!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Oh my god it's full of track  (Read 20889 times)

Online railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Re: Oh my god it's full of track
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 12:12:11 AM »
How do you plan something like that?  :admiration:  :goggleeyes:
I have enough trouble trying to plan a single-track branch line!

Actually I think those kinds of layouts are fairly simple to plan (construction is a different matter), as they're not really taking into account operations beyond running trains round and round, or scenery beyond fitting something in in whatever space is left, and are certainly not constrained by ambitions to model something approaching a real-world prototype. Not that I'm doing the latter myself, and I certainly tend to err on the side of "more track", though I still have faint hope of fitting the trains into the scenery rather than vice-versa.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

ScottyStitch

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 07:21:08 AM »
Very clever but not my scene, I prefer less track more scenery , But each to their own.
Bob

Not mine either but is just the sort of thing that would appeal to a very young, first time modeller.

I'm going to be a Grandfather to twins shortly and I'm hoping one of them is a boy which would give me an excuse to build something like this for him.

Even if it's a girl, you should build something like that anyway. Our hobbie is by no means gender specific, and neitehr it should be  :thumbsup:

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »
I agree the hobby isn't gender specific We have some really good female Modelers on this forum and I know several other girls as well that model in the other scales.
Bob

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 08:44:03 AM »

Actually I think those kinds of layouts are fairly simple to plan (construction is a different matter), as they're not really taking into account operations beyond running trains round and round, or scenery beyond fitting something in in whatever space is left, and are certainly not constrained by ambitions to model something approaching a real-world prototype.
:sorrysign:  I should have said that planning for me involves trying to work out how to avoid my goods yards' point motors and wiring fouling the fiddle yards and reversing loops beneath, while allowing the prototype's river and road bridge to run below the platforms while keeping all the gradients at 3% or less... and I'm so mean that I want to be sure it will  work before putting a saw on a bit of wood! :headbutt:
 :beers: David
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 09:13:02 AM »

Actually I think those kinds of layouts are fairly simple to plan (construction is a different matter), as they're not really taking into account operations beyond running trains round and round, or scenery beyond fitting something in in whatever space is left, and are certainly not constrained by ambitions to model something approaching a real-world prototype.
:sorrysign:  I should have said that planning for me involves trying to work out how to avoid my goods yards' point motors and wiring fouling the fiddle yards and reversing loops beneath, while allowing the prototype's river and road bridge to run below the platforms while keeping all the gradients at 3% or less... and I'm so mean that I want to be sure it will  work before putting a saw on a bit of wood! :headbutt:
 :beers: David

Yup, that's what I'm trying to convey...  I reckon your planning process is actually much harder even with less track.  Best of luck! :beers: (says the squid with plans and nary a piece of fixed track...)

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 09:32:47 AM »
Very envious :envy: Would love a layout like that. Particularly like the modern station with the ICE trains  :thumbsup:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »
Having just had a look at these videos, I shall venture comment.

Aye, they're both basically convoluted roundy roundy display kayouts. Great for entertaininhg people at shows, but little operating potential.

I have always admired the American concept of building a model railway (railroad) and operating it to prototype practice. Mind you, they have huge basements with plenty of room to build massive snaking peninsula type shelf layouts.

However, as I harp on so much about here, it is possible in the UK, as the classic 4mm layouts Buckingham and Borchester Market testify. Thankfully, both preserved.

George  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 10:58:03 AM »
Very clever, but not really my cup of tea...

What I want to know is, how do you actually get to the castle? With that moat above, I would imagine the tunnel is permanently leaking. (Picky, picky, picky!)

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 12:36:39 PM »
The layout's just a bit of (very expensive) fun so no grouchiness permitted ... :D
Ideal for running a 14xx and autocoach or a shunter's wagon

How about a grouch button?  :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 12:41:29 PM »
I think the first layout shown is excellent and must have taken ages to work out all the twists and turns.  Great to run four trains and just sit and me mesmerised as they trundle round and round.  I can imagine the second one is going to take some time to get anywhere near finished, but another piece of great track planning in my eyes  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Offline Tom U

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 12:55:17 PM »
Am I the only one who sees the sneaky misquote of Arthur Clarke's 2001?  When dave(?) sees "into" the obelisk?
I am in Sri Lanka at the moment (working) and am hoping to squeeze a day off to take the train from Colombo to Kandy and hope to sight Arthur's house.
If I got this all wrong, and my 2001 is right off topic, then please delete the post and blame it on the local Lion beer  :)

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 01:00:42 PM »
Am I the only one who sees the sneaky misquote of Arthur Clarke's 2001?  When dave(?) sees "into" the obelisk?
Give this man a beer :) :beers:

Offline Sipat

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 01:04:35 PM »
I'll see it and I'll raise you my 'Essence of New Street' layout...

http://youtu.be/JDn4aMORhPE

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 01:34:21 PM »
Nah, you've got way too much empty space and not enough inclines and tunnels and track looping back on itself in inscrutable ways ;)

Seriously, the layouts I linked are impressive in their own way, not everyone's cup of tea
but fascinating to look at.

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 02:39:28 PM »
What I want to know is, how do you actually get to the castle?
Chris
The macabre figure face down in the moat obviously had the same problem.  Why aren't the two men trying to pull her out?
David
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal