New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: TREMIERTEN - A Cornish Branch Line  (Read 17174 times)

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
TREMIERTEN - A Cornish Branch Line
« on: January 28, 2015, 02:18:03 AM »
After I took early retirement after 40 year’s service, I thought that my retirement present to myself would be a small portable layout capable of being shown at exhibitions, and as luck would have it, one came up on ebay, part built, but most importantly the scenery was complete, as I can build buildings, loco’s coaches and wagons, but have to admit that so far, my attempts at scenery look too much like “train set” so this was an ideal opportunity to take a bit of a shortcut, and so Tremierten (an anagram of Retirement!) was duly born.

The first job was to carefully remove some of the existing structures to be used elsewhere, either on this layout, or my other one(as yet still unnamed after 10 years!)  and replace them with those that gave the layout the Great western look that I wanted

Having roughly sited the new buildings I now have to complete the wiring, which was only in its most basic stage, which allowed me to run trains to see how the modifications I had made would work in the future (my excuse and I am sticking to it!) the next phase is to complete the electrics before revisiting the scenic side.
In the meantime, maybe Chris in Prague can find me a suitable inland location in Cornwall for Tremierten.

Regards,

Alex

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:20:34 AM by Hailstone »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: TREMIERTEN - A Cornish Branch Line
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 06:49:52 AM »
Really good to see yet another Cornish layout on here.
I'm sure that Chris can come up with a suitable location. Much will depend on whether you are going for GW or LSWR and what sort of train formations you will want to run.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:56:01 AM »
Nice simple little layout, Alex :thumbsup:
Well done on getting an anagram of 'retirement' that actually sounds Cornish.

Offline glenng

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 10:23:21 AM »
 :hellosign: Lovely little layout, Alex any chance of a look at the bridge end of the layout.

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 02:40:41 PM »
Thank you for the kind comments guys, I have been rewiring Tremierten as I felt that the existing job could be improved, and the point and uncoupling solenoid wiring had not been started and the picture below show how far I got having finally started work after procrastinating about it since before Christmas! however, the guests have all gone home now so there was no excuse not to get started, apart from the arctic conditions in the loft, but Mrs Hailstone bless her, suggested I should bring it downstairs, so I am working in the comfort of the study/spare room.

:hellosign: Lovely little layout, Alex any chance of a look at the bridge end of the layout.

I hope these will help glenng - the sides are definitely peco, but the abutments and central supporting pier look ready made, but I have no idea by who.

Regards,

Alex

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:56:36 PM »
A very nice base to work from. What an understanding and compassionate wife you have. :D
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline cjdodd

• Owner of Colworth Hill and Billybrook Yard
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »
i really like the little stream down the side of the road.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 10:26:05 PM »
I agree with Martin (Port Perran and Trepol Bay), always good to see another Cornish layout. It is already a nice looking layout with most of the scenic work done. (However, the cottage needs more work doing as the garden is not complete. I recommend you study Descanso Farm for some great inspiration there.) BTW, the new photo backscenes are a BIG improvement over the old Peco Scottish ones!

The new GWR buildings look good.

I'm guessing that it is located at the end of a minor branchline somewhere in West Cornwall, maybe near Port Perran, which is near Newquay? (I still have to complete the full map of railways in Cornwall in our alternative universe, c. 1962, so, after I put everything away, next week, ready to return to work, I will turn to completing that map. One possibility is a branchline from St. Columb Road -- on the Newquay to Par line -- to St. Columb Major?)

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 01:14:17 AM »
I have just finished wiring in the point motors and placed an uncoupling solenoid and will experiment over the next few days to see if I can make the existing Arnold type couplings work remotely as I have seen on a layout operated by the east surrey group of the NGS - time will tell.
Due to the short loco release road only tank engines and a maximum of class 22 diesel can work the branch, which will be ex GW types, although there is nothing to stop the occasional M7 or Terrier appearing (don't forget rule 1!).
the buildings all need to be placed properly into the landscape, and this will take a while yet. I am afraid that I am an inveterate operator, and I don't let unfinished scenery get in the way of a good operating session!

Regards,

Alex     

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 07:16:59 AM »
I have just finished wiring in the point motors and placed an uncoupling solenoid and will experiment over the next few days to see if I can make the existing Arnold type couplings work remotely as I have seen on a layout operated by the east surrey group of the NGS - time will tell.
Due to the short loco release road only tank engines and a maximum of class 22 diesel can work the branch, which will be ex GW types, although there is nothing to stop the occasional M7 or Terrier appearing (don't forget rule 1!).
the buildings all need to be placed properly into the landscape, and this will take a while yet. I am afraid that I am an inveterate operator, and I don't let unfinished scenery get in the way of a good operating session!

Regards,

Alex   
Perfectly acceptable to do some running whilst the scenery is still to be built - after all you need to test clearances (that can be your excuse!).
I think Chris' suggestion for location is a fair one. I will be applying Rule 1 to an extent running SR trains from Wadebridge to Trepol Bay (which is a LSWR station) and on to Port Perran which is GW. This will see SR locos deep into WR territory.
M7s and Terriers didn't work into Cornwall although I have an M7 (as not O2s are available) so I invoke Rule 1. I also have a Q1 which definitely didn't venture this far west.
Good luck with the building of your scenery.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 08:29:52 AM »
" . . . only tank engines and a maximum of class 22 diesel can work the branch, which will be ex-GW types, although there is nothing to stop the occasional M7 or Terrier appearing (don't forget rule 1!)." Many minor Cornish branchlines saw nothing larger than a 45XX / 4575 or D63XX (Class 22). In the current absence of an O2, a M7 is a reasonable substitute (and worked SR branches further east). However, personally, I draw the line at Terriers (although the GWR inherited at least one on the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead line). However, Rule One is definitely up to individual interpretation! (I have a D95XX Class 14, as does Martin and Jon (Weaver Cove) and they never ventured beyond Westbury!) I do hope that an N Gauge 02 does become available although they disappeared from Cornwall in the very early 1960s. I won't be buying a M7 nor any other SR loco. which did not run in Cornwall; not least because I already have a very large collection of locos. still awaiting DCC fitting!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
" . . . only tank engines and a maximum of class 22 diesel can work the branch, which will be ex-GW types, although there is nothing to stop the occasional M7 or Terrier appearing (don't forget rule 1!)." Many minor Cornish branchlines saw nothing larger than a 45XX / 4575 or D63XX (Class 22). In the current absence of an O2, a M7 is a reasonable substitute (and worked SR branches further east). However, personally, I draw the line at Terriers (although the GWR inherited at least one on the Weston, Clevedon & Portishead line). However, Rule One is definitely up to individual interpretation! (I have a D95XX Class 14, as does Martin and Jon (Weaver Cove) and they never ventured beyond Westbury!) I do hope that an N Gauge 02 does become available although they disappeared from Cornwall in the very early 1960s. I won't be buying a M7 nor any other SR loco. which did not run in Cornwall; not least because I already have a very large collection of locos. still awaiting DCC fitting!
I'm not sure that M7s didn't run in Cornwall at all. One of my books refers to M7s tried ion the N Cornwall line prior to the introduction of O2s but it would have been way back and I have never seen a photo to prove it.

Offline Ensign Elliott

• Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 11:54:57 AM »
Nice looking layout

Offline Hailstone

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 12:44:28 PM »
Almost all of the wiring is now complete, 1 of the uncoupling magnets is installed in one of the pre prepared places ready for me to experiment with the metal attachments to the existing Arnold couplings - but in the meantime, I think I'll just have a little play.....

Regards,

Alex

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 12:55:54 PM »
That 14XX and autocoach looks very much at home.
Enjoy your play  running.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here