!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Goathland - Multifunctional- 3 way point problem  (Read 3520 times)

Offline Tony G

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17762
    • Awards
Goathland - Multifunctional- 3 way point problem
« on: February 26, 2015, 10:57:25 AM »
Oh no not another Goathland!

Yep I'm afraid so!  :D I am currently building Goathland as I love the concept of a preserved railway, so that many different locos could be used from steam to diesel in many different liveries. In the grand scheme of things I would like to make it multifunctional, so I could run it as Goathland today or Army weekend running different military trains (My weakness!) and even Hogsmead with plans of building Hogwarts castle. I already have all the Liddle end buildings and also a cardboard template for the castle in 1/144 but will scale it down so that it sits on a hill in the back ground. At the minute I am still laying track and electrics but once I am happy with the way it runs scenery will commence. this will be quite a long running project due to me working silly hours, but what a better way to spend my spare time.

This is the track laid so far

and with some buildings on it to give you a better idea

and here's some electronics, not for the faint hearted  :smiley-laughing:

The layout is DCC which is new to me and a great learning curve. the total size is 8ft x 3ft which splits into 4 boards.
I will be using the dapol signals and also building my own Ground signals which will also light up. Once I start building the platform it will also have working station lamps, which I hope to make from the ratio station lamps and lit up buildings  :) Plenty to do but my priority is to have the layout running smoothly first before anything else starts. So for now plenty of wiring to do  :(

Regards Tony
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:01:45 PM by Tony G »

ScottyStitch

Re: Goathland - Multifunctional
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 11:32:52 AM »
Great start! What size is your board?

And that's not wiring, that's multi-coloured spaghetti!!!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:27:30 PM by Caz, Reason: Subject heading corrected »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 11:55:59 AM »
Eek :goggleeyes:

Fair play to you Tony, both for the wiring and choosing a Heritage Line to be able to run a wide variety of stock.

Offline Tony G

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 12:18:02 PM »
Great start! What size is your board?

And that's not wiring, that's multi-coloured spaghetti!!!

It certainly looks like spaghetti at the minute LOL! once I know all my wiring is correct i then have the fun of wiring 70 wires to D plugs/sockets. The size of the board is 8ft x 3ft

Regards Tony
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:28:59 PM by Caz, Reason: Subject heading corrected »

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »
I thought DCC was supposed to make the wiring less complicated...?  :confused2:

Chris (DC diehard)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:29:32 PM by Caz, Reason: Subject heading corrected »
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 01:11:58 PM »
i think I'd amend the title of the topic, this is a family friendly forum.... :goggleeyes:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:29:58 PM by Caz, Reason: Subject heading corrected »
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Tony G

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 01:41:32 PM »
I thought DCC was supposed to make the wiring less complicated...?  :confused2:

Chris (DC diehard)

We all know that Dcc only needs 2 wires, well that's what we were told when it first came out  :smiley-laughing:
Point motors are wired the traditional way so just a traditional control panel for me. I would get confused otherwise  :)

Regards Tony
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:30:20 PM by Caz, Reason: Subject heading corrected »

Offline Tony G

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 01:45:32 PM »
i think I'd amend the title of the topic, this is a family friendly forum.... :goggleeyes:

LOL! the title has been amended  :thumbsup:

Regards Tony

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 02:09:05 PM »
http://wiltshirecounty.npage.de/wizard-castle-free-download.html

Has Hogwarts (nowdays called 'Wizards Castle' to keep the legal dementors at bay)  in N as a free download

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:26:39 PM by Caz, Reason: Subject heading corrected »
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 02:16:33 PM »
We all know that Dcc only needs 2 wires, well that's what we were told when it first came out

Yeah and pigs might fly  :D
My DCC layout is as big a cats cradle as yours  :smiley-laughing:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:31:09 PM by Caz, Reason: Subject heading corrected »

Offline Tony G

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 06:43:32 PM »
http://wiltshirecounty.npage.de/wizard-castle-free-download.html

Has Hogwarts (nowdays called 'Wizards Castle' to keep the legal dementors at bay)  in N as a free download

Great link :) I think that's the one I have, I thought it was 1/144 but it's actually 1/160 My idea is to scale it down to about 1/4 of that size and do a bit of perspective modelling in the distance  with the use of some Z and T gauge scale people. I know I'm terrible using such swear words as Z and T gauge on a family friendly forum, hopefully you'll forgive me   :-[

Regards Tony
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 07:31:32 PM by Caz, Reason: Subject heading corrected »

Offline Tony G

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 05:10:38 PM »
Well I have been making some slow progress with the layout. I have finally got the front board wired to the control panel  :) Then this happened  :worried:

Damn critters!!

So with a little bit of hole filling I ended up with this

Also fitted some signals and wired them up and laid the last 2 sidings on the board

I have given the layout a good test run and now back to this

more WIRING!!   :doh:

Hopefully I will soon have the backboard fully wired to the control panel and back to TESTING again  ;D

Regards

Tony

Offline Tony G

• Awards
Re: Goathland - Multifunctional- 3 way point problem
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 03:00:52 PM »
All my wiring was going smoothly until the testing period.  This layout is Dcc and all my lights on the panel are controlled from the frogs on the layout. All the lights switched on the control panel as the points changed until I tested the 3 way points. Then it dawned on me the the frog juicer was powering the frogs on the 3 way point and wouldn't change until a train went through it. So I had a quick brew and a think. one option was to try and make a mimic board for the 3way so I could see which way it was routed, but I wouldn't really be happy with this method. Another option would be to use the switch contacts on my seep point motors. I felt my motor placement wouldn't be accurate enough for this method to reliable. Another idea was to use a micro-switch against the point tie bar or rod, but felt the switch may be to strong for the point to throw properly. Then while trawling through some railway modelling sites I came across the concept of using a latching relay. By using a twin-coil latching relay it can be wired just like a solenoid point motor and also use the same switch as the point motor.   :claphappy: I bought a couple to try on my 3way point using the relays to feed my frog from the red/black bus bar and hey presto problem solved  :laugh3:

Here are the links that got me on the right track, and could be used in many other purposes in model railways

http://modelrailmusings.weebly.com/point-motors-and-relays.html

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical%20page%202.html

I thought I may share this as it may just help somebody else out  :)

Regards

Tony
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:02:46 PM by Tony G »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal