!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Class 158 problems  (Read 4591 times)

Offline rgsimulations

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Class 158 problems
« on: August 28, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »
Hi all hope someone here can help

I have got a Class 158 Grafar northern rail loco

the train was moving fine then all of a sudden it has stopped and wont budge gave it a little nudge nothing

there was no clicking sound so guess that rules out a split gear

i have held the two power cables on either side of the axels i can hear the motors trying to kick in but nothing

took body have had a look see if anything was jammed nothing looked at the little black poles there in the correct place and locked in the spinning thing that moves them

when i hold the power cables to the axels one of the gold colour spindle things you can see rotaes the other does not

any idea how to get this train moving again folks

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
Re: Class 158 problems
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:25:13 PM »
Send it to BR Lines?

Offline terrysoham

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22528
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
hi,

Maybe there is a member of this forum lives nearby and would be prepared to help.   Perhaps you could indicate roughly where you located and ask for help.

Just a thought.

Regards

Terry
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of High Lodge logging railway (009) and in the process of building a new layout based on Soham in 1944

Offline rgsimulations

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:09:19 PM »
ok got it working again i braved the dreaded thing of N gauge opened it up one of the little black spindles was stiff so i twisted it and the axel started to rotate had a closer look i looks like one of the little black cogs that spins the brass spindles has a bent tooth.  It is running again so looks like i may need a knew axel soon for it

where is the best place to get a complete boggie i can replace this one from for the farish 158???

Offline rgsimulations

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:37:41 PM »
and its stopped again lol

ok had another look deffo got a loose tooth in a cog that is causing it to jam up

is it possible to purchase one of these (circled in red) the whole bogie for the 158 that i can just replace this damaged one with a new one to get this train running smoothly

if so anyone know where i can get it from and how much roughly

thanks for the help so far people

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:21:57 PM »

if so anyone know where i can get it from and how much roughly

No - but having looked at your pic link I now know how to trick my body into losing weight :o
Seriously though, many folks have had great success in getting replacement bogies direct from Bachmann so it may be worth giving them a call to check availability and cost.

Offline Wingman mothergoose

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Not a help I know, but my 'class 158 problems' are always the non working air conditioning or alternator excitation CB tripped type ;-)

Chris

Offline RussellH

• Trade Count: (+9)
    • Bridgebury gate
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 10:21:51 PM »
Spares from Bachmann service via....

Bachmann.Service@bachmann-europe.co.uk

or use the contact page on their website.

Regards
Russ

Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 12:46:14 AM »
A whole bogie will be expensive, so it may be worth investigating - it could be as simple as a piece of debris in the drive, or a split gear. If it's a split gear you can replace the wheelset far more cheaply than the bogie - you just need to pop off the bogie sideframe and swap out the offending axle. BR Lines or Bachmann spares will be able to supply the necessary part.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 01:49:38 AM »
Yep, I agree with the above post. If the armature was attempting to rotate as you said originally, then as Dr All says, sounds like just something jamming. It's probably not necessary to replace the entire bogie.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline RussellH

• Bridgebury gate
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 09:09:01 AM »
A whole bogie will be expensive, so it may be worth investigating - it could be as simple as a piece of debris in the drive, or a split gear. If it's a split gear you can replace the wheelset far more cheaply than the bogie - you just need to pop off the bogie sideframe and swap out the offending axle. BR Lines or Bachmann spares will be able to supply the necessary part.

Cheers,
Alan

True, but the OP asked...

is it possible to purchase one of these (circled in red) the whole bogie for the 158 that i can just replace this damaged one with a new one to get this train running smoothly
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

www.bridgeburygate.com

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »

Absolutely, but why not try and save the OP some money by nailing the problem and only replacing the components that need to be!  :thumbsup:

Complete bogie is £17.35 from BR Lines, replacement wheelset is £2.85 and a little fiddling to remove some grit is £0  ;) .... Bachmann prices are likely to be less, but still a potentially expensive replacement when it's likely to be unnecessary.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:36:39 AM by Dr Al »

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline RussellH

• Bridgebury gate
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »

Absolutely, but why not try and save the OP some money by nailing the problem and only replacing the components that need to be!  :thumbsup:

Complete bogie is £17.35 from BR Lines, replacement wheelset is £2.85 and a little fiddling to remove some grit is £0  ;) .... Bachmann prices are likely to be less, but still a potentially expensive replacement when it's likely to be unnecessary.

Cheers,
Alan

Yep - always nice to get it done cheaper and a whole bogie is not cost effective if its just one gear however the OP would have indicated his willingness to take it to bits if he felt comfortable doing so. Maybe with some encouragement and guidance? (a forum search may turn up enough info on gear replacement)

Replies 2 and 3 have already offered forum help and brlines as alternative fixes and not just spares suppliers.

If he's anywhere in Somerset drop it into Bridgwater models and it will get to me.

Russ

www.bridgeburygate.com

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 10:19:45 AM »
If anywhere in Hertfordshire drop it into KS Models and it will get to me likewise ;)

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »
Maybe with some encouragement and guidance? (a forum search may turn up enough info on gear replacement)

Already offered in terms of wheelset replacement. OP seems fairly adept at disassembly of the chassis from the snap, so I'm sure that changing a wheelset or gear will prove a simple task to them - I'd encourge the OP to investigate the precise problem further and post back in due course for any further advice!

Cheers,
Al

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal