!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Introducing Revolution Trains  (Read 32406 times)

Offline Geoff

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Introducing Revolution Trains
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 10:31:52 PM »
First of all I think this is a good idea, 1 What kind of warranty will there be with any of the Loco's manufactured, 2 What companies are going to manufacture these Locomotives, 3 Is this project only for Locomotives or will it be open for Wagons Tankers and Coaches ETC.

And just one more point is that will it interfere with any thing that the N Gauge Society has planned, because I heard members having an interest in the NGS  commissioning a Locomotive.
Geoff

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 10:34:09 PM »
Thanks Mike - I thought you would say that. ;-)

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Online Rabbitaway

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 10:35:27 PM »
Hi Ben

Thanks for the reply

There may be a market for something a little different that costs around 100 as modellers may buy even if they are not modelling the LNER period. A lot of people bought the Hornby and the Farish Pullmans as they were just nice models. The steam car could fit into this market particularly if you are spending a smaller sum than the Pullmans. They would look good in green and cream!

There are a lot of similar models being produced - is the market getting board with these?

As it is a single car a smaller mechanism could be used to allow the internals to be modelled

There are some photos available but no idea if drawings are about

:thankyousign:

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 10:45:14 PM »
First of all I think this is a good idea, 1 What kind of warranty will there be with any of the Loco's manufactured, 2 What companies are going to manufacture these Locomotives, 3 Is this project only for Locomotives or will it be open for Wagons Tankers and Coaches ETC.

And just one more point is that will it interfere with any thing that the N Gauge Society has planned, because I heard members having an interest in the NGS  commissioning a Locomotive.

Hi Geoff

1. Warranty will depend on the manufacturer, but almost without exception the standard manufacturer's warranty is 1 year.
2. As Ben said we will work with the most appropriate manufacturer for each project.  We are not tied to a particular manufacturer, but we will want to be assured of good quality whichever manufacturer we use.
3. We've both answered that, but for the avoidance of doubt - no, we will not restrict projects to locos.

Although both Ben and I volunteer for the NGS on product development we must be clear that Revolution Trains is nothing to do with the NGS and has no impact on the NGS. 

Cheers, Mike

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 10:53:56 PM »
Hi Mike, Ben

All I can really say is I cant wait to see how things go and hopefully its all systems go for the future!
Plus I am sure I am not the only one who is eager to see what the next model proposed will be! Although my wallet may be dieting in the near future!  ;)

Gareth

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 11:10:01 PM »
Hi, Mike & Ben, what a fantastic concept love the idea.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 11:11:41 PM »
Great idea, love the concept. Count on my support for any model of interest!!

Can't wait to see the first proposed models...

Online keithfre

• N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 11:13:57 PM »
Looks good!

Can I put in a vote for an Adams Radial tank?

Online Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 11:29:46 PM »
Looks good!

Can I put in a vote for an Adams Radial tank?

Hi Keith,

I've heard the name but that's about all I know of these locos.

As to a vote - if you want to sponsor it then make a case for it, as I suggested re the LNER railcar.

Or you could wait to see if someone else suggests it, and it gets adopted, and then you could Declare your interest.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 11:53:52 PM »
Ben's points about making a case for a project and about the more research material you can bring for a project are important ones.

The more you have thought things through the easier a project will be and the more likely it is to be adopted.  You don't have to have all the answers (we might be able to help with some aspects) but the more you put together a case for a model the easier it will be for us to take it on as a potential project.

Cheers, Mike

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 12:02:01 AM »
Tying in with another thread, I do seriously believe an Electrostar may be worth gauging interest with the wider modelling community. It does not have the glamour of the Pendolino, but could still be a popular choice. I'm not sure if I could sponsor one (I'd certainly get a vouple!), but would be keen to assist in any way I could.

Second suggestion (discussed between a couple of us on the train). Perhaps plain (or rather clear) carriage bodies, both dummy and motorised, to suit etched bodyside kits and transfers (e.g. Electra Railway Graphics)? I have seen this in T gauge...I wonder if it would work in N?

Online Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 12:12:55 AM »

Hi Claude,

Yes, the Electrostar thread has already made something of a case for this.

As for the clear shells, I think right now we are focussing on RTR items we can work on, rather than aids to kit building.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline UPINSMOKE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25171
  • Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 12:35:44 AM »
Tying in with another thread, I do seriously believe an Electrostar may be worth gauging interest with the wider modelling community. It does not have the glamour of the Pendolino, but could still be a popular choice. I'm not sure if I could sponsor one (I'd certainly get a vouple!), but would be keen to assist in any way I could.

I would certainly go for one of these. Would also like to suggest  any other Southern Region Engines or rolling stock seems limited in N gauge compared to other regions.
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

Offline Trainfish

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 01:53:48 AM »
Hi Tony

1000 is typically the minimum number of mouldings that we would be looking at to make the tooling costs economical (ie the split of costs  across the models). That 1000 can be split into quite a few liveries - 4 easily and possibly more if necessary.

We definitely don't want to focus solely on locos.

Cheers, Mike

Mike, I have always had 2 main issues with models produced by the 'big boys' and that is the distinct lack of or long wait for different running numbers in a particular livery and also the supply of dummy locomotives. On a personal note I model BR blue but I am restricted in what is out there. Ok so there are a few different class 47's available but when you consider how many were built in 1:1 scale and the number you would see 'on shed' in the early 1980's there are nowhere near enough. Also, for example dummy class 20's. The class 20's ran in pairs 99% of the time yet to my knowledge there isn't a dummy version available RTR. Class 33 would be another where a dummy would be a nice addition. 25's were often paired up too. The same with 37's.

So, in case you haven't already worked it out, my question to you is that with your comment regarding 1000 models from a mould, would you be able to produce both different numbered locos and a few dummy locos too? I am absolutely sure you would hit your targets with the examples above although I do appreciate what you say regarding Dapol and Farish already producing these. Just imagine, a mould produces 1000 class 37's in BR blue of which 600 are motorised and 400 are not. 5 different numbers within the 1000 and I amongst others would probably order 1 of each.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Ps, well done with the Pendolino. I said from the beginning it wasn't for me requiring OHLE and I'm sure I wasn't alone in that. Just imagine though, all the classes I mentioned above would run either under OHLE or without  :thumbsup:
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Online Karhedron

• N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 09:06:53 AM »
Would also like to suggest  any other Southern Region Engines or rolling stock seems limited in N gauge compared to other regions.
To be fair, part of that is because so much has been announced that is currently in development. Dapol's Maunsell coaches have just started arriving after much waiting. The Merchant Navy and Mogul are on their way from Farish. Dapol are working on the Schools and light pacifics.

Having said that, an O2 might be nice....  :hmmm:
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal