!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

What do you think of this model?

Superb
0 (0%)
Good
1 (4%)
OK
2 (8%)
Poor
17 (68%)
Terrible
5 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Lima - Class 31 Blue/Green (Cat No: 209/214)  (Read 4267 times)

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
Lima - Class 31 Blue/Green (Cat No: 209/214)
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:48:46 PM »
 :NGaugeForum:

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
Re: Lima - Class 31 Blue/Green (Cat No: 209/214)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:28:26 PM »
A very tricky one to answer, as it was such an early model...and remained the only r-t-r class 31 until Farish produced theirs in the early 1990s. Whilst it is a case of comparing apples with oranges when looking at more modern stock, sadly the Lima 31 (as well as so many of their N Gauge offerings) was a poor model in its day when comparing with contemporaries from Continental Europe; for example the Arnold V220, or the Fleishmann class 218. It was over-scale (not helped by Lima producing under-scale carriages), and had an extremely rudimentary motor.

These models, as well as some of the early Farish which also did not stand up to overseas comparisons too well either, effectively gave UK N Gauge a bad name...and a reputation for indifference in quality models that we are only just shrugging off.

Offline TWICK9

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 09:20:36 PM »
 Yes they where over scale and the motors terrible, but I can't moan the one that appears in the top right corner of this page has just got me £36 from Australia on E Bay

Offline Allen

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 05:18:21 PM »
Very poor - but still the best Lima loco - not too bad looking, and not as catastrophically overscale as the Deltics. Once did some drastic surgery on one, taking off the roof, and slicing about 2mm down the centreline of the body, which made it much better scale-wise, then lost interest in the project & never found an alternative chassis to put it on. Interesting that they chose the rare 31/0 to model (only 10 of them built).

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 05:26:52 PM »
I put a headcode box on one of mine, and it looked a lot better. Still ran like a howling banshee though!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 05:30:40 PM »
Poor, but when I had mine in the 70s as a youngster it was a useful workhorse.    Oversized, but as @Allen  says not as bad as the Deltic  :D

To be honest I think the class 86 was a better model, a bit short but not obviously overscale. It went well with the short Lima coaches!

The final edition of the 31 with the can motor is a better and quieter runner if you can find one, but still suffers from pickups on one bogie only.  Same goes for the final can-motor version of the 86.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 06:05:21 PM »
This was my first ever N Gauge loco, mine a BR green one. I initially had it, a Minitrix box van and a circle of track to start me off. It got me into British N.

It and the several Lima locos that followed were quickly surpassed by a Minitrix Ivatt 2-6-0 which was Ok as long as you didn't want a long train pulled, the first generation of the "new chassis" Farish (integral motor type - the basis of which lasted getting on for 30 years) and the incredible Jubilee.

About the only benefit of Lima was that they were comparatively cheap.

Like most of my Lima the 31 ended up dying, was then dismantled and put in the spares box!

Roy

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 07:11:29 PM »
I had two of these, which I eventually wired together with jumper cables to give more reliable electrical pick up. They suited my layout, as most of the disc headcode were allocated to Stratford. They weren't known as skinheads in my youth., at least in my railway circles. The original twenty were known as toffee apples on the GER section due to the shape of the driver's control handle.

Not as bad as the Deltic, which I also had, but all long consigned to the scrapyard.

Martyn

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 07:23:18 PM »
I have a few of these too. They were all there was at the time, and always cheaper than Minitrix etc. Cheap also meant I was happy to take a razor saw and spray cans to them...

The 47 conversion has 20thou plasticard sheet overlaid on the sides and a new pivot-point drilled for the trailing bogie to add length!

Growing up with N Gauge probably explains why I'm quite laid back about authentic scaling, detailing and liveries!

Mike
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:45:40 PM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline Dickydcc

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »
I had one of these 40 years ago. If memory serves the motor span the wheels & the loco never moved! Mind you in those days I think I had more non-runners than runners in my collection  :(

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal