!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Introducing Revolution Trains  (Read 32469 times)

ScottyStitch

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Introducing Revolution Trains
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 09:11:57 AM »
Mike and Ben,

First of all, congratulations on forming Revolution Trains. I think this is a fantastic idea for N-gauge, both for the modellers and the manufacturers. I think both groups get something out of it. It's actually a breath of fresh air. I wish you all success. Even if the models you commision are not suitable for me (like the pendolino), I will be supporting your future projects (like I did with the Pendolino).

Also a vote of thanks for being so open about the intentions and mechanism of the company. I only hope that any sniping and criticisms of your selection process, and said mechanisms, as has been unfortunately apparant on the Project Pendo, can be kept to a minimum.

I'm not sure if it was your intention to solicit cases for future models here or not, but as others have already suggested models, and you have been gracious in your replies, I thought I'd bring up mine.

My holy grail for my layout would be the NBL Class 21/29. This is arguably the last production Type 2, of any note, that is still to be produced in N. Certainly for the Scottish Region, it is the missing piece of the jigsaw in terms of Diesel traction. Handsom devils, there are plenty resource images of them: http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p463703822

Despite a relatively short service life, these machines were to be seen all over Scotland, with the exception perhaps of the South east and extreme south west (although they were noted at Carlisle on occasion). They were shedded in Scotland at Kittybrewster (Aberdeen) and Eastfield (Glasgow). Among the more notable lines they worked were the GNSR lines to Banff, Fraserburgh, Peterhead, Lossiemouth, etc.; The Caledonian route through callander to Oban and on to Mallaig, the West Highland to Kyle of Lochalsh and their supposed flagship service, the 3-hour Glasgow/Aberdeen via the Strathmore Route.  In addition, an initial batch of 38 spent their first 2 or 3 years on the eastern region shedded at Stratford, Hornsey and Ipswich, from 1958 I believe

20 class 21s were selected in 1963-65 for re-engining, into Class 29s, but apart from small details, they remained largely identical outwardly to the earlier versions.

There are none in existence, however Dapol are producing one for OO, but there have been no announcements that I'm aware of to indicate that there will be an N version (at least anytime soon). Perhaps this could be a quick win for Revolution Trains since Dapol obviously have drawings already, maybe the initial cost to RT would be less and if you were able to provide funding for the shrink-ray and tooling, Dapol might be agreeable?

Ideally, as has been mentioned before, dummies would be made available, as due to reliability problems, they tended to run in pairs, particularly on the Glasgow-Aberdeen route. Again this ties in with Dapol as a potential partner (or DJM) who have a record of producing dummies.

A facebook group exists with many interesting discussions on details (Class 21/29 Appreciation Group) and operations, and there is a strong following on other forums such as : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47894-sad-eyed-people-the-class-21-and-29-livery-resource/

My understanding is that the much delayed OO version is eagerly awaited (if RMWeb is anything to go by), and one would imagine an N version, would be similarly well received. The proof of the pudding, however, is in the eating. Or in this case, the pledging.

If it were a project you were to take on, I would be in for four powered and two dummies.

Thanls for reading.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Hi Ben and Mike,

Congratulations on the launch of your Revolution, I hope it is a huge success. I am delighted to see that the Pendolino promises to be just the start of something larger.

I have a question about product suggestions. Do they need to be all-new models or would you be willing to consider comissioning reliveries of existing models? The reason I ask is that both Farish and Dapol have models in their ranges which have never been offered in all liveries worn by the prototype.

From Dapol, good examples are the B-sets, Autocoaches and Siphons. These are available in GWR liveries and in BR Maroon (Bachmann era-5). However Dapol has never produced examples of these models to suit the early crest period despite producing locos with the crest. B-sets, Siphons and Autocoaches were all painted in BR crimson in the early 50s and this would be a smart livery to produce.

From Farish, the forthcoming Hawksworth coaches are only being offered in BR liveries. Some (although on all diagrams) were introduced in GWR days and so wore chocolate and cream. I have lists of which ones are suitable and would love a small run of appropriate choc and cream hawksworths.

This seems to me like a promising avenue since it is not necessary to pay for tooling costs, just take deposits and commission a small run in a "missing" livery. This could potentially generate a return for Revolution faster and get products out to market quickly too.

Is this something you would consider?
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

ScottyStitch

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »

This seems to me like a promising avenue since it is not necessary to pay for tooling costs, just take deposits and commission a small run in a "missing" livery. This could potentially generate a return for Revolution faster and get products out to market quickly too.

Is this something you would consider?

Now that sounds like a good idea........

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2015, 09:33:18 AM »
Hello all,

Thanks for all the input so far.

John:  With the Pendolino we are offering ten different numbersets.  This is common in North America, and we want to introduce it as a "standard" to the market here.

Class 47s and 37s really are non-starters, as far as we are concerned, because the models already exist.  Also while dummy locos are a good idea in theory, in practice people don't seem to buy them.  However, with our funding model it may be we can test the market in this, though only for models we already have bodyshells for.

Scotty:  Thanks for your kind words. 

TBH I welcome constructive criticism here because then we can answer it.  And if the criticism is valid and we can learn from it.  Either way, everyone wins from open and fair debate.

I think you've "got" what we are all about with your well-argued and coherent case for the Class 21/29.  So my suggestion is this:  If you wish to sponsor this loco, and as an existing Revolution Trains customer you can, why not start a new thread or poll on here where people can register their interest and we can begin to get a feel for the interest in this loco?

cheers

Ben A.

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 09:36:06 AM »
Great Idea Congratulations Ben and Mike .
I think a great choice would be the GWR Steam Railmotor and trailer this would be easy to scan at Didcot ,plus they have all the drawings and know how needed for a very quick model to be produced there is a very small steam chassis in production although the valve gear is very basic so I know it's possible to make such a small motor unit.
A model of this would be worth an argument with Val about yet another Choo Choo as she jokingly calls all my Locos including the Poppylino.
Finally I wish Revolution Trains the very best of luck and success.
Bob

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2015, 09:36:34 AM »
Ben & Mike,

Good to see your company set up and I wish you every success.

I have been on the Revolution Trains site and signed up for the Newsletter.  I have tried the information buttons by the new classes but as yet there doesn't seem to be any content.

Certainly would be interested in Electrostars and Networks as per the Electrostar thread and would certainly row in behind any Southern EMU. 

If, per chance, those EMUs were a 465 Networker or 4EPB I would certainly be registering interest..

I know that you want to produce RTR models and that would be my first choice but I would also buy complete kits; body, motorised chassis, vinyls' if that is a useful option...

Good luck with your venture...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 09:39:52 AM »
Hi Matthew,

The short answer is yes because the heart of our idea is offering a platform for modellers to come together to get what THEY want, and are prepared to step forward for.  If you wish to sponsor such a product then feel free to do a little "sounding out" of modellers to see if others share your interest.

The actual product is almost irrelevant, though I think each product needs to be "self contained", which is why I do not envisage kit parts - eg clear coach bodyshells - being something we would do.

Having said that, I would urge all forum members not to get too carried away as getting to 1000 orders is not trivial, as we found with our Kickstarter!

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »

Hi Greybeema,

No, there are no other projects than the Pendolino right now.

We thought we ought to let everyone know about the project - it's pretty evident to those signing up for a Pendolino! - but we don't want to suggest anything else until we have something more tangible to show in terms of Pendolino progress.  Maybe once we have approved CAD artwork that people can see and assess for themselves we can move to our first new suggestion.

For practical purposes we want to keep our projects very focussed and relatively limited in number.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2015, 10:01:07 AM »
I think a great choice would be the GWR Steam Railmotor and trailer this would be easy to scan at Didcot
Plus this would also provide the basis for moer accurate early GWR auto-coach. The Dapol model is rather generic and the forthcoming Farish one is only suitable for the BR period.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2015, 10:01:33 AM »
What a fantastic project! I wish you every success.

Can I put my hand up for an LNER J15? Nearly 300 were built and they lasted for hundreds of years from pre-Grouping to the end of steam, and one is still running on the North Norfolk Railway. All you need to do is source a small enough motor... :D

I shall follow this one with interest.

Best wishes,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2015, 10:32:55 AM »
Mike and Ben,

My holy grail for my layout would be the NBL Class 21/29. This is arguably the last production Type 2, of any note, that is still to be produced in N. Certainly for the Scottish Region, it is the missing piece of the jigsaw in terms of Diesel traction. Handsom devils, there are plenty resource images of them: http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p463703822

I'm with Scotty on this. Although Worsley works do a scratch build aid, RTR would be really good.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2015, 10:42:57 AM »
As one who went for a Poppylino despite it being completely outside my modelled era (I just wanted the project to succeed) I'd like to think maybe us steam era fans might get a look in amongst all the 'modern image' stuff so would put forward the argument for a decent 8F 2-8-0. Let's face it, there were 776 built, thus making it the most numerous of classes, it came very high in our poll a couple of years ago, the Farish one is way too old and needs a re-tool, and there is at least one in existence for scanning purposes (48151 springs to mind).
I rest my case, m'lud

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2015, 10:49:35 AM »
Ben and Mike, before this turns into a wishlist (for which I am guilty too :sorrysign: ).

How would you like to receive submissions. Shall we brainstorm ideas here? Can you start a separate thread for wishlisting and then sift the froth for grains of gold? Or would you prefer ideas to come through some other channel (emails, PMs, link on the Revolution homepage).

I am sure lots of people have lots of ideas and it might be worth channelling them before the floodgates open wide.  :claphappy:

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2015, 10:52:43 AM »
A few more thoughts on a couple of points:

Dummy locos - the big problem (apart from sales) is that there is not a massive saving in tooling or production costs, yet my suspicion is that the market would expect dummy locos to be significantly cheaper. It is easier to do once tooling costs have been paid off.

21/29 - didn't Dapol announce one of them at one point (in 2mm and 4mm), but find that they had real difficulties finding any plans? It would certainly seem worth having a conversation with Dapol about where they have got to. Thanks for the info, I hadn't realised that the 21 and 29 were largely the same externally.

Cheers, Mike

ScottyStitch

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2015, 11:01:21 AM »
As one who went for a Poppylino despite it being completely outside my modelled era (I just wanted the project to succeed) I'd like to think maybe us steam era fans might get a look in amongst all the 'modern image' stuff so would put forward the argument for a decent 8F 2-8-0. Let's face it, there were 776 built, thus making it the most numerous of classes, it came very high in our poll a couple of years ago, the Farish one is way too old and needs a re-tool, and there is at least one in existence for scanning purposes (48151 springs to mind).
I rest my case, m'lud

Pretty flimsy, NN, I wouldn't like you as my defence lawyer, that's for sure!  :no:  :smiley-laughing:

I'm with you on the Steam front though, my second choice (loco-wise) would be a BR Standard 'Clan' Class. Never produced as far as I'm aware. Followed swiftly by the ubiquitous (in Scotland at least), improved to modern standards, V2 (maybe too soon since the last issue?)

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal