!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 255410 times)

Offline DesertHound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #285 on: March 04, 2015, 12:06:57 PM »
 What is that lump of metal supposed to be? Surely not a train!

Looks like it's been in an accident if it is.
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #286 on: March 04, 2015, 12:14:10 PM »

The Arnold chassis of the Hymek is really, really jiggered. Not sure what I'm going to do about this, but it's going to involve glue and lots of swearing:

Ha lol.... I bought a Dapol one from ROS and when I took the body off the Dapol chassis looked like that!!! Happy Man I was not.... considering the listing said "Body Slightly Loose on Chassis" ..... Translated to chassis is  :censored: but we'll still try and charge you the earth for it!!!... Had to mill two new ends and get out my brazing wire!!  ... In the end after much back and forth conversations they refunded half the value...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:15:31 PM by Only Me »

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #287 on: March 04, 2015, 12:25:25 PM »
What is that lump of metal supposed to be? Surely not a train!

Looks like it's been in an accident if it is.

I think it might have been in several!! ;)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #288 on: March 04, 2015, 12:26:20 PM »

The Arnold chassis of the Hymek is really, really jiggered. Not sure what I'm going to do about this, but it's going to involve glue and lots of swearing:

Ha lol.... I bought a Dapol one from ROS and when I took the body off the Dapol chassis looked like that!!! Happy Man I was not.... considering the listing said "Body Slightly Loose on Chassis" ..... Translated to chassis is  :censored: but we'll still try and charge you the earth for it!!!... Had to mill two new ends and get out my brazing wire!!  ... In the end after much back and forth conversations they refunded half the value...

How did you fix it...?

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #289 on: March 04, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »
I'm afraid to admit but both of those would go in the scrap bin no chance of me fixing them ,I can't wait to see your progress on these two ,you sure are a glutton for punishment. I just don't believe you will ever get a good result out of them but if anyone can it's got to be you.
Please make sure you post pictures of each stage of the resurrection.
Bob

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Western Destroyer
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: March 04, 2015, 12:47:20 PM »
I got two pieces of metal, milled out new ends and then brazed them together and then ground the lot back to a usable frame... Would I do it again?

NO !!!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #291 on: March 05, 2015, 10:46:16 AM »
The "Concoction" has now been stripped further - still a good deal of fiddly work with pins and scalpel blades to winkle out the remaining paint and glue, but it's looking much better. No, really, it is.

The cab will be replaced with something a bit more British - Ive got a couple of old white metal ones kicking about that will do the job. It's amazing how much better these things look after a coat of primer...   :uneasy:

The chassis has been liberally slopped with 2 part metal glue (wonderful, if smelly and sticky stuff!) to try and stop the crumbly rot. A judicious filing-down will get it smooth and the adhesive will hold it together and act as filler. Hopefully.

At the slightly more presentable end of the scale, the 56 and 47 get closer to their final look, and a ghostly 86 has been primered and filled ready to become "Peter Pan" (not Airey Neave any more because Fox Transfers don't have that nameplate in stock...!) ;)

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: March 05, 2015, 10:52:44 AM »
For a moment there Oz, I thought my class 56 was in levitation!

Interesting work you have to do on the "train wreck". You mention picking out old paint. I was just wondering, is there any way you can drop the bodies in some kind of bath to strip the paint?

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Sipat

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #293 on: March 05, 2015, 10:59:56 AM »
bit of a curveball for your new monstrosity... 

Why not something like this... a bit of butchery to the tender, 'G1' people (1/32, scalextric sized) and you will have a convincing 'miniature' locomotive...

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1854197

Steve

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #294 on: March 05, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »

Interesting work you have to do on the "train wreck". You mention picking out old paint. I was just wondering, is there any way you can drop the bodies in some kind of bath to strip the paint?

Dan

Dan, there probably is - but I'm always wary of paint stripper and plastic bodies (have a guess why that is...!) ;-)

I wouldn't have a problem with dunking a metal body, but some plastic ones (especially the "soft" plastic used in some of the more recent Farish locos) will melt if you so much as waft cellulose thinner at them, let alone paint stripper!!

I generally brush on a coat of Homebase own brand stripper (less harsh than Nitromors and the like) and then, if it's started to lift after about five minutes, smother it in cream kitchen cleaner and toothbrush it off. If that doesn't shift it I just repeat until it does, and then give the result a going over with a pin or cocktail stick to clear holes/nooks/crannies.

Fear not about the floating 56 - it will be weighed down with varnish and decals shortly...! ;)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2015, 11:22:52 AM »

Why not something like this... a bit of butchery to the tender, 'G1' people (1/32, scalextric sized) and you will have a convincing 'miniature' locomotive...

Steve

That's an interesting idea, Steve, I like it - it'd be like the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch (been on that a few times!!) But would an O or 1/32 scale modeller want a working N Gauge loco? Do people mix scales like that on layouts?

Offline DesertHound

• www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #296 on: March 05, 2015, 11:45:10 AM »
Ah - silly me, I did have metal bodies in mind when thinking of "the dunk", just I didn't articulate it in words. Yes, I completely agree that plastic and stripper don't mix. Also, if you have a method that works well for plastic (as you do), why change it for metal bodies?

RH&DR - a fantastic little railway that I grew up with. It will always hold a special place in my heart that one.

Dan

Dan, there probably is - but I'm always wary of paint stripper and plastic bodies (have a guess why that is...!) ;-)

I wouldn't have a problem with dunking a metal body, but some plastic ones (especially the "soft" plastic used in some of the more recent Farish locos) will melt if you so much as waft cellulose thinner at them, let alone paint stripper!!

I generally brush on a coat of Homebase own brand stripper (less harsh than Nitromors and the like) and then, if it's started to lift after about five minutes, smother it in cream kitchen cleaner and toothbrush it off. If that doesn't shift it I just repeat until it does, and then give the result a going over with a pin or cocktail stick to clear holes/nooks/crannies.

Fear not about the floating 56 - it will be weighed down with varnish and decals shortly...! ;)

Offline Sipat

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #297 on: March 05, 2015, 12:08:56 PM »

Steve

That's an interesting idea, Steve, I like it - it'd be like the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch (been on that a few times!!) But would an O or 1/32 scale modeller want a working N Gauge loco? Do people mix scales like that on layouts?

Its something I've been toying with for a while, I have done my homework...
N gauge loco's/9mm gauge, with 0 gauge (7mm/foot) works out to be 15inch gauge - Romney sized.
N gauge Loco's/9mm gauge with G1, (10mm/foot) works out to be approx 10.25 inch which is my area of interest and the picture above.

A nice example of 09 (7mm/foot, 9mm track) is 'shifting sands' there are a few 09 layouts out there but I havene never seen one in '1' 9...

http://o9modeller.blogspot.co.uk/p/or-notes-from-enthusiastsdiary.html

and yes, I might be interested in the loco....

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #298 on: March 06, 2015, 11:30:21 AM »
Finally got round to finishing this one...

When I bought this little V170 (ages ago), it had been given a BR blue paint job with yellow ends. It looked like the paint had been applied with a hose, by a three-year-old.

I felt sorry for it, so I stripped it and gave it this Hungarian orange livery.

It'll never be the pride of anyone's collection, I suspect, but I can put it on ebay knowing that it has had a little love and attention... ;)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #299 on: March 11, 2015, 10:11:59 AM »
A few more on the go at the moment:

No prizes for what this is going to be...! That lettering took ages:

Dan's 47 and 56 - painting finished, now need to do varnishing and decals:

Sir Nigel of the Broken Nose completes his transformation into the Mallard:

A re-sprayed Ivatt - probably not historically accurate, but I love the colour!:

The B12 with shiny new valves and whistle. A bit of mucking around with the draw-bar to do to stop it lifting the tail-end of the loco off the rails and we're done:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal