!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Mk3 Intercity DVT  (Read 9776 times)

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Mk3 Intercity DVT
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 08:04:34 AM »
Playing devils advocate here,bremember that the DVTs were built in 1988 and would not have been an exact match to much of the mk3 stock of the day.

They were also built to the international Stock body profile, which also didn't match the older coaches.

Dapol always seem to struggle with 1980s liveries. The first run of the DVT was a very odd shade.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline Arrachogaidh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2015, 09:48:30 AM »
Mine has arrived. No colour comparisons yet, but there is a distinct lack of detailing parts...

Lovely instructions telling me how to fit the parts... just no parts...  :worried:

Mine were in a small bag sitting in the inlet in the foam insert. Contact your supplier.

Sadly the NWR DVT doesn't have the measuring equipment...... but the bag does contain disc brakes, chain and pipes.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 11:56:23 AM »
Playing devils advocate here,bremember that the DVTs were built in 1988 and would not have been an exact match to much of the mk3 stock of the day.

They were also built to the international Stock body profile, which also didn't match the older coaches.

Dapol always seem to struggle with 1980s liveries. The first run of the DVT was a very odd shade.
The DVT's were released in the same colours as the class 90's and coaching stock was painted to match eventually as it was reliveried from executive livery.
Upper bodyside should be Falcon grey and the beige part of the lower bodyside should be Executive light grey on the DVT.
The only differences between Executive and Swallow livery should be the upper bodyside, red stripe which was more orangey on later executive and Swallow livery and the lettering which was standard rail alphabet as per Blue/Grey but in black on Executive livery.
All I wanted was a matching rake of coaches! :'(
Cheers
Mark
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:57:43 AM by scruff »

Offline jivebunny

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 12:46:39 PM »

As has been said mutliple times, the DVTs were outshopped in Swallow livery. They therefore matched everything else that was in Swallow livery - 90s, 86s, 87s, 31s, 37s, 47s, that beast of an 89, the Mk4 sets and of course, the Mk3s. The same should therefore logically apply to a model representing it. I don't think there are any complaints about the body profile, it was indeed a different profile to the Mk3 and Dapol seem to have got that right. It's just getting the main colours right that they seem to struggle with.

Sadly the NWR DVT doesn't have the measuring equipment......

Another great model then. Maybe the next batch of buffer-fitted 43s won't actually have buffers, it's not as if they're a prominent feature...  :whistle:

JB

Offline Luke Piewalker

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 04:55:48 PM »
The Hattons chaps are lobbing them in the post...

Mine has arrived. No colour comparisons yet, but there is a distinct lack of detailing parts...

Lovely instructions telling me how to fit the parts... just no parts...  :worried:

Mine were in a small bag sitting in the inlet in the foam insert. Contact your supplier.

Sadly the NWR DVT doesn't have the measuring equipment...... but the bag does contain disc brakes, chain and pipes.

Offline dr deltic

• N Gauge Society Number: 8767
  • ONE LIFE SO LIVE IT!!
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2015, 06:59:12 PM »
Its a bit weary all this, how hard is it to get the colour right when you have already got it sorted for the coaches?
Lost in translation to Chinese yet again now doubt.

But at £41 now, sorry you can keep it.

I am no longer parting with hard earned brass for sub standard products.

Offline scruff

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2015, 07:05:49 PM »
I quite agree Dr Deltic...
Anyone for a coffee flavoured TGS??

Mark

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2015, 07:08:28 PM »
Its a bit weary all this, how hard is it to get the colour right when you have already got it sorted for the coaches?
Lost in translation to Chinese yet again now doubt.

But at £41 now, sorry you can keep it.

I am no longer parting with hard earned brass for sub standard products.

The thing is, there are other errors with this model - assuming that the re-runs are identical to the originals, the silver light surrounds are wrong for the IC version, the swallow has been inverted on one side. It's only the massive error of the livery colouring that's making folks not see the others.

I don't understand why these liveries seem so difficult for manufacturers to get right - in OO gauge Hornby didn't get the Exec HSTs right originally (too light as this is), in N Bachfar's interpretation of IC swallow on Mk3s and HST looked again a bit too light for the upper body colour.

Only Poole Farish seemed to get this right first time...

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline jivebunny

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
The thing is, there are other errors with this model - assuming that the re-runs are identical to the originals, the silver light surrounds are wrong for the IC version, the swallow has been inverted on one side. It's only the massive error of the livery colouring that's making folks not see the others.

Going by  the retailers' photos, the light surrounds seem to have been switched to black for this release.

On the old model the logo being upside down I could actually live with, as well as the horrible silver light surrounds which I don't think are prototypical for any Swallow DVT, but the entire thing being in the wrong colour is the error that takes the biscuit I think.

JB
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:58:30 PM by jivebunny »

Offline Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2015, 08:03:30 PM »
I'm so glad I model BR blue  :thumbsup:
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline jivebunny

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2015, 08:25:14 PM »
I'm so glad I model BR blue  :thumbsup:

...he said confidently, as the postman handed him a parcel containing his lovely new Mk3 TGS in BR green & grey.

:wave:

JB

Offline Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »
Saw a couple of the new issue IC DVTs at Glasgow Show today.
I can confirm that they ARE the same lighter shade as before.
Whether you buy or not is personal choice.

Yup, someone has posted a shot on the "other site" of a new DVT with a Mk3 and the colours do not seem to match.

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline jivebunny

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
I've edited my previous post re: retailers' photos as I had a bunch of tabs open and was looking at the photos of the old model on the Hatton's website. The Swallow logo on the new model is indeed the correct way around on both sides, and in the correct locations (neither of which it was on the old one), which makes it all the more of a shame that the colours are still wrong...

JB

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »

Helpful.

I hope Dapol have included a bag of detailing parts to glue onto the front end so that the model's not restricted to sitting outside Derby RTC awaiting its measuring equipment, or stock moves preceding its entry into service.

;)

JB

There was a bag of bits however as you surmised the model is representative of it sitting outside Derby RTC awaiting its measuring equipment, or stock moves preceding its entry into service.

Sadly no measuring equipment.

Opens up a niche market for some enterprising soul!!
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2015, 02:57:45 PM »
It was hardly likely that Dapol were going to re-tool the DVT to add in the grilles, roof vents or measuring equipment.

I'm debating whether it is worth drawing up a simple etch for the grilles, and the best method to produce the measuring equipment (I've got plenty of photos to work from).

Cheers, Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal