!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Welcome to Ledgington - the home of Desert Rail  (Read 37725 times)

Offline DesertHound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
Re: Welcome to Ledgington - the home of Desert Rail
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2014, 07:27:40 PM »
Evening All

Well, with the Christmas festivities out of the way the owners of Ledginton Railways Ltd. have advised me (as prime construction contractor) that work needs to proceed at pace in 2015, in order for the railway's grand opening in March(ish).

After spending a whole day in just about every shopping mall in Dubai the other week (and no, I'm not joking) looking for lollipop sticks - "what are they? ... Oh, you mean popsicle sticks!" was the common reply, I came home empty handed. With a trip to Manchester in hand, I spotted the perfect opportunity to order some of these and have them delivered by post ... 4 boxes to be precise, which is, erm, 4000 to be even more precise!

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

With a design chosen from t'internet for my bridge, I dived straight into it. I did consider making a full scale plan, but at 3m long, I would just be reams and reams of paper. Also, the bridge is a truss design, and doesn't consist of anything intricate that needs to be followed on a paper plan (I simply have to repeat the same pattern over and over again). After making a start with 45 degree angles for the truss, my wife helpfully pointed out that the bridge I was copying from the internet looked like it had 60 degree angles, as in an equilateral triangle. Doh ....  :headbutt:

Ah well, the glue hadn't dried completely yet so, despite having 4000 sticks, I was able to salvage those from the first attempt. Next I decided to make a jig at 60 degrees (very basic with some lollipop sticks glued to a piece of paper) and also attempt a mock up (without glue) of the bridge I was actually trying to replicate. This is shown below;

The jig allows me to replicate the triangular truss pattern consistently, as shown below;

This evening's proceedings delivered the following (with a few mistakes along the way, which required some forceful separation of glued together sticks). I'm quite happy with the results so far and with just over half a metre completed, there's a long way to go to get to 3m. Oh, and you can double that, since there needs to be a truss on either side of the bridge  :doh:

I have learnt through research that the best "depth to span" ratio for a truss bridge is 1:6. In other words, a bridge should be 1 high by 6 long in order to achieve the optimal load bearing capability). My bridge is more like 1:20!!! That said, I don't require a bridge which can bear a load of 100t (lollipop bridges can withstand a load of 500kg, I've even read up to 1t) and so I'll be happy with something far more modest  ;D

I'll keep you updated and any suggestions for a name for her would be appreciated.

For those of you who were enjoying looking at the pictures on my advent calendar, I apologise that it wasn't completed before Christmas. It's been a busy time but I'll endeavour to post some nice pictures in January.

Daniel
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2014, 01:13:15 AM »
I'll keep you updated and any suggestions for a name for her would be appreciated.

"The Good Bridge Lollipop"?
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2014, 03:24:35 PM »
The 'Truss to God' bridge?
Being serious for a few seconds - that's some neat work, Dan, and looks to be plenty strong :thumbsup:

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2015, 09:01:10 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Squiddy, Nobby ... I think the winner's still out there, however.

The Truss to God Bridge ... is that in reference to my lovely, most cherished Poole locos entering the bridge, not knowing if they'll make it to the other side?  ;D
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2015, 09:20:31 PM »
Evening All

Bridge night tonight!

No, no ... not that kind of bridge! Not the type that involves a deck of cards.

I continued apace with the truss bridge, with approx. 3/4 of one span now complete. There will be two spans in total (one either side of the tracks), so there's quite a way to go still.

My mind started wondering onto the next bridge, and my efforts soon followed. The second bridge will span the entrance to the room (slightly wider than the width of a doorway) and I wanted a different design to the truss bridge, which will be spanning a monster whopping 3 metres. This bridge, in comparison will be just a little over a metre. I had something like the Sydney Harbour Bridge (or should I say the Bridge in Newcastle across the Tyne) in mind - doesn't quite have the same ring to it - but eventually decided unpon an arch under the decking / track. This is to be finalised, however.

With the bridge being constructed from those Manchester famous popsicle lollipop sticks, I knew it was important to come up with a method to get the arch "right" if I was going to have any chance at constructing something that didn't come out of the Heath & Robinson factory. My method was as below (wife's hands get a starring role) ...

The wife held the end of a piece of string a set distance from the entrance to the room. I stood in the entrance with the other end of the string and with her end as the pivot, I proceeded to move left and right, with the string making an arch motion. We adjusted the length of string until I came up with a radius that I was happy with for the arch of the bridge. Having noted the length of the string, we then proceeded to do the same again, but with a pencil attached and a piece of paper underneath. This then gave us the template from which to form the arch.

Below, I give you the lollipop arch!

It has been strengthened with additional lollipop sticks since this picture was taken, which you will see in a future picture.

Cheers

Dan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2015, 12:03:57 PM »
Looking good, Dan :thumbsup:
Did you get a free box of clips with the lollipop sticks? :D

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2015, 03:14:03 PM »
Looking good, Dan :thumbsup:
Did you get a free box of clips with the lollipop sticks? :D

You'd expect a free box or two wouldn't you, but alas no, they didn't come with complimentary bulldog clips.

The wife and I did today, however, thanks to your advice, inact "Operation grab a coffee stirrer" in Costa. And yes, before anyone asks, we did buy a coffee. The amount of money they've relieved me from, I think I'm entitled to the odd coffee stirrer  :wave:

Thinking about it, the amount I've spent there over the past five years or so, I could afford to build the Sydney Harbour Bridge out of coffee stirrers, twice! And in 1:1 scale  :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 03:16:10 PM by DesertHound »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2015, 04:57:39 PM »
Oh heck!
Looks like I've incited you to a life of crime :o

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2015, 09:07:35 PM »
Evening Chaps

Before I start, let me say I have fifteen minutes in which to write this. My boyhood team of Wimbledon (the Wimbledon that actually decided to stay in Wimbledon) are 1-1 at half time with Liverpool and I just cannot miss the second half. Oh how fantastic it would be if the giant slayers could do it again!

Ok, onto Ledginton ... it's been a hard day's night the last few days, but progress has most emphatically been made, with almost no effort being spared. The previous post outlined my methods for the arch bridge - what you'll see below, I hope you'll agree, is an arch bridge!

Planning continued after the previous post, with the focus being on the design for the stringers ...

I wasn't so keen on the second of the two designs, the truss design, and since I am part way through the construction of a monster truss bridge with a single span of three metres, I preferred something different. Therefore I decided to proceed with the first of the two designs above. It also held a special place in that I drew inspiration from the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Bridge in Newcastle over the Tyne (apologies to those of you up in the North East, I don't know what the bridge is called. I should do!)

So forward I marched ... until now it had seemed like plain sailing and everything seemed too easy. This is where it most definitely became more fiddly and the work rate, or should I say progress, slowed dramatically. The time was consumed by measuring, ensuring stringers were aligned, and so on. But persevere I did ...

Having tiled floors is fantastic, they provide a ready made set square from which you can ensure your angles are at 90 degrees.

I'll now leave you with some pleasing pictures (at least they are pleasing to me) af what is almost the finished bridge. As you can see I still need to attach the stringers to one side, and this will be done in due course. I am currently waiting for the arrival of my order of Kato track (which includes the curves) and once this arrives I will be able to attach the stringers on the other side. The track will actually curve off of the bridge about 3/4 of the way down and not proceed from end to end. This is not prototypical but all will become apparent as Ledgington progresses.

We are now five minutes into the second half and you will have to forgive me whilst I now go and shout profusely at the TV on the wall, in the hope that Wimbledon might, just might, pip Liverpool in this FA Cup tie. C'mon the Dons!

I hope you enjoy the pictures ... remember she's not complete yet and some more cross bracing might be added to the top.

Cheers

Dan

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2015, 09:55:05 PM »
Superb stuff and so quick, too!

Look forward to seeing that installed.

How many stick used so far?

Dave G

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2015, 10:09:07 PM »
Thanks Dave!

Just looked in the opened box, used about 550 sticks so far. Don't forget that most of those have been on the truss bridge, to which my attentions will return tomorrow. That's a beast at 3m in span (without any intervening support) and is, how shall we say it, stick intensive!

I'd say the arch bridge above has only "cost" 200 sticks or so.

Yikes - I bought 4000 just in case! Anyone need a bridge made? .... anyone? Anybody? Nothing? No? C'mon!  ;D

Wimbledon lost 2-1 by the way - good effort, they can be proud.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »
A veritable work of art, Dan. Almost as good as the original Tyne Bridge :claphappy:
Where the ends of the sticks overlap are they just glued, or have thought of pinning them also somehow?

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »
Looking very good Dan!

Regards
A Liverpool Fan  :tv:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:14:51 PM by Only Me »

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2015, 10:16:32 PM »
The ends are just glued Mick. It did cross my mind that pinning would be pretty near but a few issues crossed my mind;

1) it's my first project so I wanted to keep construction methods simple
2) I wasn't sure if the sticks would split if I tried to pin them
3) pinning would seriously add to the time element of construction
4) The glue is pretty solid (I know from when I've made a mistake and needed to unpick sticks).

What are your thoughts on pinning the sticks? It did cross my mind and I thought it would be nifty.

Dan

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2015, 10:19:49 PM »
Looking very good Dan!

Regards
A Liverpool Fan  :tv:

:computerangry: :computerangry: :computerangry:  :veryangry:

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal