!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 255451 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #1065 on: January 14, 2017, 12:10:24 PM »
Realistically, if 34008 is back, in Prague, by summer, I'll be very happy, Jerry. (From mid-February to mid-July I have next to no free time.) However, if it is back before May, I can celebrate the anniversary of 34008's hauling of the "Cornubian Railtour" of 3rd May 1964, marking the end of the steam era on the Cornish main line.

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1066 on: January 16, 2017, 11:02:52 AM »
Whilst I've not had the time to look at every page of this long thread the standard of work on your latest models, Gideon, is really superb.

With the old Graham Farish pannier tanks, have you ever thought about adding the handrail on the front? Prototype here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_03_2015/post-1-0-04290900-1425385975.jpg

(At least one NGF member did and it makes a real difference, as does adding the missing smokebox numberplate for the BR livery ones.) GF only moulded them on the sides of the tanks.

I ask because I have a BR Black one (DCC-fitted by Douglas of Wickness) which is missing the rail and the numberplate. However, I need to find new cabside numberplates, too, for 9467 as it was allocated to Plymouth Laira from April 1952 to May 1962!

However, my original request was 34008 "Salisbury" bought, as my first Bulleid Light Pacific, years ago, on eBay, as a non-runner, that had been incompletely repainted, renumbered and renamed. I now realise the significance of the loco. as 34008 was the last BR steam loco. to run on the mainline in the far Southwest. (I didn't at the time but took pity on the loco. from the seller's description.) Bob at BRLines brought it back to full working order then Douglas will DCC-fit it, soonish, then it will, I intend, go to you for turning out in ex-works BR Lined Green livery with BR Late Crest livery, still as 34008 "Salisbury", of course. I'm sure you'll do a superb job. It really needs a new bogie, by N Brass, which I have and detailing (the parts for which I also have).

Thanks Chris! :)

I like the idea of adding the hand-railing to the front of the panniers - I'll give that a go!

Looking forward to getting "Salisbury" as and when you're ready.

Cheers,

Gideon
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1067 on: January 18, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »
And some more...

The B12 nears completion. I had to do some emergency fettling to get the chassis to fit, which means I've got to re-do some paintwork and re-varnish (and give her some front pony wheels!) but looking really nice:

Class 50 "Valiant" - finally finished in Dutch livery:

The streamlined German loco with the melted middle is coming along - holes drilled, bits added, boiler bands made, gaps filled. Looks a bit rough now but with primer and some rivet decals....

The B12 next to some 47 shells I'm repainting. Ignore that big green thing in the background. It's a figment of you imagination. Oh, alright, it's a OO Gauge Scotsman I bought for my boys. Sorry...  :-[

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #1068 on: January 18, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »
Loving the work as usual Oz, especially impressed at the restoration work on the formerly melted German steam loco  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1069 on: January 23, 2017, 11:52:13 AM »
Nice quiet Sunday to myself = time to finish some locos and a bit more scenification to the test track...

The B12 is done - really pleased with this one, it's come out very nicely and the extra detailing really makes it:

I also finished the J39...:

...and completed the repair work on the German streamlined loco. What a difference a coat of primer makes! A coat of gloss varnish and some rivet decals next...

After all that I got my scenic head on and did some ballasting and ground-laying on the test track:

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #1070 on: January 23, 2017, 12:22:55 PM »
Drooling over that B12!!!! Looks like that could be an expensive ebay purchase.
Oh well, its only money and I'm quite partial to a diet of bread and water for a few days. Nice one Gideon.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #1071 on: January 23, 2017, 12:56:20 PM »
The test track is looking really good you will have to start posting more details about it :)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1072 on: January 23, 2017, 01:32:24 PM »
The test track is looking really good you will have to start posting more details about it :)

Thanks, Paul! :)

I'm want to get the test track fully finished (New Year's resolution!) so I'll be doing bits and pieces to it over the coming weeks - I'll post pics of progress! And when that's done I shall wheel in the BIG layout from the garage and start on that again...

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #1073 on: January 23, 2017, 01:36:46 PM »

I'm want to get the test track fully finished (New Year's resolution!) so I'll be doing bits and pieces to it over the coming weeks - I'll post pics of progress! And when that's done I shall wheel in the BIG layout from the garage and start on that again...

What big layout? Have you ben keeping secrets?

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1074 on: January 23, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »

This one! :) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=20484.60

It needs a major re-design of the elevated section but it could be a cracker eventually.

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #1075 on: January 23, 2017, 01:45:32 PM »

Get working on the right away, its looks like it will be a belter

This one! :) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=20484.60

It needs a major re-design of the elevated section but it could be a cracker eventually.

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1076 on: January 26, 2017, 10:39:05 AM »
I've been doing some incredibly intricate rivet decal work on the streamlined German loco - not good for the eyesight!  :confused1: It should look great when it's painted though:

A skirted A4 and a 27 get the blues...

More soon! :)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1077 on: January 26, 2017, 11:31:40 AM »
That riveting work is amazing. The other locos. are looking very good, too.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you getting to work on 34008 "Salisbury" in a month or so.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #1078 on: January 26, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »
I've been doing some incredibly intricate rivet decal work on the streamlined German loco - not good for the eyesight!  :confused1: It should look great when it's painted though:

Forgive me if I asked this before (as I may have done) - but who does the rivet decals?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #1079 on: January 26, 2017, 12:18:54 PM »

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00