!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Would You Buy a Crowd Funded Electrostar 377/2 in N Gauge?

No
Yes, at least 1
Yes at least 2
Yes, more than 2
Yes Depending on Liveries proposed

Author Topic: Suggestion for RevolutioN - Electrostar 377/2  (Read 25760 times)

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
Re: Electrostars
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2015, 02:00:12 PM »
I think the same price mark as the Farish Desiro is a good target to aim for. If you can offer dummies too (and the powered version has enough Oomph to haul them), that would be a bonus. Not sure how much a dummy would save in a 4-car rake though.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline PaulCheffus

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2015, 02:26:02 PM »
I agree with Claude and put it between 100 and 150 - ideally around 120. The cheaper it is the more likely people will buy multiples.

Hi

I think you need to be realistic. I would agree with the comment above that 160 would be about right the same as the Desiro.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

ScottyStitch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2015, 02:29:58 PM »
I agree with Claude and put it between 100 and 150 - ideally around 120. The cheaper it is the more likely people will buy multiples.

Hi

I think you need to be realistic. I would agree with the comment above that 160 would be about right the same as the Desiro.

Cheers

Paul

Agreed. I'd expect a similar price to a similar product in the market place.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2015, 03:02:52 PM »
Scotty's last point about similar price point to similar products in the marketplace is a very interesting one.

Here is an alternative thought - would people be prepared to pay a premium to get models produced that are less appealing or too risky for the mainstream manufacturers?

The reason I ask is that tooling costs split over 3000 units vs 1000 units can dramatically influence the retail price. 

Cheers, Mike

ScottyStitch

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2015, 03:28:56 PM »
Scotty's last point about similar price point to similar products in the marketplace is a very interesting one.

Here is an alternative thought - would people be prepared to pay a premium to get models produced that are less appealing or too risky for the mainstream manufacturers?

The reason I ask is that tooling costs split over 3000 units vs 1000 units can dramatically influence the retail price. 

Cheers, Mike

Hi Mike

Just for clarity, my comment on like for like pricing was intended as a minimum

In answer to your question, yes I would.

If someone would produce, for example, an NBL Class 21/29, I'd happily pay over the 'standard' price to get it produced. There are other models I'd be prepared to do that for

Scotty

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2015, 05:08:47 PM »
If you could come in less than the Desiro (through skipping the middle man, a la the Pendo) then great, and more likely people will buy multiples, however as it's unlikely you'll halve the cost that's potentially a bit of a moot point.

As such I'd say I'd be "prepared" to pay 160+, but of course less would be preferable  :)

The premium thing is a difficult one isn't it.I'd like a Windhoff MPV, and the model made by those on this forum looks excellent, but I can't justify paying more for the 3D printed kit, than the Bachmann OO gauge RTR model. If this were a RTR model (as we're obviously proposing) then I'd swallow more of a premium personally.

Offline edwin_m

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2015, 05:20:26 PM »
I'm not sure the dummy idea would work.  A power unit to run four coaches might fit below the windows like the Dapol 156 but for eight I would have thought it would have to protrude about window sill level to get enough weight on the wheels.  Surely much better to make all units powered?  If the unit is through-wired like I think is proposed for the Pendolino then one decoder can do motor and lights both ends, but a dummy unit would still need a decoder for the lights. 

It also gives the possibility of modelling somewhere where Electrostars split and join several times per hour, as they do in several places on the big railway. 

ScottyStitch

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2015, 05:47:10 PM »
I'm not sure the dummy idea would work.  A power unit to run four coaches might fit below the windows like the Dapol 156 but for eight I would have thought it would have to protrude about window sill level to get enough weight on the wheels.  Surely much better to make all units powered?  If the unit is through-wired like I think is proposed for the Pendolino then one decoder can do motor and lights both ends, but a dummy unit would still need a decoder for the lights. 

It also gives the possibility of modelling somewhere where Electrostars split and join several times per hour, as they do in several places on the big railway.

I'm pretty sure the new Pendo will have two independent motors and require two decoders for DCC control. Mike and Ben will be able to confirm that though, and I may be wrong.

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2015, 06:26:48 PM »

Cheers, Mike

In a word, yes! My suggestion was a guide, but for everyone who would want a model come what may, there would be many more who will have a limit. The closer you nudge to 200.00 the lower the number of takers. If a decent model of an Electrostar was produced for, say, 175.00, no doubt I would order a few. 200 a pop, then you are looking at perhap one or two.

Obviously the pricing is very important...if this discussion turned into something more tangible, I would be very interested to see how the price would be reached. Either way, I think most of us would accept the price would be higher than a 'standard' 4-car unit.

Apologies if there are any typos...currently experiencing 377147 doing about 80mph!

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2015, 08:01:14 PM »
And how late was it tonight Claude?!

Through wiring to reduce number of decoders is a great idea - I'd have bought at least one more decoder if I didn't need to spend the same again on the requisite three decoders for each unit!

Offline kaiwhara

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19901
  • Train Driver and former Signalman from New Zealand
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2015, 08:05:16 PM »
In which car would one decide to put the motor bogie in? I ask this as, it would realistically need to be in one of the Driving Cars, or the Panto Car. The MOS wouldn't be able to have it, as in doing so it would prevent the 377/3 being able to be modeled.

Not so worried about the headlights. I think the newer light clusters look better anyway.

Any thought been given to custom ordered fleet numbering? I have no idea whats involved, but how would that be able to be worked? Or even transfers?

Andrew
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2015, 08:51:21 PM »
Jumping the gun re fleet numbers there a little! This is still a very theoretical discussion!

Offline BudgieJane

• N Gauge Society Number: 24726
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2015, 10:31:03 PM »
Jumping the gun re fleet numbers there a little! This is still a very theoretical discussion!

Theoretical it might be, but I'm wondering if the question that sparked this debate about how much you will pay implies that something is planned for the not-so-distant future.
Best wishes

Jane

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2015, 10:45:14 PM »
Yes I agree, but ruminating on the process for choosing running numbers is a long way down the line. I'd love to see this happen though, and would gladly buy at least one unit.

Offline NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2015, 10:52:59 PM »
I have had it suggested that N-Train should produce this as a kit.

I can confirm that it is not a current development. I do have a lot of information about the units, and have done some minor CAD work for this. BUT, it is NOT a kit I am currently working on.

Once I have completed the range of kits I have already got in development, I will check to see if anyone has this underway. If not, I will then dust off my info and get busy. An N-Train kit, without motorised chassis would be about 150

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal