!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Thornworth Bridge  (Read 17298 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Thornworth Bridge
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2017, 11:56:59 AM »
Thanks for the correction, but it's going to be worth the wait!  :thumbsup:

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline DaveGlew

• N Gauge Society Number: 28385
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2018, 12:58:54 PM »
 :hellosign:
I've only just joined this forum and I absolutely love what you're doing for Thornworth Bridge - particularly your high spec woodwork.
I would be very interested to know the overall dimensions of the layout please as I see you only need 2 legs, one at each end (my previous layouts are 00 and they needed lots of legs)
Thanks for a great blog.
If it looks right and it works then I'm happy.

Offline jrb

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Aire Valley Railway Modellers' Club
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2018, 06:21:42 PM »
I can't believe it's been over a year since I last posted in this thread! :goggleeyes:

Well, I can, because, apart from cleaning the track in order to get the layout running for our last two open days, I haven't touched it for over a year. I don't know why, I just fell out of love with it...

But! Things are looking up. It all started a few weeks ago, when I exchanged several messages & e-mails with a guy who was interested in buying it. I figured I wasn't doing anything with it, so why not?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, he wanted it more 'finished', and he wanted a few (quite major) changes making to it. I had offered to finish it electrically (mainly fit servos to the fiddleyard points, and to the scissor crossing, make the mimic panel, etc.) but it was clear that, even then, it wouldn't really be quite what he was looking for. Ideally, he wanted a modern image, 4-track roundy with a large TMD, which this most definitely is not!

But the process of e-mailing back & forth, sending pictures, discussing options, etc, got my juices flowing again (ooh err!) and I figured if I was offering to work on it for someone else, why wouldn't I work on it for myself? So I made a decision, put a couple of other projects on hold, and would like to announce (given that statistically you're far more likely to stick to a commitment if you proclaim it publicly):

I've decided that I will get the layout 100% electrically finished by the end of this year!!!  :claphappy:

(and maybe a bit more scenery, too!).

So, I took an inventory of everything I had, and what I needed. It turns out that I've got exactly the right number of servos I need for the points (virtually guaranteeing that one of them will be faulty!) and I've got almost all of the switches, LEDs and resistors needed for the mimic panel. I ordered some perspex off eBay, too.

Then, it struck me; the sticking point would be the scissor crossing. In order to fit the servos & mechanism under it, I need to stick it down. In order to stick it down, I need to permanently fix the viaduct in place. In order to do that, I need to paint it. The viaduct and coal drops, whilst separate at the moment, would have been built together, and I want the finish to match, meaning the coal drops need painting at the same time. But I can't paint those until I put all the details on them...

So, in order to complete the electrics, I set about detailing the coal drops!

Here's how they have been ever since I started:

I had taken some pictures of the coal drops in Sowerby Bridge just a couple of days before, so used them as a bit of inspiration:

I decided I wanted just the 2 cells on the left to be still in use, with the other 4 in various states of disrepair. Using the above pictures as a guide, I constructed some innards using plastic strip:

I realised that it was a long walk for the coalman from the wagon at the top down to the bottom, so I cut a gap into the wall, and added some steps too:

Once the timberwork was done on the first 2 cells, I used some 5 thou brass to make up some chutes. They were just cut & bent up by eye, as you can tell by the fact that one of them is considerably bigger than the other 3, but I don't think it's a big enough issue to try to rework it:

For the painting, I decided to airbrush them. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos recently of 1/35th scale armour builds, and wanted to try a similar technique, which is to spray a dark colour as a 'shadow coat', then just a thin top coat, allowing some of the darker colour to show through. This gives some nice variations of tone:

I'm not sure how much of this variation will show through once all the various washes/drybrushing has been done, but we'll see!

It was at this point that I noticed two things; firstly, the viaduct (which had been sprayed long, long ago with Halfords primer) seemed to be reacting in a strange way, and the paint took on a strange texture & wasn't adhering properly. Secondly, I'd got carried away with the painting process & forgotten to glue on the capping stones!

I removed the viaduct again, took off the cork trackbed, and washed it with a scouring pad. A scrubbing brush (or an old toothbrush) would have been better, but I didn't have either. This removed any contaminants that may have adhered in the last year or so, and some of the paint, so it was then sprayed with the dark brown again. Once that was dry, I added all the capping stones:

That's as far as I got, so next up I need to spray the cappings and put the lighter colour on the viaduct, then add washes & drybrushing to the whole lot, and detail paint the timber coal drop internals.

Then I can fix it down, get the track fixed down, and fit the servos...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 06:23:07 PM by jrb, Reason: Spelling »

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2018, 06:27:10 PM »
Excellent to see renewed progress on this very nicely detailed layout.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2018, 06:28:34 PM »
Glad you decided to continue with the layout, and great job of the coal drops.
Quite a big jump at the bottom of the steps, though ;)

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2018, 07:47:17 PM »
Love it when someone gets their mojo back and looking forward to seeing this layout blossom, those coal drops are starting to look really good.    :thumbsup:

Offline jrb

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Aire Valley Railway Modellers' Club
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2019, 07:05:49 PM »
Well, it's been quite a while...  :-[

It's been over a year since my last update, and in that time I've done almost nothing to the layout. I haven't got the electrics finished as planned, though I have weathered the coal drops/viaduct. That's the extent of my work on it :( Life has taken over, and I really don't think I'm likely to have the time, motivation or money to finish this layout. Certainly not all three of those at the same time!

So the upshot is, I've decided to try & sell it (this isn't a sales post BTW, just an update). If I can't sell it, I'm going to have to strip it & sell off all the pointwork, etc (which would be a shame, but I need to get rid of it one way or the other).

It will be up & running, possibly for the last time at our open day tomorrow - AVRMC Summer Open Day - third floor of Melbourne House (opposite Dalton Mills), Dalton Lane, KEIGHLEY BD21 4JH. Open 10am - 4pm :thumbsup: So come along and see it whilst you can!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2019, 07:32:10 PM »
you have put a lot of effort into such a lovely layout. its a shame and will be if you do sell, can i please say do not break it up, put everything into the original boxes, storage boxes etc, slide the board behind / under a bed / cupboard etc. you may wish to return when pressures ease. that is what i did a few years ago, now look where we are - on the forum. its just life gets in the way and sometimes we have decisions. wish you well with your decision

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2019, 08:28:51 PM »
you have put a lot of effort into such a lovely layout. its a shame and will be if you do sell, can i please say do not break it up, put everything into the original boxes, storage boxes etc, slide the board behind / under a bed / cupboard etc. you may wish to return when pressures ease. that is what i did a few years ago, now look where we are - on the forum. its just life gets in the way and sometimes we have decisions. wish you well with your decision

Seconded in every respect.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything