!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

N gauge Pendolino

Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
68 (38.4%)
No I wouldn't
78 (44.1%)
I have voted on the RMWeb poll so cannot vote here
31 (17.5%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new approach  (Read 365109 times)

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2014, 05:21:48 PM »
Although it is completely not in either my time period or area, I would be prepared to buy one just to see it made and you never know, I may give up kettles one day.   :)

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2014, 06:31:09 PM »
Caz
It's perfectly ok to own a pendo and still have kettles, you don't have to do one exclusively.
As long as its N  :NGaugersRule:

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Online Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2014, 08:03:02 PM »

Hello Alan,

You make some good points, and they are similar to the concerns I had before deciding to get involved with this.

In terms of project delivery, both. Mike and I have done this with a variety of models for the NGS via both Dapol and Farish.  I am confident I can take care of package design and marketing while Mike has experience in budget controls and websites. We'll do all this sort of stuff unpaid, thus saving a relatively small but significant amount  to keep the pledge level as low as possible.

Similarly, rather than going it alone we are utilising Dave Jones's expertise and links with particular factories in China. Both Dave, and as importantly the factory, have a proven track record in producing high quality models in N - most notably perhaps the Class 52 western.

On top of this, for DJM there is the prize of this model joining his range in the future.  Not only does this allow him to subsidise the Kickstarter project to a considerable degree (bearing costs of shipping, taxes etc) but it's also a very strong incentive to succeed. Plus once the project is underway we would be covered by the same financial protections that DJM use for their own models in event of the factory burning down or some other unforeseen calamity.

The thing about Kickstarter is that once the funding is there there is no advantage to anyone in the supply chain for the project not to deliver.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2014, 08:04:37 PM »
I don't think fraud is the problem - it's the 'Dave Jones taken ill' problem that is more of a concern.

I'm hoping it works well. My own rule of thumb is 'would I buy this off the people named via ebay', which is really not much different!

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »
God I hope not, unless you have me as. Marked man? Lol :angel:

Mind you..............

N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Offline Zakalwe

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2014, 08:29:13 PM »
I work in Information services and a number of my smaller projects are turning grey area IT into enterprise solutions.

these are typically apps that one person has come up with but need to be hardened and made supportable, the question we most commonly ask is the what happens if Dave is hit by a bus.....as all knowledge of the product is held in one brain :) and not properly documented

In this project I think that is less of an issue as you have 3 people putting it together I would encourage them to have a shared knowledge and be as transparent as possible (ie a good communication plan :)) so if one is indisposed everything doesn't fail
“I just think people overvalue argument because they like to hear themselves talk.”

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2014, 08:50:47 PM »
the question we most commonly ask is the what happens if Dave is hit by a bus.....

Be OK if it's a Farish bus, they're underscale so won't hurt so much ;)

Paul

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2014, 06:00:23 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has completed the survey - it is already starting to provide some useful information which will help us decide on the specification (albeit on a relatively small sample size!).

If there is more interest in the project please do take a couple of minutes to fill in the survey - it is only short!

http://www.ngaugependolino.com/n-gauge-pendolino-survey/

(And please sign up to our newsletter so that it is easier to keep you informed when the project goes properly live!)

Many thanks

Mike

Offline PostModN66

• N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2014, 06:26:53 PM »
Mike,

Done the survey - but one thing slipped my mind - will capability to take 9" curves be an issue do you think?

Cheers  Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2014, 07:19:17 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has completed the survey - it is already starting to provide some useful information which will help us decide on the specification (albeit on a relatively small sample size!).

If there is more interest in the project please do take a couple of minutes to fill in the survey - it is only short!

(And please sign up to our newsletter so that it is easier to keep you informed when the project goes properly live!)

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

I think I have completed it correctly. While not able to commit to a full 9 car set at £250, a shorter 5 car one I could probably justify (assuming it would come in at a proportionately lower price).

Regards

Roy

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2014, 07:28:19 PM »

Many thanks

Mike

I think I have completed it correctly. While not able to commit to a full 9 car set at £250, a shorter 5 car one I could probably justify (assuming it would come in at a proportionately lower price).

Thanks Roy - provided between us we can work out a sensible way of managing orders for incomplete sets then we will try to offer a shortened set (and yes, it would be lower priced).  We've got to see what is possible with Dave but we certainly have it in mind.

Done the survey - but one thing slipped my mind - will capability to take 9" curves be an issue do you think?

Hi Jon

Good point! The intermediate coaches should squeeze round 9 inch curves (as they are roughly the same length as a Voyager car), the driving cars might be slightly more problematic as they are 25m coaches (as opposed to 23.9m). We will have to investigate.

Cheers, Mike

Offline PostModN66

• N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2014, 07:54:22 PM »
Good point! The intermediate coaches should squeeze round 9 inch curves (as they are roughly the same length as a Voyager car), the driving cars might be slightly more problematic as they are 25m coaches (as opposed to 23.9m). We will have to investigate.

Fingers crossed - the layout is already built!  I wouldn't mind doing some minor mods (to the Pendo) but it would be nice not to have to.

By the way, my "Eurostar" takes the 9" curves with no problem despite the instructions saying otherwise.

Cheers

Jon   :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2014, 08:05:49 PM »
Eurostars are shorter bodies than a Pendolino (shorter than a Mk3 IIRC) so I wouldn't have expected them to have a problem!

Cheers, Mike

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »
Would it not be best to ensure it does go round 9" curves as surely one piece of the target market will be youngsters starting out with a small oval of track such that they can have one of their favourite trains going round. More experienced modellers would benefit from this in the sure knowledge larger layouts would cope better :hmmm:

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2014, 10:06:57 PM »
Would it not be best to ensure it does go round 9" curves

Nobby

As I've already said, if possible then that will be the case but it would not be the first (or last) model that does not go round 9" curves - there are plenty out there already which don't like 9" curves.

We need to check whether it is physically possible for such a long coach to go round 9" curves.

Cheers, Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal