!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Unitrack System  (Read 30230 times)

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Kato Unitrack System
« on: November 30, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »
I am looking for an easy to use as in lay,plug and play system with reliable running,integral electric points as my electrical knowledge is virtually nil.
This system has the advantage of integral ballast and whilst it may not be the most realistic looking and is of a limited setrack range it seems to have all the advantages that I need with my limited modeling and non existent electrical skills.
It also seems to be reasonably priced.
Does anyone have any experience of using this system or at least some first hand knowledge/experience of this make?
If so could they let me have the benefit of their experience,knowledge or views.
Many thanks.
Les
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:33:34 PM by Sprintex, Reason: Thread title de-capitalised »
Rheingold

Online robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
Re: KATO UNITRACK SYSTEM
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 02:49:22 PM »
Hi Used track and seen large set ups with it and it is fine, cannot recall name of layout at the mo but Kato track with additonal work = painting rail sides and weathered ballast an acceptable lift from train set to model railway is achieveable.

IT is robust and well made despite claims of a limited system it is well thoughtout  and quite adaptable. Several Traders stock it and points look expensive but come ready motored which is reality is a plug and play saving.
Kato also do a tram system and Tomix /tomytec do similar systems  and bus ways so a complex.
Train trax in Surrey , DCC supplies , among others supply in uk. 

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »
Happy user here (mind you I live in Japan so it's hard not to be). The points are very easy to set up and use (none of this messing about with "SEEP" and "frogs" one reads so much about); however the #4 points do occasionally cause problems with certain kinds of stock (steam engines with leading bogies etc.). There's also no double slip, which may make it harder to use space efficiently.

I must admit I've started using Tomix track, which is a similar system, for elevated sections, though this does not appear to be widely available outside Japan.

See the video linked in my footer for an idea of what it looks like in operation (currently nothing fixed down, but even then is surprisingly robust and stable).
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 03:33:17 PM »
I love the stuff, easy to assemble and easy to take down, never had a problem with Kato track or points, i have had about 6 different layouts and I just re use the track.

You can make it look realistic if you are prepared to use your imagination.

Good luck with your purchase you will not be disappointed.

By the way you can bodge #4 points so you do not have any problems it has been covered on the forum somewhere, I have never had any problem with these points at all.
Geoff

Online REGP

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19246
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 03:54:58 PM »
Hi Les

Having never got the hang of flexitrack and finding Peco Set Track to fiddly for my old hands I switched to Kato Unitrack and never looked back.

As others have said it's very robust, easy to assembly & disassemble, some of my locos do have a bit of trouble with #4 points but I am working on that.

It's strong enough for you to be able to make a few cuts in the base of a section so it flexes at the starts an incline.

You can disguise the plastic look by simply painting the points and spraying the rest of the track a suitable colour, maybe Tamiya Red Brown or Railmatch Sleeper Grime, you can even ballast it, if you have the patience.

Ray

Offline gawain

• N Gauge Society Number: 18681
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
There is a double crossover available in the UK.

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 05:28:47 PM »
I am a happy Unitrack user as it is just so easy and reliable to use. The points really are a doddle to set up!

You will find quite a bit of information on the forum about Unitrack so it is well worth searching for it.

Link to posts on the Watton Erith layout which you might find helpful - it shows how to disguise the plasticky nature of the track
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »
I am a happy Unitrack user as it is just so easy and reliable to use. The points really are a doddle to set up!

You will find quite a bit of information on the forum about Unitrack so it is well worth searching for it.

Link to posts on the Watton Erith layout which you might find helpful - it shows how to disguise the plasticky nature of the track

Many thnxs for your comments and indeed all the others also thanks for the reference to Watton Earth post,which was great.
I didn't understand the reference  to disguising the height/profile of the Kato track with foam board perhaps someone who does know what this means/is done could explain and I hadn't realised that Kato produced wooden and concrete sleepered versions of their track.
I will have to be very careful when I choose which to see if each of the ranges have the same range etc.of track sections points etc.
Many thanks.
Les
P.S. A very big thank you to everyone forl the very helpful hints/tips and information to date.A great help. :thankyousign:
Les
Rheingold

Offline silverfox

• Awards
Re: Kato Unitrack System
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 08:36:53 PM »
Hi Les,

I'm also a Kato convert, I'm using it on the Box file layout I'm building, I've tried to disguise the moulded road bed by using milliput modelling putty to 'feather' the edges of the moulded ballast to make it look wider and less uniform.

I then painted the milliput a mid grey and glued some Kato ballast sprinkled on. The whole lot was then weathered by painting the rails with a rusty brown enamel paint and then a wash of thinned rusty brown acrylic paint over the sleepers and roadbed

I'm happy with the way it's turned out and it was fairly straight forward.

Good luck with your progress

Regards

Jason

Offline RHEINGOLD

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 09:09:52 PM »
Hi Jason,
Ah I see,it looks very good indeed and what a realistic appearance you've ended up with,thanks for the excellent explanation and example.
Les
Rheingold

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »
Basically the Kato track has high simulated ballast shoulders and many modellers prefer to bring the surrounding landscape up to track level. When modelling British station platforms this is an absolute necessity to bring the platforms to the correct height.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 10:44:01 PM »
Basically the Kato track has high simulated ballast shoulders and many modellers prefer to bring the surrounding landscape up to track level. When modelling British station platforms this is an absolute necessity to bring the platforms to the correct height.

To be pedantic, when using anything other than Kato platforms. I've got a Tomix platform section temporarily in place with some Kato track and passengers currently have to leap upwards by 20cm over a 50cm gap to board trains.

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 12:00:04 AM »

To be pedantic, when using anything other than Kato platforms. I've got a Tomix platform section temporarily in place with some Kato track and passengers currently have to leap upwards by 20cm over a 50cm gap to board trains.

That is quite a leap by mere mortal n gauge people - 20cm and 50cm  :worried:

cheers John.

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 12:36:40 AM »
Go to some local model railway shows - there is always a Kato layout and you can see it in action.

I have 150' of unit rack and find it a doddle to use, and if you want to reconfigure the lYout ,it takes minutes!

The electrics are all plug'n play and Al points are motorised, including the 4motor double slip. The points are metal frogged and can be powered / unpowered.

There are Kato starter sets from the dealers mentioned, and s/h track is a good buy.
Come on in- the water is lovely!
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 01:19:20 AM »

That is quite a leap by mere mortal n gauge people - 20cm and 50cm  :worried:
That's in n-scale equivalent, if my calculations are correct.

(Also none of my people have wheels so technically aren't n-gauge :P )

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £287.00
Above Goal: £232.00
Site Currency: GBP
522% 
December Donations

Advertise Here