!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My Garden Railway - 5" Gauge  (Read 21596 times)

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
My Garden Railway - 5" Gauge
« on: September 21, 2014, 11:01:53 AM »
Hello all,

I've had a handful of requests to show my garden railway which I'm currently building.  I've added this thread to 'other hobbies' so that people shouldn't be confused and think it's N!   ;)

I have always wanted to have a garden railway since I was a boy and saw the magnificent loco's at various places - Pecorama, Dungeness (Kent), plus an unknown club in South London..

One day I was searching eBay to see if there was anything reasonably priced when I stumbled across some semi completed wagons.  I had actually been looking daily, but this listing really appealed.  The wagons were poorly built but I realised the potential of the expensive parts - the buffer beams and axles!  The price shot up in the last few minutes, but I was hooked and had to have the final bid. :doh:

Days later the wagons arrived at my work, where I stripped off the parts that I wanted and skipped the rest.  ;)  Here are the parts from one of the wagons.....

The parts all had a light rust on them so must have been stored in a garage.  I gave them a rub down and painted them during my spare time in the evening in my office.  Every morning my colleagues would moan about the paint fumes! :no:  This was the finished look of the buffer beams, with added coupling hooks....

As the weeks went by I managed to acquire the wood that I needed for the pallet vans that I had planned in my head.  I wanted to recreate the Army Pallet Vans that Peco make.  Here is a run down of my progress of making the 3 pallet vans...

First coat of paint, the primer....

First coat of NATO green (really strong stuff)!

By this time I'd realised the need of a loco!  I couldn't afford anything, so persuaded my father that we needed a loco that I saw on eBay.  It was a Maxitrak Simplicity.  Believed to be made in about 1980.  It cost us just over 400, and was just the job.  It was already green, so I created some vinyls to match the army vans....

After many months I was able to afford 10 metres of track.  It's hard work to put together!  I had tried to curve it, but I gave up with poor results, so made them into a straight run once again!!!  Here is a picture with myself and my two boys having a quick go before I went to work.  :)

This was all in the last 12 months.  If there is still interest I'll make another instalment with the progress on the railway itself which we started two months ago. :thumbsup:

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
Re: My Garden Railway - 5" Gauge
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 11:14:56 AM »
Show me more!!

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 11:36:59 AM »
This is awesome. We have an organisation here in my home town who would love to hear from you!

Fancy a move to the Antipodes?

Brilliant.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
Epic. More please.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »
Apart from now knowing you have shares in De Walt, I can just picture you trying to bend 5" gauge track like N gauge flexitrack :D
Looks great, Chris. Will you be running the line into your shed?

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 01:44:25 PM »
Superb stuff Chris, surprised it is not all in NSE livery.    ;)   I did try and get my son-in-law to have a garden railway in there villa as they have the space, he was interested until he found out the likely costs.   :(

When you tried to curve the track, did you look under the sleepers for the little arrow so you were curving it the right way.   :-X

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »
Many thanks gents.  :)  Great to hear that other members are interested in seeing it.

This is awesome. We have an organisation here in my home town who would love to hear from you!

Fancy a move to the Antipodes?

Brilliant.

George

Cheers George.  I'm sticking to the Motherland thanks!  :D

Apart from now knowing you have shares in De Walt, I can just picture you trying to bend 5" gauge track like N gauge flexitrack :D
Looks great, Chris. Will you be running the line into your shed?

:laughabovepost:  I do love my yellow and black power tools!

I have a 'rail bender' for bending the track, but we fell out!!!   ;) :)

No, my workshop is full of tools, and is about a foot lower than the level with the track.  So, next year we hope to add a set of points that will lead to our 'potting shed', which currently holds all of our junk!  The good news about that is that it has a door to the front garden, so could allow for expansion to the front garden.  Don't tell my wife though.....it was hard enough allowing this, and I had to apply the 'oh, look what I've found in the garden technique', in which case was a 10 metre long length of track!!!! :smiley-laughing:  After much talking, a few choice words, some French thrown in, I was allowed! :beers:

Here is the latest garden plan....

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 01:54:44 PM »
Superb stuff Chris, surprised it is not all in NSE livery.    ;)   I did try and get my son-in-law to have a garden railway in there villa as they have the space, he was interested until he found out the likely costs.   :(

When you tried to curve the track, did you look under the sleepers for the little arrow so you were curving it the right way.   :-X

NSE was my back up livery, but I love anything military more. :o :D  If I had a big garden then I would definitely have created some Mk1 coaches, but as the radius of my track is so ridiculously tight I had to make wagons to negotiate them.  I have had major trouble with the latest curves which nearly ended the whole project.  More explanation on that later...... 

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 04:55:32 PM »
If you had drank a few pints of Irn Bru you would have bent those rails no problem  :D

It is good to see this taking shape and I hope the boys love it  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 08:41:06 PM »
How cool  8)

Looking forward to seeing more  :drool:

Paul

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 08:53:57 PM »
Keep it coming Tank, a railway in the garden my wife would have a dicky fit so to speak, nice work bud.
Geoff

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 11:48:17 PM »
I see what you mean about the curves... the one in the bottom left of the plan does look a little tight...  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I won't post too often, as I don't want to upset the N purists! :D  So feel free to ask for future updates.  Here are some more pictures.....

Building the fence using 2nd hand timber from work:-

Grandad and Freddie with his thumb up of approval!  First section of the track welded together.  Trackbed to be levelled and ballasted later.

A 'bulk bags' worth of ballast.  I thought it would take me a couple of hours to move this, but it only took 20 minutes from the front garden.  Recovery afterwards was 2 hours!  :D

Offline Tank

• Administrator
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 10:33:11 AM »
CATASTROPHE!!!   :'(

The pallet vans weren't able to negotiate the tight curves. :doh:  What to do?!  Well after much thinking, the only thing I could do was to replace the axles on the vans with bogies.  An expensive mistake.  This has meant selling a lot of my N gauge models to pay the 650 bill. :worried:

Here is a picture of one with the new bogies fitted (no body fitted obviously!):-

Thankfully they negotiate the curves very well now.   :laugh2:

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 10:48:35 AM »
It is good to see the boys helping out, it is a shame about having to sell some of your n gauge  :'(

I see no reason why this should upset anyone as it is in the correct thread (well so far Paul has left it there  :D ) so please post photographs regularly so we can see it grow and take over your property  :angel:

cheers John.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal