!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Leamouth  (Read 245 times)

Offline ianmianmianm

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Leamouth
« on: December 26, 2019, 06:06:06 PM »
 :)

You may have seen this layout on some of the Micro Layout pages in facebook and on RMWeb. I decided to post here as it's probably not going to be a micro layout for much longer - eventual length is 225cm (7' 6") albeit by only 20cm wide. It is being built on the SMS Layout-in-a-box boards, each 75cm x 20cm. Each board fits in a 22 Litre Really useful box, and the current contstruction is 2 boards, with 2 more due to start. The boards sit on top of each other. There is currently a double deck of 2 (left hand boards) with work on the "middle" double deck to start shortly. The right hand boards will not happen till I am in a permanent location.

Constraints:

- I am not in the UK but on an island with no model shops, and postage from the UK taking 3 weeks, from Japan around 6 weeks. We pay 25-20% duty on arrival.
- The layout needs to come home with me next year, in all likelihood by air and so the 4 boards will, I hope, fit into 4 boxes and each 2 boxes in one large hold suitcase, meaning the whole layout fits into 2 suitcases.
- My prototype is niche. Nothing RTR available except DMUs which still need vinyls. or a respray. Most stock needs 3D printing.
- The board height is 9cm above base level - meaning that above the upper viaduct track level, the height is about 4cm. That means certain scenery items have to unclip - for example, the DLR station and the dark grey office building. I'm using the Tomix building deliberately as the floors are sectional.

Premise:

There is a real life Leamouth in London which is about to be regenerated. In my headcanon, it was regenerated in the 80s as part of Docklands and there was also an original railway link. At some point, it became a ferry terminal for fast ferries running along the Thames, hence the three stations are all terminals.

The era is around 2005 but I will run later earlier and stock, and apply rule 1 now and again

At the moment the track plan is very simple, with 3 independent tracks. The fiddle yard for the high-level track will be some sort of folding appendage that bolts onto the right hand upper board. The left hand viaduct has the rear of the loop of tomix bus system track in. The right hand viaduct has space underneath to store stock (stockboxes for the trains and buses) as does the space behind the tube platform behind the fiddle yard.

Here's where I am up to so far - work started in October 2019 but I had a few scenic items in stock already from an earlier aborted attempt which had to be broken up when I left a different Island home.

Stock - up top, a Class 150 reliveried to Silverlink, a class 313 (N train 3d Print). Waiting for Revolution to do their 313 (please do one in Silverlink lads - even a baseline one to which we can add Silverlink, LO and GW decals). Underground - a 5 car train of D stock in unrefurbished condition. This has Train Tech lighting fitted and runs on a Green Max chassis. DLR - N-train 3D print. Sticking to single unit lengths for now, but the station is futureproofed to allow the platform to be lengthened. Future stock will be livery variants of these two.

Thanks especially  - N-Train, Electra Rail, and all those Shapeways designers (DOO mirrors, benches, escalators, stairs, lift doors, notice boards).

Next job: Concrete viaducts are on the way for the DLR - the station platform will be removable with dressmakers studs. Doors for the lift, a staircase. Finish DLR tracks and conductor rail.

I'm not a particularly gifted modeller and am totally new to N gauge, so this is a learning by screwing up situation.  As time is limited and my skills not great, lots of inaccuracies are present (single unit DLR in 2005, arcade of shops running the length of the arches, DLR station shelter would be longer and spacing between the blue bits would be narrower). Most of all I want to have a bit of fun and want it to clearly be London. I came close to building this as a generic layout with RTR stock and trams which could be anywhere, but decided to at least give the London aspect a try. It can be converted to a different geopraphic location later if needed.... I guess I would have a class 230 all ready to go!

Thanks
Ian

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 06:23:14 PM by ianmianmianm »

Offline ianmianmianm

• Awards
Re: Leamouth
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 06:08:19 PM »
2 more

Offline ianmianmianm

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 06:10:12 PM »
And last 2
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 06:30:05 PM by ianmianmianm »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 06:23:21 PM »
Certainly  have captured the urban feel. Are they scratchbuilt structures ?

Offline ianmianmianm

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 06:37:02 PM »
Certainly  have captured the urban feel. Are they scratchbuilt structures ?

Since you asked......

There is only one scratchbuilt item which is the lift shaft (despite the camera's best efforts to make it look otherwise, it is straight). Everything else is mainly Kato and Tomytec. The arches are a Brawa product with teeny tiny brick courses (cosde 2281, 2282) and various different fittings (solid brick, glass, shop fronts). I used the shop fronts modified with a girder to make the station entrance. The DLR canopy is the OO gauge Bachmann bus shelters. Slightly oversize but actually a really good fit for the platforms. Because of transportability I haven't used and resin buildings. The tube tunnel is mainly printed (I put the print together just in Powerpoint) but am slowly adding more and more 3D items to it.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 06:39:42 PM »
Superb work lighting up the dlr / underground section. Impressive

Offline ianmianmianm

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 07:02:04 PM »
Just realised I referred to the DLR platform but no pics. Here goes. That Starbucks is just plonke there for now - it will in reality be on board 2.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal