!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longcroft  (Read 111165 times)

Offline Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
Re: Longcroft
« Reply #720 on: January 13, 2020, 12:38:37 AM »
You can always tell what and how much I've done to my layout by the number of IPA bottles on the tracks  :goggleeyes:
Today was mainly the inside track of my 4 circuits which will be some sort of automated shuttle. I've also moved the DMU shed/sidings/yard to the left hand side of this picture (near the syringe) as I realised I'd have a big empty space to use. Trying not to make it look too busy at the same time though so the DMU yard won't be very big. Probably just 3 sheds end to end and a washing plant and fuelling area. Most of the area you see in this picture will be inside a tunnel!

John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #721 on: January 13, 2020, 11:42:18 PM »
No sooner had I removed the IPA when a couple of HSTs arrived to test the track!

However, I sneaked up and put the IPA bottles back down behind them to confuse the pair of them! This now completes the 4 tracks right into the platforms of the main station.

You can see 3 sets of points near the blue PVA bottle which will lead into the DMU yard which will probably have these 3 carriage sheds used for storage and repairs.

I'm really pleased with this side of the layout and the tracklaying is progressing at lightning speed (for me anyway) and apart from the DMU yard all track is now laid in this half with plenty of power droppers fitted at the same time. The 2 Kato tracks will of course be removed eventually but they do currently provide me with tracks for playing testing while I get on with the main layout. Looks a bit different to what you saw @Calnefoxile in December eh?

I'm always open to ideas too so if you think I can fit something in, or need to take it out just let me know. As said before, I don't want it to end up in Squiddy's Oh my god it's full of track thread. Currently all 4 'corners' will be tunnelled to hide what I consider to be unrealistic curves so it could almost be viewed as 4 different layouts when it nears completion. 5 if you include the planned fiddle yard in the middle.
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #722 on: January 15, 2020, 01:51:12 AM »
No track laid tonight and no video  :goggleeyes:

However, I had a major tidy up of tools and bits and pieces so I can now appreciate more the work I have put in recently. I took quite a few pictures too so here goes:

Firstly, the right hand side of the layout, no tools, no wires, just track!

Next, a couple of views of how the station may look with trains at platforms on completion

The DMU shed. I'm not sure it's long enough. May need 1, possibly 2 more sections?

The angled tunnel entrance will look something like this

And finally I had a little play with some polystyrene to work out how to build the tunnel. Everything between the pieces of polystyrene will be in the tunnel, both levels. I'll play around with this a bit more over the next few days as it's a big decision to make with 2 levels involved.

And finally finally, you may have spotted this little fella in 1 or more pictures. Picked up from ebay last week when I made an 'unofficial' offer. I already have one of these but it's DCC and the new one is DC so the DCC version may be sold. Any offers?
John

<*))))><

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #723 on: January 15, 2020, 02:39:19 AM »
Much neater!

I see the pommy beer has the usual head on it (photo 1)  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #724 on: January 15, 2020, 09:17:38 AM »
Hi John

Have been watching your sudden upturn in pace and loving the size of the layout that is emerging. I have a new Pendolino that would love to stretch its legs on a layout like this!

Can I ask, ref the DMU / carriage sheds: Yes I agree it could be longer but seeing as the Kato track is temporary (didnít know that, itís looked at home for a while!) you do have a lot of space there. Yes I know you donít want to fill it with track but there could easily be a modest diesel depot or engineers sidings?

Skyline2uk

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #725 on: January 15, 2020, 11:22:02 PM »
Out of pure interest you have both Peco and Kato Unitrack on your layout. What makes you decide which type to use where?
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #726 on: January 16, 2020, 12:45:07 AM »
Out of pure interest you have both Peco and Kato Unitrack on your layout. What makes you decide which type to use where?

Hi Chris. The 2 lower level circuits of Kato track are purely temporary. They were put in so I could play with test some of my trains until the main layout becomes operational. Once I complete the other end of the station approach they will have to either be removed or reconfigured to only go around half the layout so I can continue laying code 55 track which will be permanent. This is because they will be in the way of laying the code 55 especially where I have built across the loft 'hatch'. The upper level is predominantly code 80 Peco track although I have utilised Kato bridge sections as seen in this post. I used code 80 on this as I had already bought it and didn't really know enough about code 55. It is however a good test track for anything with pizza cutter wheels.
I hope that answers your question fella.
John

<*))))><

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #727 on: January 16, 2020, 01:50:31 AM »
Much neater!

You want beer with a head on it? Here you go, this is more of a Norvern pint although they only drink weak beer up there so theirs doesn't count as beer anyway. Shandy more like  :goggleeyes:

I've been playing around with the construction of the scenic side tonight. The flying (or maybe transport) museum has been reinstated in the corner below the Velux window. The plan is to build it up with polystyrene as shown in the pictures below and then use the large piece of MDF stored in our bedroom which the wife keeps moaning about. So it's a win-win situation. She gets the board out of the bedroom and I have a good flat base to use which will be cut so it can be lifted up to attend to any derailments on either level in the tunnel which will never happen of course. The tunnel is just shorter than a 2+7 HST which I will be running so should be quite realistic in that only the eagle-eyed will spot both power cars of 1 HST at the same time when the tunnel is in use. That's enough from me for now, here's some pictures:

Firstly one of the tunnel entrances. I will probably cut this down at more of an angle though as it looks too high to me.

Then lots of supports for the top level. I originally planned it this high so I could have a removeable section at the front rather than the top to attend to those derailments which will never happen. I'm happy with the height even though the re-railing strategy has changed so will leave it at that.

I have placed some spare cork tiles which I had laying around on the top so I can visualise how it will look with the MDF on top. A couple of aircraft have been placed there to give a better idea of the size of the museum. You can also see the 2 HSTs which just about poke their noses out at each end at the same time.

Now, this is where I take a pot shot at Adam @Skyline2uk

Can I ask, ref the DMU / carriage sheds: Yes I agree it could be longer but seeing as the Kato track is temporary (didnít know that, itís looked at home for a while!) you do have a lot of space there. Yes I know you donít want to fill it with track but there could easily be a modest diesel depot or engineers sidings?

Skyline2uk

Firstly "modest" doesn't exist in my vocabulary I'm afraid. However, I was originally going to have the TMD on the opposite side of the room but I think you've changed my mind tonight. The other side may now go all scenic with fields and stuff as I think this unmodest yard proposal looks quite good. The tracks, sheds, locomotives etc are of course just placed there for effect at the moment and I will need a variety of points and slips in there. I can use the entrance points already installed on the right hand side (originally for the DMU sheds) and also the points adjacent to the station which are hidden from view in this picture. What do you think?

And from the other end. I may also bring a single track access route in from the top right hand corner of this picture under the bridge for the upper level.

And finally for Adam:

Have been watching your sudden upturn in pace and loving the size of the layout that is emerging. I have a new Pendolino that would love to stretch its legs on a layout like this!

Skyline2uk

Thanks for the kind comments regarding size  :o I seem to remember telling you around 5 years ago that you're welcome to come round to 'test' anything you like. I would say you'd need to do it either very soon while the Kato track is still down (this decreases in length almost every week now) or wait until the 2 main loops are complete. The other alternative is if you're going to Calne on Saturday you could hand your Pendolino to me and I'll test and video it for you  :D Mine looks good going round but it's not the Poppylino which I believe yours is. Seriously though, just let me know when you want to come round and we can sort it. I'm around most weekends but not next weekend 24th - 27th.

And finally finally, a short video taken on my phone so apologies for the low quality:
John

<*))))><

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #728 on: January 16, 2020, 02:02:54 AM »
Looking great! :thumbsup:

(See, I ignored the shandy remark)  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #729 on: January 16, 2020, 04:06:15 AM »
Wow. A beast of a depot. Especially like the C130 and Lancaster!  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #730 on: January 16, 2020, 06:07:04 AM »
Would look better with detailing  inspection pits, fuelling point, figures etc to  bring the scene to life

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #731 on: January 16, 2020, 08:23:55 AM »
ďPot shotĒ?!

How rude  :P lol

Yes thanks matey I do indeed recall the kind invite, but the problem with life is that it tends to get in the way and they you get married and then there is this little (even more) loud version of you running around and...well tiny trains have to fight for attention.

I love the new proposed depot, I think it makes more sense being near the station, and having ďcountrysideĒ on the other part of the room gives the trains somewhere to run to / through.

Will leave my Poppylino (yeah thatís what I got, Mrs Skyline approved) at home this weekend ( :P) but will hopefully see you at Calne for a chat.

Skyline2uk 

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #732 on: January 16, 2020, 09:48:33 AM »
Much neater!

You want beer with a head on it? Here you go, this is more of a Norvern pint although they only drink weak beer up there so theirs doesn't count as beer anyway. Shandy more like  :goggleeyes:

I recall many moons ago attending the Theakstons music festival at Masham where Jethro Tull headlined the bill. We had Old Peculiar direct from tankers brought in specially and I quaffed a gallon and survived..............................................................................nearly.

Meanwhile, back to Longcroft and I think the temporary TMD looks just fine and should be made permanent

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #733 on: January 16, 2020, 10:25:16 AM »
I vote for keeping the TMD, it will look stunning when complete.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #734 on: January 16, 2020, 10:03:07 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
    Looking good John, excellent progress   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
         regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £80.00