!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: N Gauge review No 3 of Dapol of BR Standard 9F class locomotives  (Read 10092 times)

Offline Paddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
Re: N Gauge review No 3 of Dapol of BR Standard 9F class locomotives
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 10:45:32 PM »
Sadly I have had too many poor experiences with Dapol steam locos.  It was hard but I decided to pass on their A4, A2 and Britannias.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 12:19:50 AM »
I ask all of the above because I have two 9Fs from the first batch. They look fantastic, but slow running is pretty poor (especially dead crawl)

The motor used is a Tomix 5 pole unit. This is quite sticky at low speed and cogs between poles quite badly. There are other Tomix motors, in particular the M-5 skew wound 3 pole unit and this is identical in terms of dimensions, frame used. Only the internal armature is different.

I've replaced my 2 2nd batch model's motors with Tomix M-5 motors which immediately improved their creep performance.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 12:25:11 AM »
Would Farish consider a coreless motor loco drive 9F do you think?

Sadly no. Whilst it may be superior (particularly the first batch Dapol which were very bad with steamroller wheels, front bogie issues and very sticky, poor low speed motors) Dapol have beaten them to it, and the later batches of 9Fs are better (the current ones use the better super-creep motor).

Farish are much more likely to consider something like the 8F I'd have thought, given they have a lot of parts they may be able to use from the WD.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Roy L S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 09:00:54 AM »
Would Farish consider a coreless motor loco drive 9F do you think?

Sadly no. Whilst it may be superior (particularly the first batch Dapol which were very bad with steamroller wheels, front bogie issues and very sticky, poor low speed motors) Dapol have beaten them to it, and the later batches of 9Fs are better (the current ones use the better super-creep motor).

Farish are much more likely to consider something like the 8F I'd have thought, given they have a lot of parts they may be able to use from the WD.

Cheers,
Alan

Not so sure about that personally, but maybe not for a bit yet.

I understand Bachmann were royally hacked off when Dapol got the drop on them.

There is also precedent. The Dapol B1 got to Market first (just) but was thoroughly trounced by the  Farish model when it arrived subsequently such that there is plenty of Dapol stock still around and they can be had heavily discounted (and on the Dapol sales stands at shows).

I am persuaded now not to consider going for another Dapol 9F, but were Farish to bring one out tomorrow to the standard and spec of the WD I would order two in a heartbeat (And I know fellow Club members who would have them too). You can't really run our Club N layout Rugby Central without 9Fs but the Dapol ones are simply not up to it.

Regards

Roy

Regards

Roy

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »
There is also precedent. The Dapol B1 got to Market first (just) but was thoroughly trounced by the  Farish model when it arrived subsequently such that there is plenty of Dapol stock still around and they can be had heavily discounted (and on the Dapol sales stands at shows).

I think the difference is that both companies were working on the model at the same time and therefore followed through. Farish hadn't started the 9F, so I can understand them dropping it - the market simply isn't big enough for whichever model gets largely deemed as inferior, as the discounted B1s show...

I am persuaded now not to consider going for another Dapol 9F

Personally I wouldn't recommend the first batch models, but the second batch (first round of 92220 unweathered, 92233 and some others) ones were much better (far superior wheels, slightly less sticky batch of motors, sprung bogie). The third (these were the first round of weathered examples) and 4th (discussed here) batch models have the super creep motor and better painted valve gear.

I can understand why many are put off by the first batch models - I had one of these and it was possibly the worst new loco I've ever bought. It took quite a bit of time before I decided to risk buying a second batch model after disposing of the first. These have been much better (a few minor issues such as pickups not making contact on the drivers on one of them). I never have any issues with them, though recently I did swap the motors out as above for even better performance.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:35:28 AM by Dr Al »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal