArtikelDetails.asp?ID=453056458&DoLog=0&Sel_Bezeichnung_VString=&Submit=Suchen&Sel_ArtikelNr_VString=2059&Sel_Mixed_Full=&ToShow=1&MaxCount=4

This is all serious modelling compared with the liveries Piko manufactured in N gauge at GDR times. They'd have chosen any livery that enabled Russian or Czech prototypes to be sold in western European supermarkets, preferably Dutch, French and Western German. See these true beauties here: http://www.piko-n.com/elloks.htm
In contrast to British Lima, both the vintage fictious Lima and Arnold liveries can reach serious prices at swap meets and auctions.

End of off-topic area ::)

Matthias

Online Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »
It's funny to ask for a rating of this model since regarding to prototypical appearance it's entire trash.....

;D ;D ;D  Well, I can't miss out on a review of a classic like this!   :thumbsup:

Offline tadpole

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:39:32 PM »
Mine ran OK, and I ignored any pretence at it resembling a Clayton. In my bizarre little world, it was simply a German class 212 loco that BR tried out for a few months, and was so impressed that it ordered a fleet of Claytons instead. Rather than re-export the demonstrator to Germany, Ford purchased it to shunt its small yard on my Weymouth layout.

Eventually common sense prevailed, Weymouth was closed and lifted, and the loco found a new home thanks to eBay. Coincidentally, my current Ford plant (Pirmasens, Germany) is now shunted by a proper Roco class 212 in DB livery.

Oh, why not...  :Class414:

Two rails good. Three better.

Online Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
I bought mine for 4 originally, secondhand.  I glazed it and repainted it into Revised Network SouthEast livery, kept it a few months in the sidings, then sold it on eBay for over 50 I think.   :thumbsup:

Offline haeckmaen

• N Gauge Society Number: quit
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • My flickr photo stream - totally railways
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:19:25 AM »
Believe it or not there is a prototype to the lima model: During 1966, German television made up a TV-series called "Die Gentlemen bitten zur Kasse", the german version of "The Great Robbery". Whilst no permission was given to produce in the UK, the robbery scene was filmed in Germany with a V200 and a V100 (that's it!) turned out in BR liveries!

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 02:31:12 PM »
I'll just leave this here.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 06:44:15 AM by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Bornin1980something

• N Gauge Society Number: 12099
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 12:49:49 AM »
I have one, aquired at Shildon only this year! It was checked and oiled by a more experienced modeller, and it runs, though it is loud, and cannot maintain very low speeds.

For its age, though, it is a near masterpiece. It doesn't not represent a twin engined class 17, nor is it meant to - there was no D8900 series. It is a good 1:160 scale model of a single engined German diesel-hydraulic  (the 'bonnets' are of unequal length). Mechanically, the prototype has more in common with a Class 14! The model chassis is ingenious. It is not a bogie chassis, but a 1-B-1 - a rigid four wheel chassis with outer trucks seamlessly pivoted to look like bogies. Most impressively, although the motor  makes use of the cab, it stops below the windows line, letting daylight through the cab - at a time when some larger Minitrix models had solid windows. With this level of miniaturization, one wonders why their later British models were so tall.

Apparently, Lima's big mistake was sticking with 9v motors. I always try to run it at less than three-quarters power, using a basic Bach-far controller.

As for a German prototype in British livery, remember that, at the time, a Railway Modeller booklet recommended using foreign modern freight wagons straight out of the box, possibly in much the same way many modern image layouts now use Japanese road vehicles! I believe they also released their British 86 and 31 in foreign liveries!

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 06:22:18 AM »
I have voted on the basis of the superb rendition of faded BR blue as shown in railsquid's piccy.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations