!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 253938 times)

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2014, 01:36:58 PM »
My eye is firmly fixed on the E5. It's looking very lovely indeed.

It'll be for sale once it's done, Peter... ;)

I'm thinking white lining rather than yellow (as I did on the other Southern tank) for this one - I think that's more correct?
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Online Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #196 on: December 03, 2014, 02:02:46 PM »
Lining on Maunsell green should be black border, white inside, boiler bands white black white, Fox LNER white black white does the boiler bands nicely, I've also used it on tank  & cab sides, fix it as close to the edge as you can then go over the outer edge with a black fine liner. The prototype was 3" black and something like half inch white IIRC.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: December 03, 2014, 02:09:13 PM »
Lining on Maunsell green should be black border, white inside, boiler bands white black white, Fox LNER white black white does the boiler bands nicely, I've also used it on tank  & cab sides, fix it as close to the edge as you can then go over the outer edge with a black fine liner. The prototype was 3" black and something like half inch white IIRC.

Thanks Mike! That's what it shall be! :)

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2014, 02:27:32 PM »
Use this pic of a Dapol M7, the black doesn't show up too well, just remember it's outside the white

From 1923 to  around 1930 numbers would be prefixed by A for Ashford on ex SECR locos, B for Brighton on ex LBSC, or E for Eastleigh on ex LSWR, from around 1930 the prefix was removed, LSWR locos retained their origfinal numbers, exSECR had 1000 added to their  pregrouping number and exLBSC had 2000 added, Locos on the duplicate list which had pregrouping number preceded by a 0 had 3000 added to the number.

The A, B or E would be positioned like this   SOUTHERN
                                                                       E

Not many tank locos received Malachite, the M7' on ECS duties between Clapham and Waterloo were some of the few that did.

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: December 03, 2014, 02:31:44 PM »
Bloom free at last!! The Southern tank re-varnished (this time in warm and dry conditions!)

Minor point on this one - you should remove the central wheelset and swap it around so the join in the coupling rods is at the rear end of the chassis - this is the way it was originally on the Farish GP tanks.

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: December 03, 2014, 02:39:37 PM »
Bloom free at last!! The Southern tank re-varnished (this time in warm and dry conditions!)

Minor point on this one - you should remove the central wheelset and swap it around so the join in the coupling rods is at the rear end of the chassis - this is the way it was originally on the Farish GP tanks.

HTH,
Alan

Thanks Alan - will do! :)

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2014, 03:48:33 PM »
Here's confirmation of the lining on an E5. If you're very good with a paintbrush, it might be possible to paint on the black edging and then overlay that with the white lining:

I'm just guessing, of course. I have the E5 kit and a spare chassis but I'm not good enough to be able to tackle it yet.

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: December 05, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »
Finally finished the "London Transport" Prairie - here she is!:

Another one to be sold to fund the layout, sadly - but I'm going to re-do a Pannier tank in the same livery for myself.

The Prairie is on ebay if anyone fancies it...! :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: December 05, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »
Very smart :thumbsup:
 :greatwork:

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: December 05, 2014, 01:19:53 PM »
Great work! Now where's the soot and dirt of the London Underground? ;)

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: December 05, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »
Great work! Now where's the soot and dirt of the London Underground? ;)

Ha! :) I haven't got into weathering yet - I like my locos spick and span... ;)

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: December 07, 2014, 08:40:38 AM »
Oz

It's been on my mind for a while now to let you know about body sales (loco bodies that is  :D) that come up on ebay. Most have come and gone but check out what this guy is selling:

ebay username: craigrumball09

He's the chap that has lots and lots of scrap bodies for sale. He takes the picture with them balanced on his laptop keyboard (that might jog your memory, since I don't have a direct link to take you there).

Anyway, his bodies are often of no use to the general buyer, since they are scraped, split, chopped - you name it. They're a mixture of all sorts (Poole / Chinese Farish, possibly Lima and other makes).

I know you've been working on and selling complete locos but would you consider bodies only (seeing that's where your expertise is). I know I'd be interested in bidding / commissioning some Poole Farish bodies from you.

Just a thought but definitely worth you checking out what this guy has to offer. I couldn't think of a better home for these scrap bodies.

Also, to the mods, this has to go down as thread of the year. Just look at the no. of views! Do we have a competition for such a thing? (And if so then you can throw my hat in the ring for "cheesiest thread of the year" with my Christmas Calendar).

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #207 on: December 08, 2014, 09:20:47 AM »
Oz

It's been on my mind for a while now to let you know about body sales (loco bodies that is  :D) that come up on ebay. Most have come and gone but check out what this guy is selling:

ebay username: craigrumball09

He's the chap that has lots and lots of scrap bodies for sale. He takes the picture with them balanced on his laptop keyboard (that might jog your memory, since I don't have a direct link to take you there).

Anyway, his bodies are often of no use to the general buyer, since they are scraped, split, chopped - you name it. They're a mixture of all sorts (Poole / Chinese Farish, possibly Lima and other makes).

I know you've been working on and selling complete locos but would you consider bodies only (seeing that's where your expertise is). I know I'd be interested in bidding / commissioning some Poole Farish bodies from you.

Just a thought but definitely worth you checking out what this guy has to offer. I couldn't think of a better home for these scrap bodies.

Also, to the mods, this has to go down as thread of the year. Just look at the no. of views! Do we have a competition for such a thing? (And if so then you can throw my hat in the ring for "cheesiest thread of the year" with my Christmas Calendar).

Dan

Thanks, Dan, I really appreciate it! :) I'll definitely have a look out for those scrap body shells. What sort of work are you looking to have done on your Poole bodies? I'd be happy have a go for you!

Gideon

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2014, 09:33:57 AM »
Gideon

I have a few chassis which need "clothing" and also wouldn't mind a couple of extra bodies to swap with some of my originals when I fancy a change. Of course I could ask for some of my original bodies to be resprayed but I'm a bit of a stickler for that and think we should first be salvaging the "unsalvageable" from ebay and turning scrap into pride of fleet.

I have Poole diesels across the complete spectrum and I'm guessing (although feel free to tell me otherwise) that diesels are an easier project than kettles. I'd be interested in all kinds but BR Blue and Railfreight Grey spring to mind  :D

Who knows, one or two of your specimens and I might pluck up the confidence to have a go myself. Your work really is infectious in making me want to go down this road. Perhaps it's the hurdle of "a few muck ups first" that's holding me back.

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: December 08, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »
My eye is firmly fixed on the E5. It's looking very lovely indeed.

It'll be for sale once it's done, Peter... ;)

If the way your Prairie is going on eBay, the E5 will be out of my budget. Still, you deserve a good sale after all that great work.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal