!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 2015 Railway Modeller Annual, By Multiple Authors, Editor Steve Flint Review  (Read 1303 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
2015 Railway Modeller Annual, By Multiple Authors, Editor Steve Flint

Book Review: Not so much a book as a magazine....

This is the 5th annual from the publishers of the venerable and long-running magazine Railway Modeller. While I knew that it was not going to be exclusively N gauge, I automatically bought it for two reasons.... firstly, I have the other four, and secondly, the idea of having an "annual" at this time of year sorta takes me back to the days when I would receive a "Beezer" or "Eagle" annual every Christmas!!

Anyway, I was slightly disappointed by the fact that the only N gauge layout in it was a small diorama - and I've got to be careful here, as I'm not sure if the builder and author, Shaun Gates, is an NGF member or not! If you are, Shaun, please feel free to send me a PM and say hello!!

However, there can be no doubt that is is a masterful piece of work, small though it is. A winter snow scene, for one thing, with full lighting effects. It won the NGS AMMC for best diorama 2012, and rightfully so.

The rest of the publication concerns itself with some substantial 0 gauge articles, although there are some interesting asides such as The Great Central, Colonel Stephens, the Tralee & Dingle, and a history of Parkside Dundas. Although the said firm does not produce much in the way of N scale, it is nonetheless interesting.

The annual has a theme, each year, and in 2015 it is MPDs, both steam and diesel. All very relevant to British modellers whatever the scale.

A Z gauge British layout is featured, which of course is a bit of a rarity on the British Railway modelling scene.

The annual has it's review of the year as in previous issues, showcasing the important new products over the last twelve months.

Final verdict? Would have liked to have seen a bit more N content, but hey, I knew what I was buying.

ISBN: 2045-3264

Score: 4
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:11:59 AM by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
I particularly enjoyed the article by former editor John Brewer about his life and times around railways and model railways. Sadly John passed away earlier this month.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Online Bealman

• Awards
Really?! That man was a gentleman and scholar of the British Railway scene and a professional.

I am deeply saddened by this news.

George
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:34:26 AM by Bealman »

Online Bealman

• Awards
This has really floored me as I was totally unaware. The man was my hero for his 30 year stint.

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
http://www.pecopublications.co.uk/john-brewer-1943-2015.html

has an obituary on the Peco Publications site.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Online Bealman

• Awards
Sad news. John Brewer was a great fan of narrow gauge but also  produced a couple of outstanding broad gauge layouts.

As longstanding editor of RM, it was he who received my first ever article in the early 1990s, and not only published it, but actively encouraged me to continue, culminating in a half dozen or so articles.

l am forever indebted to the man.

RIP, JB.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal