!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: James St-exhibition layout  (Read 24674 times)

honk843, darve, AlanK, BRMan, nick_bastable, Southerngooner, B757-236GT and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
Re: James St-exhibition layout
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2018, 01:42:23 AM »
I was impressed with James St on Saturday (I was helping a fried with his Whatley layout at the Broadstairs show) - could do with some Class B tanks ;-)

Cheers Mike

Offline martyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »
Hello Mike;

Should have come over and said hello!

I thought seriously about class B tanks after seeing the magnificent models at Warley last year; BUT our oil depot is Shell/BP, and would have been mostly 'low flash' fuels such as petrol, diesel (DERV, if anyone remembers...), and possibly Avgas/Avtur, lubricating oils and paraffin. Sadly, I personally couldn't justify them.

But having seen them again in the flesh, I should have applied Rule One  ;)

Martyn

Offline grid078

• N Gauge Society Number: 11150
    • Suffolk and North Essex area group of the N-Gauge Society
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2018, 08:28:31 PM »
Evening all

Couple of updates from the last two exhibitions, not the usual format this time, but a bit of fun was had with a peak at Farnham show which managed quite a load coal hoppers then at Broadstairs we tried again with a little steamer (sorry i am a modern diesel nerd, these steamy things i know not what that they are, all a mystery)!!! this surpassed all expectations in its haulage capacity. So sit back and enjoy.

First up the peak at Farnham

Secondly the steamer at Broadstairs

Regards Stuart

Offline grid078

• N Gauge Society Number: 11150
    • Suffolk and North Essex area group of the N-Gauge Society
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2018, 09:15:33 PM »
Photos from our recent outing to Broadstairs.

Just visible in this photo are the new mooring points on  the quayside and the rebuilt dock side crane.

One of the new cameo scenes that Steve has created, its there on the layout if you can find them

Junction station with local DMU and up and down freights trundling through

Lower goods yard and goods shed

Delivery truck struggling uphill on the High St

Lower goods yard as viewed from the inside operating well out towards the viewing public

Class 20 D8011 awaiting its next freight shunting duty whilst in the background steam locos litter the engine yard and coal loading facilities.

Regards Stuart

Online Southerngooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 24642
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2018, 07:55:42 AM »
We will have to give Stuart some recognition training for "steamers"! It's a Dapol 38xx and it ran like an absolute dream with 112 minerals plus guards van. The only occasional problem was Rapido coupling failure......the loco never missed a beat, up or downhill,  and wasn't even warm after two hours of running. Who says N gauge steam locos are rubbish?!

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2019, 08:54:38 PM »
Hello all;

We should be at the Leamington and Warwick show this coming weekend, 2+3 March.

https://www.lwmrs.co.uk/index.php/exhibition-contents

Steve has done some rewiring (a lot!) and further scenery work; I've built a new ship and some cranes for the harbour. Unfortunately, Dave/Southerngooner is unable to attend, but if you do come, please make yourselves known.

Martyn

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:55:59 PM by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Offline Ensign Elliott

• N Gauge Society Number: 27962
    • Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2019, 10:13:28 PM »
Saw this today at Leamington - what an amazing layout!

Are the cranes scratch built? How were they made?

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2019, 01:27:34 PM »
Hello;

Good that you enjoyed the layout!

The cranes are hybrids; they have Faller (Kibri seem identical) base/legs, and Scalelink cabs and jibs. This was because it was decided by Steve (the owner) that the Faller/Kibri cranes looked wrong with fixed jibs, implying that the jibs could not be topped (lowered or raised) to allow cargo work. The Scalelink cranes were then looked at but they were not able to span the height or width of a rail track to allow a track to run between the legs for wagons to run on. They also have a funny arrangement where the jibs pivot to allow topping up or down. The Scalelink cab/machinery room units and longer jibs also allow some vertical development of the scenery in this area; the Kibri/Faller originals were lost behind the quayside warehouses.

The bases are slightly modified; as designed, the legs are designed to 'splay' a little making a slightly pyramidal shape. It was decided to alter this and make the legs vertical; so the two rail sets of legs were glued at 90 degrees to the base, and then the 'end' legs had a little of the top mount filed away to fit between the now vertical wheel legs. U-section beams were also added to the wheel sets of legs for improved strength, and also seem more common prototypically than none fitted to these legs. See post #144 for more explanation.

The Scalelink etches for the cabs and jibs had a bigger modification. The sides and ends of the cab/machinery room were assembled as designed, but the cab was cut off and replaced by a solid roof. The model is designed to have the jib pivot on an etched arm in front of the cab; but this looks wrong, so the jib was moved to be top mounted on the roof area. This enabled the machinery room to be turned 180 degrees and the jib support unit was now at the back of the crane. I think that this would look even better cut off and then roof mounted to allow the rigging of the jib and hook to be a little more typical design; but it is a lot of work to do. The jib was folded up from etched brass, three sides, with the bottom being a seperate etch and soldered on after folding the rest. This is the worst part of the job! This was then solderd to the cab sides. Plasticard counter weights were added to the etched ones to make the unit look a little more '3D' and not flush with the jib lattice, like the real ones (not flush, that is).

Rigging for the jib and hook was made from brass wire; it hangs straight, and is not furry or forms a funny twist like cotton does if used this way. The hook is part of the kit, with small spherical weights made from tiny beads. A bonus was found that the Faller cab glazing, if cut down about 1.5mm all around, would fit the revised cab/machinery arrangement and make the new driver's position cab. Doors were added from Plasticard.

Painting, after a thorough cleaning and degrease, was with Halford's rattle can grey Plastic Primer; weathering with Humbrol blue/grey wash and some 'rust' dry brushing.

If all goes well, Stuart/Grid078 should be posting some photos later this week.

You can see the 'protoype' first build in Grid078 photo in post number 138, before mass production was approved.

Four cranes down, four to go-until Steve decides he wants more for the proposed harbour extension..........

This is an expensive exercise, though, as obviously full kits of both the Faller and Scalelink cranes need to be bought for each crane, then about 50% discarded....but the Faller crane cabs, with a new roof, make reasonably good huts or mess rooms for the dockers.

HTH

martyn
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:06:00 PM by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Offline Ensign Elliott

• N Gauge Society Number: 27962
    • Lace Wars
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »
Excellent, many thanks for the detailed reply. I'll have ago and doing the same for my Fowey harbour layout.

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2019, 01:58:35 PM »
Best of luck!

For me, folding the jib squarely is the worst part...ÖÖ

Martyn

Later addition; having put the wheel legs of the base on at 90 degrees, if you choose to go down this route you will need to razor saw the end legs from the cross girder to allow the cross girder and legs to be filed individually to shape to fit the now vertical wheeled legs.

Obviously, if you chose to build the crane base as supplied, this won't be needed.

martyn
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:50:34 AM by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2019, 09:12:17 AM »
We will have to give Stuart some recognition training for "steamers"! It's a Dapol 38xx and it ran like an absolute dream with 112 minerals plus guards van. The only occasional problem was Rapido coupling failure......the loco never missed a beat, up or downhill,  and wasn't even warm after two hours of running. Who says N gauge steam locos are rubbish?!

Brilliant videos, the fact all the couplings behaved was what impressed me... my last attempt of a long train (only 43 tar tankers) was repeatedly thwarted by couplers separating.....

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2019, 09:41:12 AM »
Others have recommended 'tacky wax' for fixing recalcitrant couplings, Andrew. 8-)

Online honk843

• N Gauge Society Number: 1800
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
This is a really good ad for this particular Dapol model. People only normally only put on posts about problems. I must say that I have one of these too and was amazed at its pulling power although 50 wagons is all I tried. More would not be appropriate for the layout.

Online Southerngooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »
That was the main reason for posting the video. N gauge locos get a lot of bad press but we work them quite hard on James Street and the number of problems is very low. Iím not saying we havenít bought roguenlovos but they are a tiny minority, the bulk (bought both new and secondhand) have proved to be very good. And we are talking of around 80 locos here of al types.....

Online Southerngooner

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2019, 02:06:13 PM »
Or even "rogue locos", not "roguenlovos"

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00