New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: James St-exhibition layout  (Read 13006 times)

Offline martyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
Re: James St-exhibition layout
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2016, 06:11:21 PM »
Chris in Prague;
The German vans come as almost ready to run, just add wheels, couplings, and paint; but there is a list of parts for detailing them more fully.
http://www.shapeways.com/product/Y67PMMXR8/2151-1-148-german-train-ferry-wagon-40t-glw-low?optionId=43104567
http://www.shapeways.com/product/77PB6CL8T/2351-1-148-german-train-ferry-van-e277?optionId=18481469
http://www.shapeways.com/product/H5HU7FN4F/2251-1-148-german-train-ferry-van-e006?optionId=18481355
http://www.shapeways.com/product/SYAWXHATV/2152-1-148-german-train-ferry-wagon-40t-glw-low?optionId=43104545
These are the German ferry wagons in 1;148. the stake wagon is available with stakes up or down; I think you already know about the VIX. The designer of these wagons gives a list of parts needed to complete, and a link to suitable transfers. My reefer vans were all obtained-over a fairly long period-from Ebay; likewise, the stake wagon. Note that these are all 1;160, but are not far out against the scratch built wagons. The stake wagon is a standard DB one, but it was a lot cheaper than the Shapeways one! I will have to check if they are still available, as etched Pixels used to do an etch of rams horn hooks (used for securing the wagons to the train ferry decks on passage) for the Mill Lane VIX, and also, I think, etched ventilators. I also have some tank wagons from the N Gauge Society kit which are a bit out of timescale for steam/early diesel on James St (but run on Saneham Tey). I used diagrams from Barrowmore Model Railway group to get basic dimensions, and 'International train-ferry wagons in colour' by D Ratcliffe for details and colours. Once I started building them, it was quite addictive-but they are big(gish) vehicle and soon take up a lot of storage space, and there are so many variations of the basic theme!
I will try and write a detailed methodology of the construction as a separate topic, one day........
HTH
Martyn
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 06:15:32 PM by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2016, 09:15:57 PM »
Many thanks, Martyn, for this very quick and useful reply. If I could buy a suitable chassis for a VIX, I'd buy the 3D printed body and have a go at adding one to my 1960s collection. I think the Etched Pixels detailing is still available and the securing hooks would be worth me buying to make my ersatz ferry stock a little more realistic!

Offline grid078

• N Gauge Society Number: 11150
    • Suffolk and North Essex area group of the N-Gauge Society
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2016, 10:37:56 PM »
 A few photos from Romford show.
Sorry time was against me due to reasons explained by David/Martyn, i had hoped to take more.

Chris in Prague the black diesel in the depot photo in the previous batch of photos is indeed one of the LMS twins 10000 & 10001, Steve has both models, i will in the future see if i am able to photograph them for you.

Goods yard and carriage shed/sidings in background.

Round house engine shed upper level.

Round house.

Main steam/diesel depot.

Dock yard and steam/diesel yard/depot.

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2016, 11:23:28 PM »
Wow, some of the best photos I have seen of a layout in a while. That roundhouse is magnificent!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2016, 07:41:50 AM »
Many thanks for these excellent photos. of a superb layout. Photos. of Steve's LMS twins, 10000 & 10001, would be much appreciated.

Offline martyn

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2016, 08:56:43 AM »
The roundhouse is scratchbuilt-as is the lower yard model of Goodmayes Continental warehouse on the lower level (not seen in this series of photos, but is on the older ones posted). The turntable works and is self-aligning (that would be an article in its own right!). the buildings are a mixture of British, Continental and US kits, as well as scratchbuilt, modified as necessary to fit the overall scene.
Martyn
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:03:31 AM by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2016, 11:19:45 AM »
Excellent photos of a superb layout.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline martyn

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »
For anyone who is interested, I have added a topic in  'N Gauge kit built rolling stock' entitled 'Scratch building ferry vans' which describes how I built most of the ferry vans on James St.
For those who may have noticed in the photos some Private owner or pre-nationalisation wagons on James St; Steve was left a large number of these by his late father, and uses them as 'Rule 1' at home,  but for exhibitions we will be replacing them with BR liveried vehicles in the future.
Martyn

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2016, 04:34:04 PM »
Many thanks, Martyn.

Offline martyn

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2016, 04:42:37 PM »
We have now lost the old webpage which was run by Suffolk and North Essex group to link to photos and details of both 'James St' and 'Saneham Tey'.
However, I'm glad to say that Stuart has started building a new website which, for the time being, will still be for both layouts;

http://sanengauge.wixsite.com/classic-layout

At time of writing, this is still 'work in progress', but it will be updated as time and new photos permit.
It is expected that Steve will eventually have his own website for James St; the link between the two layouts is that the operators for both layouts are basically the same people....
Martyn
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:55:54 PM by martyn, Reason: spelling »

Offline Al.

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2016, 09:49:19 PM »
That's one impressive layout. I look forward to seeing it sometime soon.

When is its net outing?

Al.

'The Bridge at Remagen' Facebook page - https://www.facebook...ridgeAtRemagen/

Booked exhibitions.
The National Festival of Railway Modelling, Peterborough - December 2018
The London Festival of Railway Modelling, Alexander Palace - 23/24 March 2019.
Trainwest 2019, Corsham, Wiltshire - 13/14 April 2019.
RailEx NE, North Shields - 27/28 July 2019.
The International N Gauge Show, Leamington Spa -  13/14 September 2019.

Offline martyn

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2016, 08:31:39 AM »
Hi Al;
the next confirmed exhibition is Billericay (South Essex) on 6/5/17. It has possible bookings for Basildon in July, and Southwold in August (these may or may not be deferred until 2018).
It is CONFIRMED for Warley 2017.
Other tentative bookings are in the pipeline.
Martyn

Offline Southerngooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2017, 08:53:48 AM »
Just to confirm that James Street is confirmed for the Basildon exhibition 2017, 1st and 2nd July as well as Bristol 2018 4-6 May. We look forward to meeting any Forum members at these shows, please feel free to make yourself known to the operators!

Offline Carmont

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »
Just to confirm that James Street is confirmed for the Basildon exhibition 2017, 1st and 2nd July as well as Bristol 2018 4-6 May. We look forward to meeting any Forum members at these shows, please feel free to make yourself known to the operators!

Thanks for keeping us up to date with appearances. Any chance you guys would fancy bringing it North to Glasgow (Model Rail Scotland) or Perth (Perth MRC)?

Offline Southerngooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2017, 12:30:03 PM »
Hi

We would consider going anywhere in the country, but bear in mind that we would need overnight accommodation on the Thursday and Sunday nights as it a king way north from Essex! Getting there in time to set up on Friday would be difficult, but three could come up in the van with the layout and others the next day (Friday). If you know the organisers and are interested then pm me and we can talk further. It probably wouldn't be until 2019 though given current commitments.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything