Interesting facts

Started by austinbob, February 03, 2015, 05:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Why are zero scores in tennis called 'love'?

BECAUSE:
In France ,where tennis became popular, the zero on the scoreboard was oval and looked like an egg. French for 'the egg' is l'oeuf.

When tennis was introduced in the US, Americans (mis)pronounced it 'love.'
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

BobB

A miss world contestant thanked me for the drink I bought her, but never saw her drink it - might have smudged her lipstick I suppose.

How did Mr Caine get into this thread. Does he like trains, does he ever travel on them and if he has a layout is it in N ?

Agrippa

Mr Caine does indeed travel on trains in "The eagle has landed " and " The man who would be king".

Here's another interesting fact :-

St Mirren is the only football club to have fired Sir Alex Ferguson.

Not a lot of people know that..............

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

ScottyStitch

Quote from: Agrippa on February 04, 2015, 07:05:48 PM
Mr Caine does indeed travel on trains in "The eagle has landed " and " The man who would be king".

Here's another interesting fact :-

St Mirren is the only football club to have fired Sir Alex Ferguson.

Not a lot of people know that..............

And slightly related, Arsenal is the only football club in England to have a train station named specifically after them.

Geoff

So thats why the wife pushes all my buttons  :-[
Geoff

Agrippa

And St John's Wood is the only London tube station which does not contain any
of the letters in the word "mackerel".

austinbob

Why do X's at the end of a letter signify kisses?

BECAUSE:

In the Middle Ages, when many people were unable to read or write, documents were often signed using an X.  The person signing the document would then kiss the X, thereby representing an oath to fulfill obligations specified in the document.   The X and the kiss eventually became synonymous.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Why is shifting responsibility to someone else called 'passing the buck'?

BECAUSE:

In card games, it was once customary to pass an item, called a buck, from player to player to indicate whose turn it was to deal.  If a player did not wish to assume the responsibility of dealing, he would 'pass the buck' to the next player.
:sleep:

Bob Austin

austinbob

Why are many coin collection jar banks shaped like pigs?

BECAUSE:

Long ago, dishes and cookware in Europe were made of a dense orange clay called 'pygg'.
When people saved coins in jars made of this clay, the jars became known as 'pygg banks.' 
When an English potter misunderstood the word, he made a container that resembled a pig.

Hence the birth of the piggy bank.
:D

Bob Austin

Agrippa

A few weeks ago scientists from Glasgow and Edinburgh reduced the speed of light
in a lab experiment.

(don't ask me to explain it)

austinbob

Quote from: Agrippa on February 07, 2015, 05:44:42 PM
A few weeks ago scientists from Glasgow and Edinburgh reduced the speed of light
in a lab experiment.

(don't ask me to explain it)
Its probably because they were using low energy light bulbs which, as we all know, take ages to light up!!
:D

Bob Austin

MikeDunn

Quote from: Agrippa on February 07, 2015, 05:44:42 PM
in a lab experiment.
What they did was quite clever ... but not the first time it's been done.

However, it must be understood that the speed of light is not static ... it depends on what the photon is travelling through.  For example, the slowest that light has been recorded is (I believe) 17 metres/second ... ... although a photon has been stopped & restarted later ...

acko22

I can stop and start light too, in fact all of us can!!

Flick the switch on and We have started light! TO stop it simply flick the switch the other way!!

:laugh3:
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

austinbob

Quote from: acko22 on February 09, 2015, 12:39:38 AM
I can stop and start light too, in fact all of us can!!

Flick the switch on and We have started light! TO stop it simply flick the switch the other way!!

:laugh3:
Or, alternatively, don't pay your electricity bill! :laughabovepost:

Bob Austin

MikeDunn

::)

There's always one ... ... or two in this case  :P

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations