!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

Would You Buy a Crowd Funded Electrostar 377/2 in N Gauge?

No
Yes, at least 1
Yes at least 2
Yes, more than 2
Yes Depending on Liveries proposed

Author Topic: Suggestion for RevolutioN - Electrostar 377/2  (Read 24822 times)

Offline UPINSMOKE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25171
  • Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Suggestion for RevolutioN - Electrostar 377/2
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2015, 12:00:40 AM »
Right I am not one who is any good at pitching. So I hope you don't mind I have gleaned most of relevant information from the Electrostar thread started recently from others who are far more qualified than me. I really do want this to be a contender to be produced. So I decided to start this poll. If its not correct please put me right.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In view of the Revolution Trains thread, and the various sub-threads popping up regarding new product suggestions, it might be an idea to crystallise many of the comments on this thread and run the Electrostar through the same criteria:

Do you think there are 1000 modellers to buy one? 

If we are talking units (of sale, as opposed to EMUs!), then yes, I am reasonably confident that 1,000 units would be achievable. Whilst some modellers may get a single set, a large number may well be interested in two or three

Would they accept a sensible price?

I think much of the discussion on this thread suggests that sensible price of around about 175.00 would be acceptable. Obviously the price-point has a number of factors...

Do you know where we could get proper drawings, or is there a real one left to laser scan to be confident of accuracy?

Presumably plans and blueprints are available from Bombardier, and there are plenty of units out there for scanning. Also, Southern appear to be a very image-conscious company, who advertise quite widely. They may well welcome (or at least be receptive to) an initiative of this nature...don't forget the 171 has been produced both in 00 and N (and due out again this year). Not so sure about First-group however...FCC did not turn out to be the happiest experience for them. The general thrust of this thread is that the 'second-generation' light cluster (377140-164, 377/2, 377/4, 377/5, 375/8, 375/9) design would be a suitable candidate; perhaps with the 377/2 (with its wide sphere of operation) being a initial option.

Given current N Gauge technology would there be any serious manufacturing compromises

No, I don't believe so. In fact there are little or no compromises as far as I can see...for example the tinted glass effectively masks the fact the motor may well fill one of the carriages.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:05:06 AM by UPINSMOKE »
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

Layout Southern Comfort - In-Progress:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23145.0

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion for RevolutioN - Electrostar 377/2
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2015, 12:30:48 AM »
I would be up for one!
Like I have put on my poll depends on livery.
But from what I understand with regards the whole R&D side of life the livery is the easiest bit!

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2015, 10:19:18 AM »
My preference is for Southern Livery. I'd get one in another livery, if Southern wasn't produced, and hopefully Electra would produce vinyls.

Then I can recreate this scene especially as the Southern livery will disappear and become what looks to be a very bland TSGN livery

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Greybeema

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2015, 06:46:35 PM »
As said before - livery is that last of the issues but I would go more for something like this:-

http://railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/view/367679/TW
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2015, 07:01:23 PM »
Southern for me also.  I'd buy two - hopefully!

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2015, 07:26:25 PM »
TBH - I think I'll be the only one who wants one in SE livery, so I am quite willing to vinyl it up myself esp if I can get a blank (non liveried) version..
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline JBQFC

• N Gauge Society Number: 9651
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2015, 08:00:41 PM »
i would have two each in southern and FCC
john

Offline Farmer chap

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2015, 09:06:23 PM »
Hi,

Wrong there Mr Greybeema, I would buy a couple of 375's in South Eastern colours, however I will accept a

compromise and re-livery if I need to.

Offline Jameswgm

• Awards
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2015, 11:30:12 AM »
Electrostar would be a definite purchase for me. Preference would be South Eastern.

Offline Stuart7358

• N Gauge Society Number: 22431
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2015, 12:57:13 PM »
Certainly would want one unit in Southern livery, see them so much I tend to over look them, even thought they are the quiet work horse around here.

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2015, 02:35:28 PM »
At least two for me...perhaps even more.

Yes, I think the 377/2 is a great initial choice, as they cover the widest range (Thameslink allocated ones can make their way over to Sevenoaks). I suspect you would need to include the DC-only sets as well, or else you will end up with a limited number of sets to choose from. It is a pity the SE duel-voltage sets have the earlier light-clusters (which are significantly different).

That said, SE-liveried units did spread their wings a little. This is a class 375/9 unit (leading a 12 carriage train) pulling out of Pulborough with the 17:47 London Bridge - Bognor Regis service on 14 April 2009 (so for Pengi's benefit, it would have passed Arundel Castle). They were being used to cover a shortage of 377s - Southern 377/2s were with FCC whilst they were waiting for their own 377/5s (which are actually Southern units on loan).

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2015, 09:53:33 PM »
Count me in for at least one maybe more in FCC
  regards Derek.

Offline Gavin

• N Gauge Society Number: 20062
    • Gavin's Railways
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2015, 07:11:11 AM »
I'd like to have at least 2 8 car sets and potentially a couple of 4's  the challenge would be having to purchase them in one hit. Given that it's likely to be 12 + months from pledge to delivery that's doable but think I would still stick at 4 for the first wave.

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2015, 09:38:20 PM »
There's no reason why Southern, FCC (Thameslink) and South-Eastern versions couldn't be accommodated with minimal extra tooling. Just go for the later headlight cluster.

The Southern and FCC versions have AC capability, so even more potential. With Class 700s due to take over on Thameslink and Great Northern in a couple of years, who knows where the 377s will end up next...up north or on the Great Western? I believe that some may be coming to the Great Northern soon to add to the variety in Peterborough.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2015, 12:14:20 AM »

Hello Gavin,

If we tried an Electrostar then getting 800-1000 expressions of interest that translate into orders is going to be a tall order.

And even if we managed it, I suspect that whoever inherits the tooling afterwards - though in theory they could offer more after two years - may well feel the market is exhausted for several years.

I suspect it would be a long time before there is another "wave" and as with the Pendolino if we were to offer this model we'd be sure to do several different running numbers in any given livery, if there was demand.

cheers

Ben A.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal