!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Replacing Peco Plastic Wagon Wheels with Metal ones  (Read 7608 times)

Offline DELETED

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Expire
    • Awards
Replacing Peco Plastic Wagon Wheels with Metal ones
« on: March 06, 2015, 08:10:19 PM »
Hi,

So I was under the impression that the original plastic wheels on Peco goods wagons could be replaced with metal ones.  I have a batch of new packs of GF steel wagon wheels, but when I fit them the axle length is noticeably longer (though they will fit) but converted Peco stock now won't roll free and won't work on a full train at all.  I thought it was supposed to be a straight swap?  What wheels should I have bought? I put the original plastic wheels back and everything runs OK again.  I don't need to swap them (they'll be used elsewhere converting pizza cutters) -but just trying to keep a clean track, and I thought metal was better than plastic for that.

Cheers,

Rich

Offline PennineWagons

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Replacing Peco Plastic Wagon Wheels with Metal ones
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 08:38:03 PM »
I believe the Parkside Dundas metal wheelsets are specifically designed as a straight swap for the Peco plastic ones. The Farish ones will fit after a fashion but the axles are slightly too long, as you said.
PW

Offline Jonny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21937
  • Hartley and Dale End. wartime LNER
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 08:42:54 PM »
I think what you will find is the recess that the axle goes into in the peco wagon is not as deepaa the gf or parkside ones.

The gf wheels fit into parkside kits no problem.  The options here are either gently drill the recess deeper to allow the extra lemgth of the axle to run free or file the gf axles down to the size of the peco ones

Hth

Jonny
Live each day as if it's your last

As one day you may be right.

Carlisle to Silloth. 1854-1964
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_and_Silloth_Bay_Railway

Offline DELETED

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Expire
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 08:50:42 PM »
Hmm, fair points guys.  I know you can get little axle reamers, but I really can't be faffed to be honest.  I have a couple of Parkside Grampus kits left -I botched one so far so should try that pair of spare axles first I guess.  I wasn't sure if filing the points off the GF wheels was an option.  Might just live with the plastic wheels to be honest.  Maybe I picked up on the wheel swap options wrong -no probs, they'll be used elsewhere as-is :thumbsup:

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 09:52:09 PM »

Hi,

So I was under the impression that the original plastic wheels on Peco goods wagons could be replaced with metal ones.  I have a batch of new packs of GF steel wagon wheels, but when I fit them the axle length is noticeably longer (though they will fit) but converted Peco stock now won't roll free and won't work on a full train at all.  I thought it was supposed to be a straight swap?  What wheels should I have bought? I put the original plastic wheels back and everything runs OK again.  I don't need to swap them (they'll be used elsewhere converting pizza cutters) -but just trying to keep a clean track, and I thought metal was better than plastic for that.

Cheers,

Rich

I have replaced all of the Peco stock that I have with modern Graham Farish wheel sets and to make them "fit" properly I pinch the axle box covers tightly over the wheel set, then see how it runs - usually on or two treatments make them run as good as the originals, and the metal wheel sets keep much cleaner than the plastic ones

Regards,

Alex

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 08:47:54 PM »
Hailstone

I just want to say thanks for your above tip, and thank you Rich (HST) for posing the original question.

I bought some Bachmann wheels yesterday to fit onto some peco wagons and had the same problem. About to put the project on hold as I too couldn't get them free running, I thought a quick use if the search function might be a good idea. That's when I came across this gem.

Okay, they're not yet as free wheeling as a Bachmann wagon, but they are good enough and for me, being used in a yard (not on vast lengths of track and not in long rakes), they will be good enough.

The pinpoints of the axles really do "drill" into the axle box covers.

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 02:24:41 AM »
Hailstone

I just want to say thanks for your above tip, and thank you Rich (HST) for posing the original question.

I bought some Bachmann wheels yesterday to fit onto some peco wagons and had the same problem. About to put the project on hold as I too couldn't get them free running, I thought a quick use if the search function might be a good idea. That's when I came across this gem.

Okay, they're not yet as free wheeling as a Bachmann wagon, but they are good enough and for me, being used in a yard (not on vast lengths of track and not in long rakes), they will be good enough.

The pinpoints of the axles really do "drill" into the axle box covers.

Cheers

Dan

Seems like a good idea to me too. I've filed a very tiny bit off the ends of my axles to make them fit and that seems to work just fine. My only concern with this method is that the way in which the slightly flattened ends might wear the axle boxes could be an issue in the long term. I first tried drilling the axle box and this proved to be a disaster as the material is so soft and thin the drill bit went straight through in a flas.

Webbo

Offline Bangor Lad

• N Gauge Society Number: 19972
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 09:38:52 AM »
I've just fitted Farish/Bachman steel wheels to three Peco wagon kits and following a good squeeze  ;) everything seems hunky dory!

:thankyousign: for the tip!
Bangor Lad
aka Dave
Winner N Gauge Society Building Cup 2015

Bespoke building services. PM for details

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/78608332@N07/albums

Offline N Gauge Bob

• N Gauge Society Number: 12922
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 10:59:39 AM »
I've just fitted Farish/Bachman steel wheels to three Peco wagon kits and following a good squeeze  ;) everything seems hunky dory!

:thankyousign: for the tip!

Just came across this thread. I too am replacing 400 pairs of Peco plastic grot collectors with nice metal wheels. This is a start to re-wheeling all my stock over the coming winter months.
Some many moons ago I purchased a bulk lot of 3 hole metal disc wheels on axles, I think from Bernie Taylor. I often speak to the supplier when I want bulk, and they ship without packaging for a discount.
I have done this too with Nick at N Brass when I bulk buy fencing. Smaller Suppliers seem quite keen to co-operate on this.
So does anyone know where bulk wheels are available now-a-days...I really won't pay Bachmanns prices?
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:
Amateurs..............built the Ark!
Professionals........built the Titanic!

Offline MikeDunn

• N Gauge Society Number: 21391
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »
Isn't someone on here actually selling these, maybe via Kickstarter ?  Sure there was a thread a few weeks back ?

Offline Calnefoxile

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »

Yes, Bob Davis, @NTrain, is doing some, not sure which variants he's doing, but I'm sure he'll be along soon to tell us  :D :D

Cheers

Neal.

Offline N Gauge Bob

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 11:49:41 AM »

Yes, Bob Davis, @NTrain, is doing some, not sure which variants he's doing, but I'm sure he'll be along soon to tell us  :D :D

Cheers

Neal.

Just 1 more, Neal, for the 1000 posts  ;)
Remember this:

Offline NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 11:54:37 AM »

Cheers

Neal.

:claphappy:

www.n-train.net/N-Wheelz-10-Pack
www.n-train.net/N-Wheelz-50-Pack

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Did someone mention my name.  :D

Offline Calnefoxile

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »

Cheers

Neal.

Oh yes Bob, thanks and here it is  :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:

I just wish it was a bit more prophetic  :D :D :D

Regards

Neal.

Just 1 more, Neal, for the 1000 posts  ;)

Offline N Gauge Bob

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 11:36:46 AM »

Cheers

Neal.

:claphappy:

www.n-train.net/N-Wheelz-10-Pack

www.n-train.net/N-Wheelz-50-Pack

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Did someone mention my name.  :D

Nice wheels Bob and a good price, but what I need is 3 hole discs unfortunately.
Cheers
Bob
Remember this:

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52%