!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Would You Buy a Crowd Funded Electrostar 377/2 in N Gauge?

No
Yes, at least 1
Yes at least 2
Yes, more than 2
Yes Depending on Liveries proposed

Author Topic: Suggestion for RevolutioN - Electrostar 377/2  (Read 26246 times)

Offline BudgieJane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24726
    • Awards
Suggestion for RevolutioN - Electrostar 377/2
« on: January 16, 2015, 02:18:15 PM »
Class 387 Electrostars have started working to Beckenham Junction (one of my local stations). So that's even more reasons for the manufacturers to make models of Electrostars.
Best wishes

Jane

ScottyStitch

Re: Electrostars
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 02:36:43 PM »
Sadly, Jane, I suspect it isn't as simple as that....... :no:

Online red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 03:10:12 PM »
I'd love a model of an Electrostar, the problem with them from a manufacturing point of view is which variant to do?

Cheers, Mike

Offline BudgieJane

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 11:01:37 PM »
Well, you start off with the version that is most common, i.e. not 377/6 or 377/7
Best wishes

Jane

Offline Richey1977

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 07:03:11 AM »
I'm just up the road in Dartford, and I'd also like an Electrostar variant or a 465/466. Doubt it'll happen though.

I do intend to get the 171 in Southern Railway colours though, although I haven't read my reviews.

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 08:11:30 AM »
Richie,

Hopefully there will be a kit of the 465/466 Networker coming out soon.  Someone on this site was working in it. 

In the meantime if you take a look at my rather old Northfleet thread below you might see one thing to remind you of them...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Online red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 11:15:24 AM »
Sorry, my question could have been more direct - which variant is likely to be the most popular (that probably means as much geographical coverage and livery options as possible)?
Secondly is there a market for 1000 of them?

I don't know enough detail about the Electrostars at the moment to answer those questions.

Cheers, Mike

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 11:43:34 AM »
Not sure what the market for EMUs really is.  Did GF reach their sales objectives for the4CEP & Desiro?

I have given up on a RTR EMU for my specific location of North Kent.  The primary unit there is the 465/466 Networker with 376 Electostar operating inner suburban services.  Hornby tried a 466 but I don't think it sold well - probably indicating to the manufacturers that this is not the way to go.

At this stage what I would like is a complete kit inc chassis, coach bodies etc.  My 465 Networker (see link) was made from 3D printed Cabs, farish MKIIs, GF class 150 and vinyls.  Good project but a pain in the a&e to gather all the parts.

So given the generally limited cross regional spread for specific types of of EMU - I am not sure how easy it would be to produce a commercially viable RTR Electrostar but maybe in kit form?
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 12:17:06 PM »
From some of the feedback I have seen on here and the ERG Facebook page, I do believe that an Electrostar would work in N (and also 4mm but that's a different matter). Using the original 375 / 377 design with ribbon glazing, you could cover pretty much the entire Southern Region along with services via the MML and WCML to Rugby / MK / Bedford.

There are numerous livery and sub-class variations, so choosing the correct initial prototypes will take care but with two basic bodyshells (three if you count the pantograph well on the roof), tooling costs shouldn't be as high as, say, the Blue Pullman or Pendolino. Just a shame that it lacks the "sexy" factor...

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline edwin_m

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »
The largest differences between Electrostars are the original 357 on the Tilbury line which has no end gangways, and the 376 and 378 which have inset sliding doors and no end gangways (but end doors in the case of the 378).  All the others are pretty similar, the main difference being the change from ribbon glazing to separate windows which could be modelled by a plastic insert or even with vinyls.  There are also some differences in light clusters. 

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 06:53:25 PM »
The largest differences between Electrostars are the original 357 on the Tilbury line which has no end gangways, and the 376 and 378 which have inset sliding doors and no end gangways (but end doors in the case of the 378).  All the others are pretty similar, the main difference being the change from ribbon glazing to separate windows which could be modelled by a plastic insert or even with vinyls.  There are also some differences in light clusters. 

As a further elaboration to the above....

Southern

377/1

377101-139 have smaller front light clusters. These are the only 4-car Southern units with these types of lights; although the 28-strong 3-car class 377/3s have the same design.

377140 - 164 have larger light clusters, with black surrounds. This design also covers the dual-voltage 377/2s and the class 377/4s. The 377/5s are the same design as the 377/4s, only a different livery.

The 377/6 and 377/7 classes are both 5-car and have the individual windows, as opposed to the ribbon design. They have the similar design windows to the class 387 Thameslink and 379 Greater Anglia trains.

South Eastern

The following sub-classes have the same light cluster design as 377101-139.

375/6 - dual-voltage unit
375/7

375/8 and 377/9 have the same design headlight clusters as the 377/4, but with yellow surrounds instead of black.

The 375/3 is identical to the 377/3 (part from the livery of course!) as they were originally the same class, Southern receiving 28 of this class.

For what it is worth, an ideal start point would be the 377/4 and/or 375/8, both the largest sub-classes in their respective fleets and externally of a similar design. The 377/2 (virtually identical but with pantographs fitted) seems to have spread its wings over recent years, and can be seen anywhere on the Southern network.

Certainly I would love to see the Electrostar produced in N Gauge (ideally the Southern 377)...where do I sign up?!  :D ;)

Offline edwin_m

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »
Do the ones with the later window design have the same light clusters as the second photo?  From a quick look at photos I think they do, although they also have a light in the front underskirt which I think is to illuminate the track.  It looks to me as if the later light clusters swappable window strips and front skirts and removeable shoes and pan would cover a good range of classes running on the WCML and West Anglia as well as south of London. 

Also worth noting for completeness that the 375s were supplied with Tightlock couplers but I believe have now been converted to Dellner as fitted to the 377s from new (?).  Easily handled in model form by swappable dummies that plug into the NEM socket - this detail would be lost for anyone needing working couplers. 

Offline BudgieJane

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 09:33:40 PM »
Hornby tried a 466 but I don't think it sold well - probably indicating to the manufacturers that this is not the way to go.

Since the 466 is mainly used as a strengthener for trains made of 465s (yes, I know there are a couple of places where they run on their own), I'd have thought Hornby would have sold more 465s than they did 466s, even though manufacturers seem to prefer shorter units in OO. I would think 465s would sell well in N.
Best wishes

Jane

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
Do the ones with the later window design have the same light clusters as the second photo?  From a quick look at photos I think they do, although they also have a light in the front underskirt which I think is to illuminate the track.  It looks to me as if the later light clusters swappable window strips and front skirts and removeable shoes and pan would cover a good range of classes running on the WCML and West Anglia as well as south of London. 

Yes, they have the same light clusters...

I also forgot about the light on the front skirt; however this looks only to operate when the train is moving

By the looks of things, the basic body design for the later units, 377/6, 377/7, 379 and 387 look essentially the same (including the light on the front skirt).

Also worth noting for completeness that the 375s were supplied with Tightlock couplers but I believe have now been converted to Dellner as fitted to the 377s from new (?).  Easily handled in model form by swappable dummies that plug into the NEM socket - this detail would be lost for anyone needing working couplers. 

The 377s had their couplings converted shortly after transfer...they ran as class 375s initially until the conversion. Some of the nice Kato Scharfenberg-type couplings would do the trick; but they aren't easy to uncouple...

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 09:49:03 PM »
Sorry, my question could have been more direct - which variant is likely to be the most popular (that probably means as much geographical coverage and livery options as possible)?
Secondly is there a market for 1000 of them?

I don't know enough detail about the Electrostars at the moment to answer those questions.

Cheers, Mike

Well, they more often than not run as 8 or 12 carriage sets, so most people who are interested would go for more than one. Based on the current Pendolino numbers (440 separate pledges at the time of writing, at least 880 could be potentially be achieved). My suggestion would slightly later designed headlights with the ribbon glazing, i.e. the class 377/4.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:52:36 PM by Claude Dreyfus »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal