!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: James St-exhibition layout  (Read 24802 times)

Offline DarrwestLU6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
Re: James St-exhibition layout
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2019, 01:27:43 PM »
Thanks for that! Great looking website. I might be tempted by RAILEX2020 in Aylesbury!

Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2019, 06:45:03 PM »
Hi;

I'm not sure what Steve has done to the scenery since TINGS, but he has replaced two(?) control panels, to make set up and take down quicker, and also improve electrical reliability. Dave has been working on some signals; I've built more stock (!), and I'm working on more ships in advance of Steve's planned harbour extension.

The layout is at Spalding on 2-3 November, then Canterbury in January 2020. Unfortunately, I can't make Spalding (and missed TINGS as well), but hope to be at Canterbury. My stock and ships will be there, though.

Martyn

Offline grid078

• N Gauge Society Number: 11150
    • Suffolk and North Essex area group of the N-Gauge Society
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2019, 07:39:33 PM »
Evening all.

As mentioned by Martyn earlier in the week James St is attending Spalding M.R.C this weekend.
Martyn is unable to attend, the boats, cranes and stock that he supplies are currently with me, i took the opportunity to photograph his boats and cranes which tend to get swallowed up within the dock yard.

Regards Stuart

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2019, 08:45:48 PM »
Lovely to see them in closer detail, Stuart. Many thanks.

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2019, 09:59:21 PM »
Thanks for posting these, Stuart.

For anyone interested, the crane is one of eight I have built. As mentioned on another post is a hybrid of a Faller/Kibri base with Scale link jib etched brass jib and a modified Scale link cab. The Scale link crane is designed with an unusual arrangement where the jib pivots up and down; I changed the cab orientation 90 degrees, but I decided against an even greater modification as it would have involved cutting off the frame which is now at the back of the crane cab and mounting it on the roof. I thought discretion was the greater part of valour...…..

'Shell Welder' is from the former Frog kit, and is more or less out of the box, except for replacement etched hand/guard rails and tank valve wheels. The transfers for the name and funnel banding are also extras, as the kit did not come with these.

The green hulled ship is converted from the Shell Welder hull, and uses some other parts of the kit. It is meant to represent a bulk carrier or general cargo vessel similar to the 1960s Dutch Schuyts ('Skoots'), but its layout, on reflection, may be a bit more modern....

The grey hulled ship is also from the Shell Welder hull. Extensive use was made of Plasticard and Plastruct card and shaped mouldings (eg the handrails and ladders) to complete it. I had to scratch build the amidships deckhouse and the hatch coamings, as well as many other bits. The cargo is by a variety of sources; Peco, Hornby, and Steve's scrapbox…….It is designed to represent a 1950s motor coaster or short sea trader, carrying general cargo. I rigged the two sets of cargo derrick on the #2 hatch as working in Union Purchase rig, but I had to simplify some of the rigging; eyesight, space, and fat finger trouble. For reference, this took about 120-140 hours to build over last winter.

I really must get around to printing transfers for names and port of registry. The mooring lines are overscale, as I used rubberised cotton from bead sets to enable the lines to be set over the bollards on the quayside. If the ships were permanently on the layout, I'd have used finer cotton, but as they have to be removed for transport, I used the rubberised cotton.

On the slipway is a well-deck 1950s general cargo coaster, which started life as a Revell kit for the North Sea trawler; it is being converted in a similar manner to the grey ship. This is about 75% complete, and may be in service for Canterbury in January 2020, but we only have room for three 'big' ships in the current harbour. I have also completed a an Artitect Dutch 'Tjalk' canal/river barge (a VERY pleasing kit to build straight out of the box) and a Gramodels 'Puffer'. Perhaps I can get Stuart to post these as well.

I still have another trawler to build as something; and also another Shell Welder kit. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but watch this space...….

The layout is due to appear in the model press in January, and having seen some of the photos taken for this article, if they are published, the dock shows up, IMHO, very well, showcasing Steve's talent.

Martyn

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 10:07:39 PM by martyn, Reason: Extra info »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2019, 11:07:22 PM »
All very splendid models. I love docks/ships. Having grown up in Bristol, holidayed in Cornwall AND had 2 brothers as Naval Officers it would seem reasonable ;).
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2019, 12:08:00 AM »
Hi Martyn (and Stuart),

Thanks for the info and lovely models. Jealous as ever. One day I'll get my ships done but probably not til about 2030 and then not very good.

Great stuff.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: December 10, 2019, 09:22:54 AM »
Hi;

A short progress report.

Our next exhibitions are Canterbury, 18+19 January, Doncaster 8+9 February, and Victory/Portsmouth 4+5 April, and Railex/Aylesbury 23+24 May. We have a break then until September, then so far, seven in six months (three in five weeks), involving a lot of travel!

Steve has finished rebuilding the three main control boards, which are now permanently connected to the scenic boards, instead of being separate and plugged in/out at exhibitions. He's also still adding details to areas, and is working on getting the roundhouse turntable working, so that locos may be changed when they are in the sidings. Dave/Southerngooner is carrying on with more signals, and I'm still working on the next batch of ships for the proposed harbour extension, which is planned and drawn, but not yet started.

Dave and Stuart/grid078 are generally keeping the website updated, including show invites.

Hope to see some of you at the shows; please make yourselves known.

Martyn

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: December 27, 2019, 06:59:57 PM »
We've had a good day at Steve's today testing out his re-wired and rebuilt control panels, and also the locos.

We have found, with exhibition experience, that the original layout and wiring of the panels was not optimal for our use, and also Steve wanted to reduce the physical size of them, to assist in transit, and also make them integral with the matching baseboard so as to minimise plug-in electrical connections. After a heck of a lot of work (and now redundant wiring)  he has succeeded-we think. Running today, the new panels 'did what it says on the tin'...……..and so we are hopeful that under full exhibition running, they will prove more reliable and enable us to undertake moves that were previously difficult to set up.

We also decided to test run all the locos we have available for use. This involved, we think, about 120 locos in total. Steve ensured that the wheels were cleaned, then we ran them on two of the upper circuits, then on a very convoluted track path, involving the middle level, the lower goods yard reception roads, and one reversing loop, directly into the lower main engine shed. We don't put this number of locos out at exhibitions, but it does enable us to have a good few 'spares' to allow for failures during the period of a show.

We were pleasantly surprised that we only had four initial failures to run at acceptable speeds and control; and after some tinkering, we got three out of the four to go properly.

Look forward to seeing at least some of you at Canterbury in January, and Doncaster in February.

Martyn

Later addition: it was interesting listening to Radio Two at lunchtime during the trial runs when Sir Rod Stewart was being interviewed about his model railway!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:54:34 PM by martyn, Reason: Extra information »

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: December 27, 2019, 10:38:32 PM »
Out of interest, what were the problem child locos?

I'm interested as your wonderful layout must be a very good test of loco longevity, given its size and use in an exhibition setting.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2019, 09:36:35 AM »
The main non-runners were 2 x Fairburn and 2 x Standard 3 tanks. These all ran, but were 'lumpy'; after some tinkering, three out of four worked again, leaving one Standard 3 to be looked at again, but we didn't test run this one until virtually the end of the day, and didn't have time to look at it. We did find that giving a lap or two on about half throttle settled a few more locos into smoother running.

Steve did say yesterday that his hand-built controllers have been built to have a maximum output of 8-9V. This doesn't affect the 'top speed' of most of the locos for exhibition purposes, as we try to run well below this. However, it does mean that some Dapol locos, noticeably B17s and a Western, run no faster than, probably, a scale 50mph, and need a fair bit of turning of the control knob before they move. Conversely, a Dapol 121 'bubble car' shoots off at very little encouragement.

For most of the trials, we left the controller untouched for speed. It was noticeable of the variation in speed between locos that this resulted in, including locos of the same class! On a few occasions, a loco was just about 'lapped' by the time it arrived at the shed by the loco following it, having been set off one circuit of the upper layout apart.

We also had a diesel that shed its bogie sideframe (easily clipped back), and two or three with bent sanding pipes which fouled part of the track or valve gear; once discovered, again, easily cured.

Considering that most of the locos (and stock) now only gets used at exhibitions, and not at home, we were pleasantly surprised at the relatively low number of problems encountered. The initial lap or two was to free them up again, as most have not run for at least a month, some even more, and some of the locos (mine) live in an unheated garage.

It did show the flexibility of running trains on the layout, as one controller was used on one circuit to give the initial lap or two, then a second controller powered the loco for the rest of the run, but de-isolating some areas with the switches that Steve has built in to the control panels (and was one of the things we need to test on the new panels). Normally, at least three, or four, operators would be needed to perform what we did yesterday; but of course, locos had to run in the same direction, with no locos running the other way due to the need to set conflicting pointwork for two train running.

HTH

martyn

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 09:38:19 AM by martyn, Reason: Spelling »

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: December 28, 2019, 02:16:18 PM »
Interesting reading with such a big sample of locos. Less than 3% initial problem rate.... How often do you need to lubricate them (if at all)?
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: December 28, 2019, 02:48:44 PM »
Interesting reading with such a big sample of locos. Less than 3% initial problem rate.... How often do you need to lubricate them (if at all)?

Interesting to hear Martyn's response, but I know it's stated on the large McKinley system on Youtube that they *never* oil locos unless absolutely mechanically necessary - oiling generally ends up with problems.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: December 28, 2019, 04:09:06 PM »

By coincidence today I unboxed and test ran my 35 years old Kato 10 car SNCF TGV, which has not been run for 10 years or so. I cleaned the wheels with a cocktail stick and some IPA, put it on the track and away it went. I have never lubricated it and it sounds today just as it did when new.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: December 28, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »
I don't oil my locos, except the recommended initial lubrication of Dapol locos. Most of the time, I'm cleaning off factory applied excesses...……I think Steve and Dave are likewise.

After each exhibition, failures, if any, are investigated; most are dirty contacts, despite the time Steve spends cleaning the layout, and the three of us the loco wheels. I also check out locos fitted with traction tyres for failures; usually one or two B1s or J39s have shed one, but not always. Because of the handling they get, we do find that some locos get distorted sanding pipes, which can foul track or valve gear.

For reference, locos include, but are not  limited to, the following classes, and vary from re-wheeled and gear changed Poole, split chassis Farish, latest version Farish, and Dapol; many classes have more than one example; note that the only Poole locos we use are two 20s double headed, and four cl20 chassis underneath cl15 and 16. All other Farish is to latest standards.

LMS
Duchess; Royal Scot; Jubilee; 5MT, 3F, 4F, Fairburn 4MTT, Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0, Jinties.

LNER
A1, B1, B17, J39, A5*, J70*.   *Rarely used, but they do go.....

GWR
28xx, Pannier (not sure which one). We also have visiting Western  classes courtesy of Nigel, both steam and diesel.

BR
Britannia, 5MT, 4MT mogul, 4MTT, 3MTT, Austerity.

Diesel
03*, 04*, 08*, 15, 16, 20, 24, 25/1, 25/2, 25/3, 27, 31, 37, 40, 44, 45, 47, 52, 55, Deltic (prototype), 101, 104, 108, 121, Blue Pullman. *Rarely used because of electrical unreliability when shunting, nor sufficient 'grunt' especially when pushing. The 15s and 16 are Poole chassis re-wheeled 20s. We usually use 15s or 20s for shunting.

We have found vast differences in performances between classes; one 28xx will pull 110 wagons, and has been filmed doing so; but the second barely manages 45.

We have also found that in general, the 'Peaks' are very slow running, even at full throttle, which is about 8-9V max. My Peak is no better on dcc.

We have found that the Pannier and some of the Jinties are more than capable of running all around the layout with a string of wagons, but despite tinkering, others are not reliable enough.

We have found that the 6-pin DMUs usually require a wheel clean during the show period.

Though we take all locos to exhibitions, we only need a proportion of them at any one time. We endeavour to change locos on second or subsequent days of exhibitions, and we never start with the same locos on day one as we did at any previous exhibition...…….guaranteed!

As stated in my previous post, Steve has built the controller with an output voltage limited to between 8+9V. Even this is rarely needed.

HTH some of you.

Martyn

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 10:14:53 PM by martyn, Reason: correction »

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything