!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 255450 times)

Offline MalcolmInN

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #795 on: March 22, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »
Maybe a rub down with IPA in the winter months would be kinder... certainly warmer... ;)
warmer ? are we perhaps forgetting "Latent Heat of Evaporation", quite a cooling effect when the alcohol evaporates. Oh, unless one were to follow the dousing of IPA with an immolation ?  :D

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #796 on: March 22, 2016, 03:41:28 PM »
That's all very well PP, but don't you find the scrub down with the wire wool makes your eyes water?  :worried:

Dave G

Dave

Its hard to tell the difference between tears or my eyes watering, I have a hard life  :'( :'(

My heart bleeds for you!  :P

Dave G

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #797 on: March 22, 2016, 10:34:31 PM »
I'm only allowed a cardboard box when I spray  :'( :'(

and I mean spray paint, for all you mucky minded chaps out there  :angel:

That's what I was using, but I found particularly with varnish that it would all come billowing straight back out at me, coating me/my glasses/clothes/desk/carpet in sticky unpleasantness.

You could sell the idea to SWMBO on the basis that it's less messy... ;)

I fitted an old kitchen ventilation unit to the top of my cardboard box and netted it outside - keep an eye on local skips! Seems to work well.
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #798 on: March 24, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »
Just arrived in the post and looking great in the (simulated) sunshine :)

Not had a chance to test run her yet, but she looks great!

Offline Ozymandias

• N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #799 on: March 24, 2016, 12:57:59 PM »

:) Glad she got to you safely!
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline MrDobilina

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #800 on: March 24, 2016, 02:07:54 PM »

Wow looking good! Haven't seen many locos in white

On a side now, is that bridge scratch built? great waterfall as well!

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #801 on: March 24, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »

Wow looking good! Haven't seen many locos in white

On a side now, is that bridge scratch built? great waterfall as well!

It's "photographic grey" (there was a bit of a discussion about it in this thread when Oz was painting her).

The bridge is the Ratio kit + extension but chopped down a bit to suit the height needed. Then weathered a lot :) The layout's in a bit of a state at the moment, but still has the 1 photogenic spot ;)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #802 on: March 29, 2016, 10:18:19 AM »
The start of The Plan...

I live close to the Bluebell Railway, and whenever I take my boys on it they say "Daddy, you should make an N Gauge version of..." whichever loco is pulling us that day.

So... that's what I'm going to do - model all the locos on the Bluebell for when I finally get my layout completed, starting with this, which will become Southern S15 number 847:

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #803 on: March 29, 2016, 10:25:22 AM »
The start of The Plan...

I live close to the Bluebell Railway, and whenever I take my boys on it they say "Daddy, you should make an N Gauge version of..." whichever loco is pulling us that day.

So... that's what I'm going to do - model all the locos on the Bluebell for when I finally get my layout completed, starting with this, which will become Southern S15 number 847:

That's one hell of a project - I believe there are currently around 30 locos on the Bluebell!!
Even if you do one every 3 months that's around 8 years to produce the lot. Good luck with that.
 :) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #804 on: March 29, 2016, 11:35:10 AM »
The start of The Plan...

What a brilliant idea, and it should keep you out of trouble, now all I need to do is to find something to keep me out of trouble???

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #805 on: March 29, 2016, 11:37:30 AM »
The start of The Plan...

What a brilliant idea, and it should keep you out of trouble, now all I need to do is to find something to keep me out of trouble???

I fear I may not be of help keeping you out of trouble, Paul - I have more LMS Jubes on the go, too... ;)

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #806 on: March 29, 2016, 12:18:15 PM »
You appear to have a bit of a mixture there, the loco body looks like the Langley, the tender looks like the BHE one.

Difficult to tell from the photo but spacing and size of the drivers doesn't look quite right, motion is Fleischmann though so it probably is the photo.

For 847 (or any of the Maunsell built ones) the cab roof and chimney of the Langley body is wrong. A good source of pics is SEmG

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/s15class_1.html

My attempt (wrongly numbered) at a Maunsell  version using Langley and BHE bits and with a Minitrix tender drive instead of the Fleischmann. One problem I found was the bogie side frames, I had Worsley works do some etched ones, and added some cast Axle boxes and springs. (BHE or Ultima)

If I was doing one now, I would use a Union Mills drive with an extra axle added, the Minitrix drive is a bit wide for the BHE tender, so needs either some filing or making up slightly wider ends.

The same kit mix of Langley and BHE will also make an H15 using the Minitrix 4-6-0 chassis but with Fleischmann motion as the Minitrix motion would "drive" the front drivers

Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #807 on: March 29, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »
The start of The Plan...

I fear I may not be of help keeping you out of trouble, Paul - I have more LMS Jubes on the go, too... ;)

You have more Jubes than me its not fair  :'(

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #808 on: March 29, 2016, 12:37:06 PM »
You appear to have a bit of a mixture there, the loco body looks like the Langley, the tender looks like the BHE one.

Difficult to tell from the photo but spacing and size of the drivers doesn't look quite right, motion is Fleischmann though so it probably is the photo.

For 847 (or any of the Maunsell built ones) the cab roof and chimney of the Langley body is wrong. A good source of pics is SEmG

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/s15class_1.html

My attempt (wrongly numbered) at a Maunsell  version using Langley and BHE bits and with a Minitrix tender drive instead of the Fleischmann. One problem I found was the bogie side frames, I had Worsley works do some etched ones, and added some cast Axle boxes and springs. (BHE or Ultima)

If I was doing one now, I would use a Union Mills drive with an extra axle added, the Minitrix drive is a bit wide for the BHE tender, so needs either some filing or making up slightly wider ends.

The same kit mix of Langley and BHE will also make an H15 using the Minitrix 4-6-0 chassis but with Fleischmann motion as the Minitrix motion would "drive" the front drivers

Thanks Mike!

I've notice that the tender on the real 847 is different to the one this model came with, it's much flatter-sided and has three cylindrical tanks on top. I may have to make this from scratch or butcher and old Lima Fowler tender. The funnel's too spindly as  well. It doesn't have to be rivet-perfect, but I want to try and do the original justice!

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #809 on: March 29, 2016, 01:26:52 PM »
Looking closer, the tender you have does look more like the Langley Drummong pattern "watercart" one that has had bogie side frames added. The BHE one has the flared top of the earlier Urie version, BHE do the tender body as a kit labelled as being for the N15, the same tender was used by the Urie H15, N15 and S15, you should be able to modify it without much problem, bit of filing and maybe a bit of filler (or build up with lo melt solder).

The 3 cylinders are vacuum reservoirs, any suitable diameter rod (or tube with the ends filled) and a piece of fine wire over the top.

Re your surplus of Jubes, I've used the loco chassis under the BHE N15 kit with a UM drive, makes a far better King Arthur than the old Poole Black 5 chassis with incorrectly spaced small wheels did.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal