!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 255178 times)

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #375 on: May 01, 2015, 01:22:52 PM »
An interesting discovery amongst a job lot I bought - sadly not one I can do much with, so it's on fleabay...

A rather lovely, if forlorn-looking SNCF loco by Rivarossi. It's missing a whole load of bits (including its tender drive) - if I had the skill to make them, I would, because the full loco is really something.

Sadly not suited to my layout though...

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #376 on: May 01, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »
Those Rivarossi NORD pacific tender drives suffer the same problem as Peco Jubs, metal rot, bits fall off, usually round the axle slots. The motor is the same as the Jub but mounted horizontally. I used a couple of the tender drives with Jubilees hacked into Lord Nelsons, when they started falling apart I switched to Minitrix 2077 drives which also had the benefit of fitting the earlier Nelson tenders, the NORDs had to use the later high sided tender.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #377 on: May 01, 2015, 03:52:15 PM »
A rather lovely, if forlorn-looking SNCF loco by Rivarossi. It's missing a whole load of bits (including its tender drive) - if I had the skill to make them, I would, because the full loco is really something.

Sadly as well as Mike's comments, these often also suffer decomposing magnets in the motors that soften and expand with time, seizing up the motor completely, and is basically impossible to repair. Fortunately this doesn't seem to happen too often with the Peco Jub version of the motor, but it does mean these Nord SNCF locos are fairly rare in good working complete condition!

Cheers
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #378 on: May 01, 2015, 04:20:34 PM »
I think I have one in the loft with my European stock,,,,,,interesting

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #379 on: May 01, 2015, 04:36:29 PM »
My usual reaction to a dead tender drive is to get a U&M one, if you need an 8 wheeler just find a spare pony truck and stick it in front.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Stevie DC

• Awards
« Reply #380 on: May 02, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »

Looking at that, you could move the bogie forwards a little, replace the body and stick a Farish A1 tender drive on the back and you'd have created a pretty good effort at a Thompson A1!  :P

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #381 on: May 08, 2015, 10:19:29 AM »
Some project updates...

Sir Nigel gets some lining - starting to look rather good, I love this blue. This was the body that got damaged in the stripping process, but some judicious sanding with very fine paper has got rid of the worst of it. It should end up a nice-looking loco:

The golden ochre 31 is now fully lined out:

Lining starts on the J39:

Not N Gauge, but the benefits of living near the Bluebell Railway... my sons with 847 at East Grinstead (we were only meant to be going to Sainsbury's...) ;)

I really must model this loco - does anyone know if it produced as a kit?

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #382 on: May 08, 2015, 11:45:25 AM »
Some project updates...

Sir Nigel gets some lining - starting to look rather good, I love this blue. This was the body that got damaged in the stripping process, but some judicious sanding with very fine paper has got rid of the worst of it. It should end up a nice-looking loco:

Very nice job - just check that the lining from the boiler bands didn't come over the side footplates (I think it didn't.

Always liked the blue livery, and you've achieved a very nice rendition so far  :thumbsup:

Cheers
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #383 on: May 08, 2015, 12:13:05 PM »
Some project updates...

Very nice job - just check that the lining from the boiler bands didn't come over the side footplates (I think it didn't.

Always liked the blue livery, and you've achieved a very nice rendition so far  :thumbsup:

Cheers
Alan

Thanks Alan!

I wasn't sure about how far the lining came down - this pic shows it coming down beyond the side of the boiler, but where to stop...?! ;)

http://www.docbrown.info/docspics/nymr/SteamGallery/28aP3312899.jpg

I think there should be a thin strip of black running along the top of the footplate, which the lining stops at - which means my curved lining at the front needs re-doing...

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #384 on: May 08, 2015, 12:16:18 PM »

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #385 on: May 08, 2015, 12:22:59 PM »
847 is a Maunsell S15 class, the closest kit you can get is the Langley S15 which is of the Urie version, differences being cab roof, footplate and tender, prototype pics and data here

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/s15class_1.html

Kit made up as supplied on Fleischmann 7161 chassis and tender drive

Kit modified to Maunsell version, footplate step up over cylinders flattened, new cab roof and BHE tender.

This one has tender body from the BHE N15 kit (tender available separately)  For tender drive in Maunsell version use either a Minitrix 2077 which is a bit wide for the BHE body, so either a lot of filing or use a Union Mills tender drive with an extra pair of wheels in front, another alternative would be to build a 6 wheel tender body (or hack a Farish 4F one)some of the Maunsell S15s originally ran with a 6 wheel tender on the SR central section as the 8 wheel tender made it too long for the turntables.

The Minitrix 2077 loco chassis has 6' drivers so is suitable for an SR H15 class with a bit of hacking to the motion, use the BHE N15 or Langley S15 +BHE tender kits.

Cheers MIKE

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #386 on: May 08, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »
Brilliant, thanks Mike! :)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #387 on: May 08, 2015, 02:08:38 PM »
One thing about the Fleischmann & Minitrix tender drives, with a white metal body they'll out pull just about anything else, mind you the UM drive under white metal don't do too bad either, but put it under a plastic or thin brass body and it's noticeable.

I like the BHE and Langley kits for the N15 and S15, play mix 'n match with them, wish Langley would supply the S15 watercart tender as a separate item, so many of the Drummond locos had them, 4-4-0s, and some of the 700s, inside bearings so no hassle with bogie side frames.

For the Urie and Maunsell 8 wheel tenders a few years back I had some etched bogie side frames made by Alan at Worsley Works, they needed axle boxes of which I've used a few different ones over the years, 2mm assoc, BHE and Etched pixels, some needed  bit of pruning or filing , he also did some coal rails and loco & tender steps, they look much better than the cast white metal ones in some kits. The most awkward part is fitting the bogie side frames, I usually cut a couple of pieces of brass strip and solder to the back of the frame and the inside of the body

Cheers MIKE

Offline paulprice

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #388 on: May 10, 2015, 02:54:59 PM »
I need to figure out how to get my chassis for my Ivatt 4 build working properly, its decided after weeks to keep losing the mesh with its gears and just sits there from time to time whirring away AAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH

The joys of N gauge, I guess when my patience wears so thin I contemplate using my sledge hammer I may send it to BR lines???

HELP HELP HELP

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #389 on: May 10, 2015, 05:25:27 PM »
HELP HELP HELP

What loco is the chassis from?

Cheers
Alan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal