!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 254019 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #420 on: June 01, 2015, 11:06:41 AM »

The latter was a  :censored: of a job and means that there is now more of my skin on the rocker arm screws and fan blades than there is on my knuckles. Ouch.

But I feel I have Achieved Things. And I have the cuts, bruises and scars to prove it! :)

Bah - just a mere scratch compared to 'Fishplate Finger' :laugh: :P

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #421 on: June 01, 2015, 11:33:58 AM »

The latter was a  :censored: of a job and means that there is now more of my skin on the rocker arm screws and fan blades than there is on my knuckles. Ouch.

But I feel I have Achieved Things. And I have the cuts, bruises and scars to prove it! :)

Bah - just a mere scratch compared to 'Fishplate Finger' :laugh: :P

Ha!  :laughabovepost: I wish that were true, Nobby - my hands feel like they've been dipped in a blender. And then sprayed with airbrush cleaner... (if you've ever got this stuff in a cut, you'll know...)  :'(
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #422 on: June 02, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »
Some photographic updates:

The LNER 2-6-4 has its new Lima pony wheels and looks loads better - just the buffer beams to paint, a final track test and it'll be ebay-bound:

The E5 is getting there. Slowly... Lots of careful work with a fine permanent market pen and a very thin paintbrush to go! (Oh, and some cab steps!)

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

As is the B1...

Not much to look at, I know, but after a couple of days in a vinegar/lemon juice bath these Lima weights are all but free of oxidization and (more importantly!) they fit in the loco again!

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #423 on: June 02, 2015, 10:31:15 AM »
The LNER 2-6-4 really looks the business with the new Lima pony wheels.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #424 on: June 04, 2015, 10:21:44 AM »
So many projects, so little time...!

Just some of the ones I've got on the go at the moment: the E5, the Royal Scot, a Jubilee, two Panniers, Warship, a Jinty, the J39, the blue Castle, Sir Nigel and the LNER 2-6-4.

And then there's two Lima 2-6-4's, another golden ochre class 31, the N7, a 2-10-0 WWII Kriegslok, a Lima class 86 and a couple more Jubes amongst (many!) others. I really have to curb my ebay habit... ;)

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #425 on: June 04, 2015, 12:50:31 PM »
I really have to curb my ebay habit... ;)

No you don't!!

I get the impression you sell most of your renovated stuff on again, to modellers who can't do as good a job as you, so you are providing a worthwhile service. Do you lose money on them?  I would hope you make a little profit on each one. And you obviously enjoy it!

Fair play to you. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Railwaygun

• N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #426 on: June 04, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »

No you don't!!

I get the impression you sell most of your renovated stuff on again, to modellers who can't do as good a job as you, so you are providing a worthwhile service. Do you lose money on them?  I would hope you make a little profit on each one. And you obviously enjoy it!

Cheers,

Chris

Let's hope that HMRC is understanding ( as they are cracking down on EBay sellers - a good excuse to use the local sales facilities!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 01:02:17 PM by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #427 on: June 04, 2015, 01:19:05 PM »

No you don't!!

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks, Chris!

Yes, I do sell most of them on (otherwise I'd be drowning in locos!) :). It's really just a hobby - I love restoring things - but sales cover the cost of paints and decals, the price of the odd loco that I keep and bits I buy for my layout (which I really must get round to finishing!).

I find the process of taking something unloved and broken, restoring it and knowing that it will be used and appreciated a very rewarding and cathartic one. Hopefully, people who see my locos on NGF and go on to buy them will know that patience and care has gone into their loco and that they're getting something, if not totally unique, at least a little different.

I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement - it's great to know that people like and value what I do. :)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #428 on: June 08, 2015, 09:20:58 AM »
I'm working on a 9F at the moment (amongst other things!). I've got the motor and valve gear running very sweetly but (as you can see below) the bodywork needs some TLC.

The body seems to have been made of two halves stuck together, the dome has been moved forward and some extra pipework added - I know the 9Fs had quite a lot of variations and improvements, but I'm wondering if the original modeller was aiming for a particular version/loco..? Any ideas/9F expertise welcomed! :)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #429 on: June 08, 2015, 09:26:01 AM »
Any ideas/9F expertise welcomed! :)

The Minitrix 9F (As it comes) is actually a Britannia shell on a continental chassis. As such it's (way) too long for the chassis and front overhang is large. Quite a few modellers came up with essentially the same fix to lop a chunk out of the forward boiler and therefore shorten it down to fit better on the chassis. There's a couple of mid 1980s articles in Railway Modeller I'm sure. Some also came up with methods to angle the cylinders more accurately.

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #430 on: June 08, 2015, 09:30:47 AM »
Any ideas/9F expertise welcomed! :)

The Minitrix 9F (As it comes) is actually a Britannia shell on a continental chassis. As such it's (way) too long for the chassis and front overhang is large. Quite a few modellers came up with essentially the same fix to lop a chunk out of the forward boiler and therefore shorten it down to fit better on the chassis. There's a couple of mid 1980s articles in Railway Modeller I'm sure. Some also came up with methods to angle the cylinders more accurately.

HTH,
Alan

Thanks Alan - that would certainly explain the "cut and shut" job! :)

Online Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #431 on: June 08, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
Looking good Ozymandias!

The LNER 2-6-4 is a Robinson L1 (later L3 after Thompson took the class designation for his own locomotive). Also, sorry about this (again) but I don't think any J39's actually made it into Green livery. Most wore plain black but a few were lined out in red (as per the Farish model). The green livery does look rather fetching on your loco though!  :) Liking the modified Minitrix 9F too, bet it'll pull a house down!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #432 on: June 08, 2015, 10:13:29 AM »
Looking good Ozymandias!

The LNER 2-6-4 is a Robinson L1 (later L3 after Thompson took the class designation for his own locomotive). Also, sorry about this (again) but I don't think any J39's actually made it into Green livery. Most wore plain black but a few were lined out in red (as per the Farish model). The green livery does look rather fetching on your loco though!  :) Liking the modified Minitrix 9F too, bet it'll pull a house down!

Thanks Atso - I didn't know what type the 2-6-4 was, so it's good to know! I confess that I googled liveries for the J39 (rather than doing "proper" research!) and found a pic of a OO gauge one in the green - I just liked the look of it, so I've gone for aesthetics rather than historical accuracy...  :-[

The 9F does run very well now - it'll be a great loco once it's had a tidy-up and a re-spray. Pics of progress will follow!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #433 on: June 09, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »
The J39 is finished! Satin varnish, silvered hand rails and a coal load make such a difference...

Sir Nigel's paint job is done (although the  :censored: :veryangry: valve gear and quartering still need some work). Bit chuffed with this livery - I love the colour.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #434 on: June 09, 2015, 09:59:44 AM »
Sir Nigel's paint job is done (although the  :censored: :veryangry: valve gear and quartering still need some work). Bit chuffed with this livery - I love the colour.

That is an excellent job!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal